PDA

View Full Version : Question using 2400 in the 45/70

jh45gun
10-05-2007, 12:26 AM
OK I normally shoot loads in my Remington Roller that are in the low Marlin/ Winchester range of loadings which was declared safe for my gun as it is a Number 5 Smokeless Powder Reciever. I was a 7mm in a former life and rebarreled with a Green Mountain 32 inch Full Octagon Barrel. Powder I use is IMR 3031. and Lee 405 grain bullets ( the .459 hollow base ones) though they do not weigh that much they are in the 380's some one gave me some cast bullets that I did not cast that are a flat base and roundnose 4 grease grooves (Don't know what make of mould that cast them) They weigh about 385 grains and measure .460 so I will lube them up with some LLA and run them through my .459 sizer. Anyway that is the background so far I have some 2400 and some Unique on had though I would prefer to save the unique for some shot shell loads I plan on loading so back to the 2400 I have used it for all my cast loads sofar EXCEPT the 45/70. I hate the idea of using dacron wads which the Lyman book calls for. Since 2400 is not position sensative is it neccessary. If so is it because of the big case? OK if that is the case I have a friend that swears by using a tuff of Toilet paper to keep the powder at the case or can I just tip the barrel for each shot and bypass the wads as long as I mark these as the ones with 2400. I do not have any issues using 2400 with all my other cast loads it is my favorite powder but I never used it before in the 45/70 so that is why I am asking. Also asking as I am going to a family get to gether where we are going to do some shooting and I just cannot swing a pound of 3031 now as with hunting season going on and other ways to see my cash flow dwindle I would just rather try some 2400 loads and see how they do.

Scrounger
10-05-2007, 12:38 AM
2400 powder will work fine in .45-70; don't have a book in front of me but I'd guess maybe 20 grains would be a good place to start. There was some poster here years ago who solved the excess case room problem by simply seating the bullet on top of the powder, sort of like a .38 wadcutter. It's doable if you're not running the rounds through a magazine.

pumpguy
10-05-2007, 01:00 AM
My favorite load for my 45-70 is 25 grains of 2400 behind a 420 grain boolit. I don't know what you would have to back off to to get the pressure down, but, I NEVER use a wad and never have had a problem. Good luck.

jh45gun
10-05-2007, 01:12 AM
Thanks Pumpguy that is what I was hopeing I would hear I will just take the bullets lighter weight in consideration and figure out what grains I will start out at. Since my roller is based on a smokeless I can load these a bit more than what the Trapdoor loadings would be so I will try to get a velocity range that compares more to what my normal loads are which are in the 1500 fps range.

DonH
10-05-2007, 05:31 AM
A quarter sheet of toilet paper tucked loosely into the case works nicely to position the powder. I have loaded .45-70 and .40-65 rounds this way using 4759, 5744 and 4227 and had good results. I use a pencil or dowel to just push the paper into the case far enough that the bullet will push it on down when seated. It will not be tightly packed in the case with powders in the burning rate in question.

Lloyd Smale
10-05-2007, 06:40 AM
ive shot 1000s of 405s and 20 grains of 2400. A load by the way that was recomended to me by paco kelly. No filler needed. Very accurate and mild.

Ricochet
10-05-2007, 09:50 AM
I never went over 27 grains of 2400 with 405 grain bullets in my Marlin. I think my old Lyman book went up to about 32 grains, maybe 33, with 300 grain JHPs in the 1886 Winchester, and I've loaded a lot of them at whatever that top level in Lyman used to be. Haven't since getting into cast heavily, though. I never used fillers with 2400.

jh45gun
10-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks Guys I never use fillers with any of my other cast loads but since the Book said to use them I thought I would ask here if I could get by with not using them as I do not in any of my other cast loads for other calibers. Since C.E. Harris said that 2400 was not position sensitive I figured I would get the replys I did. Thanks guys you are the greatest when it comes to answering questions about reloading here.

jh45gun
10-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Thinking about 25 grains of 2400 which should put me 0ver 1400 fps and under 1500 some where in the middle. which should work fine for those flat base bullets. Which will be under what my 3031` loads are but not by too much so I am thinking I should not have to change my sighting picture too much. Hopeing I will like that load as then I will not have to buy an other powder just to load 45/70 and then 2400 will suffice for all my cast loads. If the 25 grain loads do not shoot well then I will have to drop the load a few grains but for the most part that Green Mountain Barrel is not that fussy seems like no matter what loads I have tried so far it shoots them all well. Then the only other powder needs I will have to buy for is my shotguns.