PDA

View Full Version : Odd Stuff

1Shirt
10-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Every once in awhile at both the reloading bench and on the range I find myself not being able to locate something (gadgets, whatnots, etc) that I need, want, should have brought, bought, etc. Got to thinking about double of some things like the multi screwdrivers /punch, star tool, etc., that fold up and take little space (and get misplaced on the loading bench). Same for the fold up set of allen wrenches, and the little screwdriver set that go down to the size of fixing the little screw in your glasses. Am always interested in what others find to be either nice to have or essential on the loading bench or at the range. Here are a few that I like to have handy:

Med size Vice Grip for range box/large for bench (American Made)
Small compact boxed set of gunsmith screwdriver tips that fit into handle
Rubber Bands (just can't have to many)
Extra box of staples and just in case the stapler breaks, small box of push pins
One each cleaning jag for each cal that I own
A 5 piece mil cleaning rod that fits in my box in case I forget my regular cleaning rod
Role of masking tape/or maybe duct tape, or maybe both
Spare set or two of ear plugs
One each Lee case trimmer for each case I load on the bench, and a small cheap 1/4" drill. Gave up on the older ones.
At least one Micrometer on the bench
At least one Caliper for both bench and box (for ego trips on the range)
A couple of perm fine line black markers for both bench and box (they hide on me)

Now I have probably missed some things that I routinely have but am always interested ow what others have that I have overlooked, failed to think about, or just can't live without. Anyway, look forward to replies and additions to my oversight(s) on what I should have and just didn't know it!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Dale53
10-05-2007, 01:18 AM
One of my most used "On the Line" tools is my Chapman wrench set with accompanying allen wrench bits. I much prefer the older, much more compact, Red Chapman box for my shooting box.

I keep my shooting box small for a reason. The bigger it is the more stuff that finds its way in to it. I prefer the small wooden tool box that sold at Lowe's and like places several years ago.

The plastic tool boxes are perhaps more practical but I frankly prefer the small wooden "tool box".

Of course, the Chapman set must be reinforced with "Torx" wrench bits for your scope mounts.

My pistol box contains a small piece of carpet to lay on the bench to protect my handguns. It is the "Gun Ho" model. My spotting scope is a compact 50mm objective, 20 power, Bushnell Sentry. I have been very happy with this scope for many years.

Dale53

Pepe Ray
10-05-2007, 02:04 AM
In general, I agree. I'm cheap, but over many years I've found it very benificial to have dupes of many items/tools. Esp'ly calipers.
One thing I've receintly discovered,On my own thank you, is that they dont make rubber bands like they used to.
Mine kept rotting off of whatever I was using it for. Then I noticed some stretchy cord like colored girlly things laying around. Picked one up to return it to its owner and discovered that it seemed to be rather substantial. When I inquired as to what it was for I discovered Hair (Pony Tail) retainers.
They come in a wide array of colors and sizes ie. Strengths. Find them at your local Dollar Store or Drug store. It's easy to make them longer by slip knotting them. A little experimentaling will show you how to retain your straps, belts, primer catchers, hold packages closed, bundle batteries etc, etc.
Your welcome.Pepe Ray

1Shirt
10-05-2007, 07:30 AM
Already words of wisdom! Piece of carpet has merit, and the girly pony tail keepers would make a good addition to my range box. Yep, have also noticed that rubber bands arn't what they used to be.

Wayne Smith
10-05-2007, 07:57 AM
I'm not sure rubber bands ever were what they used to be. I remember them hardening up and shattering when I was a kid. I know I'm far from the oldest here. Anyone remember them better?

I keep a bore light in a drawer on the bench as well.

beemer
10-05-2007, 08:58 AM
You mean nobody keeps pony tail holders in their pocket. Even those have gotten cheap in the last few years.

beemer

Scrounger
10-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Rubber bands get brittle and break when they are exposed to sunlight too long. How about those twist ties you use in the produce section of your supermarket?

ron brooks
10-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Use velcro <sp?> strips. You can buy it in hobby shops and even colored ones for organizing the cables inside and outside of a computer.

monadnock#5
10-05-2007, 10:59 AM
A tub of waterless hand cleaner and paper towels has taken up residence in my range bag. No more driving home with grimy, nasty hands.

At the loading bench, I've mounted a paper towel dispenser nearby, and have gotten rid of the shop rags. The paper towels are always handy, and when they get used up they go in the trash. No more issues with the CinC over the proper use of the ship's laundry.

VTDW
10-05-2007, 11:15 AM
1Shirt,

My supplies mirror yours. I also have a small calculator and small digital scale, dry erase markers in black, red, blue, and green for marking loads I am working up. I may have to switch to those hair thingies to put around my cartridge holder/boxes when I get loads worked up.:-D A nice, lighted magnifying lamp is attached to the first row of shelves above my bench to assist my old eyes. A can of compressed air is handy for when the compressor isn't pressured up.

Dave

454PB
10-05-2007, 11:26 AM
The best rubber bands I've ever found were some I made from condemned electrical lineman's rubber gloves. I cut them into bands and have used them for many, many years. They are hard to get, once they are condemned most safety departments destroy them to insure they never get used.

Maybe Lloyd Smale will read this and volunteer to scrounge me some more!

MN91311
10-05-2007, 09:16 PM
The parts of the lineman's rubber gloves that I use are the rounded part on the end of the cuffs. Carefully cut from the rest of the gloves, they are round and very useful for holding things together.

I used them for tire-chain tighteners way back when I used chains, for instance.

Sundogg1911
10-05-2007, 10:20 PM
I keep a little multi-compartment clear plastic box with batteries for; red dots, electronic ear protection, shot timer. Chrony, etc. Every time I don't have 'em, I need 'em
also a pack of baby wipes. Never anywhere to wash my hands at the range. I always have velcro, and nylon cable ties as well. Dont have the hair ties since I cut off about 2 1/2 ft of hair around 1990 [smilie=1:

monadnock#5
10-06-2007, 04:05 PM
A couple more items I've found that make life easier at the loading bench are various types of brushes. Toothbrushes for gun cleaning, it's amazing how much dirt and gunk they pick up. And when they get dirty, a little Ed's Red and a paper towel make them almost new again. Solder brushes have a place. I used one to clean trapped powder particles out of the slide cavity in my Lyman 55 this morning. And best of the bunch is a machinists brush marked TBW #77 100% pure bristle. It's 5" long overall, 3-1/4" of handle and 1-3/4" of bristles. It is absolutely perfect for cleaning up small powder spills and cleaning grit off the machinery. It's much easier to work with than a clunky fox tail type brush.

mooman76
10-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Seems like I am always forgetting somthing critical any more every time I go to the range. I'm getting to where I bring extra guns in case something goes wrong and I can't shoot one gun, I at least have something else to shoot so I don't wast a trip. I got the idea a few years ago to put all my mags. in one place. A friend came to town and of coarse we had to take a large selection of guns out and as you know it I forgot my mags.
I got a big plastic tool box from Walmart to keep extra what nots. One thing I didn't see mentiond was a small flashlight. Not usually needed but when you need it, you need it. Also good for checking range brass to see if is berdan primed or not. A little plastic bucket is good also for those of you that pick up range brass.

Kraschenbirn
10-06-2007, 04:38 PM
100% agree with about everything mentioned so far but here's two more things that I wouldn't be without on my loading/casting bench:

1) Tweezers for those small, hard-to-get-a-grip-on items...like replacement decapping pins, itty-bitty set screws, or that last primer that won't flip on the tray when you're pre-loading primer tubes for the progressive.

2) A good penlight; either a Mag-Lite Mini or one of the newer high-intensity LED types. My ol' eyeballs, sometimes, need all the help they can get when inspecting brass or reading the worn markings on some of my older dies, molds, and sizers.

Bill

Oh yeah, try your local hobby shop...one that handles REAL model airplane kits and model builder's supplies...as a source for GOOD rubber bands. For years, us RC (radio control) flyers have used rubber bands to secure the wings on our take-down models.

1Shirt
10-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Well, looks like tweezers and a variety of small brushes will be added to the bench and box. Haden't thought about a calculator, either, but that makes sense.
So does the paper roll towel holder in the reloading area, but can't get rid of the oil wipe rags altogether, as they are kind of like old friends. The small perm markers in different colors sure make sense. And yep, gotta get a can of waterless hand cleaner to keep in the pick up, for after range time. All cheap suggestions and good thoughts. Thanks guys!

Dale53
10-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Lots of good suggestions here. One thing that I have not seen mentioned is the "type" of batteries in your flashlight. I have come to depend on LED flashlights as the bulb(s) doesn't break when you drop it. In addition, if you carry a flashlight in your vehicle, by the time you need it the batteries are dead from just sitting around not being used. My LED flashlights (from Walmart) now are powered by "Lithium Batteries". They are rather pricey ($10.00 for four AA's) but they have a TEN YEAR shelf life. I am a practicing photographer and my electronic flashes are now powered by lithium batteries for just this reason. They are not rechargeable, but they are ALWAYS ready when needed. I don't need cheap, I need NOW!:-D

Regarding toothbrushes, I take an issue AR cleaning brush (has kind of a toothbrush on one end and a very small one on the other). Definitely a step up in usefulness. Great for cleaning around a revolver cylinder (you can actually run it through the chambers as well as under the extractor, etc).

Of course, I am never without my Chapman screw driver kit with the extra bits for allen and torq screws.

One caution however, you will want to keep your maintenance tool box SMALL. No matter WHAT size it is, you will fill it. It looks bad when you get it so big you can't lift it in and out of your vehicle:mrgreen:. SMALL is the watchword, then be selective with what you carry.

I noticed that I am a bit redundant, here. Sorry...
Dale53

floodgate
10-08-2007, 08:29 PM
Dale:

"One caution however, you will want to keep your maintenance tool box SMALL. No matter WHAT size it is, you will fill it. It looks bad when you get it so big you can't lift it in and out of your vehicle. SMALL is the watchword, then be selective with what you carry."

It's Newton's Fourth Law: Any toolbox will IMMEDIATELY fill itself to 110% of its capacity.

Doug

Bigjohn
10-08-2007, 08:49 PM
A small pack of "Bandaids" and "Betadine" (Antiseptic) for the small injuries [Like when you 'shoot' yourself in the stomach with a staple while trying to put a loaded stapler back into it's box].

I find that a set of cleaning brushes for cleaning spray guns; which come in a set of different sizes and length of handle.

I haven't seen anyone mention the 'Kitchen Sink' yet![smilie=1:

John.

monadnock#5
10-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Just one more thought on the toothbrushes and gun cleaning. The first item I use is a dry regular toothbrush. I don't use solvent the first go round as I don't want crud migrating into places where it isn't already. The tight bundles of filaments that make up the brush have an amazing wicking action that sucks the fouling up until it won't pick up anymore. At that point, since all you're doing is spreading the gunk around, the Ed's Red comes out and the brush gets cleaned. All the AR style brushes I've seen use black bristles, so you can't tell when the brush is saturated. With a white brush however, it's easy to see. Also, a brush that's worn and bent out of shape won't have any wicking action, they get retired to the recycling center.

Dale, I didn't know Chapman sold Torx bits for their drivers. Thanks for the heads up.

Dale53
10-13-2007, 11:25 AM
monadnock#5;
I don't know, for sure, If I got the torx bits from Chapman or not. However, they are available wherever the bits are sold and have standard shanks so they will work with the Chapman handle and extension.

For single bits, I just go to a local hardware store (a real one) or auto parts store and buy there. Single bits are available at Lowe's and Home Depot for reasonable prices and decent quality.

Of course, if you have an order going to Brownell's they will have the torx bits for sure.

Dale53