PDA

View Full Version : Think I picked up a new allergy.

wallenba
07-11-2013, 07:25 PM
I last went shooting June 8th. The next day I felt a little tickle in my throat. The day after that my sinuses would not stop flowing and I was coughing non stop. I thought I had a cold. That kept up for about two weeks. Into the third week I began to suspect allergy. I have never had any pollen type allergy reactions before. A few years ago I took allergy tests and got a positive for cats and house dust. Well... I don't have any cats. He advised removing the carpeting, which I ignored largely because I'm lazy. Remembering that, I spent a day removing it and the padding. It was ruined by my dogs as they aged and became incontinent, and where I had been cleaning up, it still showed anyway, so, I'm not missing it.
Things have improved somewhat with the sinuses, but I still have coughing fits from time to time, especially if I lay down.
Can allergies cause mainly coughing? I don't know enough, and am holding off visiting the doc. I'm tracking the pollen count here regionally on http://www.pollen.com/allergy-weather-forecast.asp , and the trends seem to agree with my symptoms. Where I shoot seems to be much higher count daily though, keeping me home. Flonase and throat lozenges help, but I'm beginning to wonder if this will ever end, it's been over a month now. Anybody ever have similar experiences?:-|

Hickory
07-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Yes, you do seem to have symptoms of a new allergy.
This would educated guess, and nothing more, but from your description it
appears you are now allergic to lead.
So, as I live in the next state south of you, I'll come up this weekend and remove all lead from your property, (at no charge).
PM me your address and I'll be at you place on Saturday 10:00am sharp.:bigsmyl2::kidding:
Yours truly
Hickory

wallenba
07-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Yes, you do seem to have symptoms of a new allergy.
This would educated guess, and nothing more, but from your description it
appears you are now allergic to lead.
So, as I live in the next state south of you, I'll come up this weekend and remove all lead from your property, (at no charge).
PM me your address and I'll be at you place on Saturday 10:00am sharp.:bigsmyl2::kidding:
Yours truly
Hickory

Hey....I think you're makin' that up....
Nice try Hickory:wink:

Hickory
07-11-2013, 08:12 PM
I can't trick anyone anymore, . . . I've lost my touch.

Three-Fifty-Seven
07-11-2013, 08:22 PM
day ...

**oneshot**
07-11-2013, 08:57 PM
I have allergy induced asthma. I normally settle down with the weezing right after Mothers day. This year it hasn't stopped or even let up at all. My Dr said that all of his patience with allergies have been knocking on his door all summer. He can't explain it.

bob208
07-11-2013, 09:22 PM
i must have an allergy to money. because i have done good at staying away from it all my life.

daniel lawecki
07-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Your allergy will get some what better when all this rain stops.

theperfessor
07-11-2013, 11:55 PM
Post nasal drip will cause the coughing you describe.

wallenba
07-12-2013, 12:05 AM
I've had good sucsess with Alegra ... It is an over the counter deal, purple package, one pill a day ...

My doctor has advised me in the past against using over the counter or prescription anti-histamines. I have a history of rapid and irregular heartbeat, and I am on meds for that. The anti-histamines will increase my heart rate.
To quote the great C3PO, " I was made to suffer, it's my lot in life".:bigsmyl2:

nhrifle
07-12-2013, 12:37 AM
With the wet weather we've been having, wouldn't surprise me if you got a good whiff of some mold.

gandydancer
07-12-2013, 12:53 AM
Post nasal drip? Oh. you mean OBAMA? Hillary? & ? & ? all of them??

pmeisel
07-12-2013, 07:26 AM
Just a question, Dutch, have you had any medication changes? I had a similar problem with a change in BP meds a few years back. Doc changed the BP pills and it went away.

But really high pollen counts will do it too. I used to live in your part of the world and suffered miserably every July and August.

Wayne Smith
07-12-2013, 07:53 AM
We develop allergies over the years. Do some research on house based allergies. Enclose your mattress in plastic. Run your pillows in the dryer on high heat for 20 min. every other week. Do the same for couch pillows. Since you had dogs, you ought to throughly clean all the furniture. Get an air cleaner that removes at the micron level. This is a beginning of cleaning up the home.

labdwakin
07-12-2013, 08:32 AM
I think NHrifle hit the nail on the head. I have problems with mold too (not to be confused with mould ;-) ). Might want to try using a squirt bottle of bleach water on any spots of mold you see around the house and at the range. Just my $.02.

375RUGER
07-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Allergies are not always obvious in the form of sneezing, stuffy head, or itching that most people associate with allergies. They can be revealed as muscle pain, headaches, migraines, abdominal pain, swelling, organ pain, blurred vision, hot flashes, ringing in the ears, the list goes on.

wallenba
07-12-2013, 10:33 AM
I think NHrifle hit the nail on the head. I have problems with mold too (not to be confused with mould ;-) ). Might want to try using a squirt bottle of bleach water on any spots of mold you see around the house and at the range. Just my $.02.

Come to think of it, it could be mold. I had my entire A/C replaced just a couple of days prior to the onset. The old unit just could not be repaired anymore, and I was tired of dealing with it . My house is on a crawl space, so my HVAC runs the duct work under the house. This means my unit is a counterflow, the evaporator is underneath the furnace, and I can't access it to inspect or clean. The installers could have stirred stuff up in there. I plan to replace the 62 year old duct work to help get a handle on the dust problem I have. Been waiting for cooler weather to do that.
I notice too, that I am better in the mornings, because I sleep at night with a Bi-PAP (similar to a C-PAP) device, and it is filtered air.

DLCTEX
07-12-2013, 04:44 PM
I have many allergies and mostly live with them as many meds give me terrible side effects or I am allergic to them. Benadryll, for example. Last week something on the south wind gave me fits. Every time I am in our bathroom for more than one minute my nose runs like mad and we have removed everything we can think of. I feel your pain.

RayinNH
07-12-2013, 08:47 PM
A little alchohol applied internally might help, temporarily.:2 drunk buddies: :kidding:

nhrifle
07-12-2013, 08:57 PM
A little alchohol applied internally might help, temporarily.:2 drunk buddies: :kidding:

pmeisel
07-13-2013, 08:28 AM
If it is airborne in the house, one of those little electronic air purifiers may help, similar to your PAP device. Also, if it's in the house, try spending some time outside right after a thunderstorm and see if that helps. A good thunderstorm will take most of the pollen out of the air. May help you nail down the problem.

I sympathize, brother, I had terrible congestion and asthma for years......

mold maker
07-13-2013, 08:46 AM
I used Allegra D as long as it was covered by ins. Since then I just blow my honker and make the best of it. This year is the worst I have ever witnessed.

blackthorn
07-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Might be an allergy---might not! Do not wait too long before you go see a Dr.!! If it is an allergy, nothing lost BUT if it aint------