PDA

View Full Version : Lee 7.62x39 Results in 30/30 Handi

Joel Chavez
10-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Well, my boy and I made it to the range this afternoon to try out the pointy boolits in his 30/30 at 25yds. As they say, "the proof is in the pudding."

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p169/jazr45acp/100_1114.jpg

The one on the far left was shot just as the guy next to us sounded off with a 50 cal. Neither one of us was prepared for that. My boy said his insides shook. I didn't tell him about my shorts.[smilie=1: The bazooka guy allowed my boy to shoot first after that. The group measured about 1/2" for the four shots on the bottom of the center. He compensated on the last shot to hit the center. Not bad for a 9yrs old little boy that up until last month had never shot a rifle before. Papa is very proud.:mrgreen:

1Shirt
10-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Joel, Now that you have the youngin indoctrinated, be sure to follow up with practice for him every chance you get. No such thing as starting them to young. Need to give him some tin can or clay pidgen targets to move or break once in awhile to keep his interest up. Thanks for the post!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Joel Chavez
10-05-2007, 12:02 AM
Thanks 1shirt. We've been shooting at least twice a week for the last few weeks now . He sure does like it when papa loads him up some winners.:-D I think we'll be settling on this boolit since it's been the best of them all to date. We were actually going to try the "tin can" approach, but the owner of the range would have nothing to do with it. That is totally out of the question at my range.:( However, the owner leaves shop at 6 o'clock sharp so I guess we'll be there at 6:01pm on our next visit. :twisted: Oh, I almost forgot. The details of the load are as follow: COL was set at 2.630", 7.0gr of Unique, and Fed. LP primers. I'll chrono them on Sat. and see what I get.:castmine: Later.

RU shooter
10-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Yes That boolit will shoot well I found it shoots well in all my rifles as matter of fact!

Johnch
10-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Ever slug your barrel ?

My Handi rifle barrel in 7.62 x 39 slugs at .3085 - .309 depending how I hold the bullet and the Mic.

Mine is also verry accurate

John

Joel Chavez
10-05-2007, 09:05 PM
I did slug the Handi and it came out at .308 on the money. I did it several times just to make sure I was getting the same measurement. I sized some Lee soup can boolits at .309 and they shot OK, but not nearly as good as when they were sized at .311. The 7.62x39 sized at .311 shot way better than the "soup can" boolits when sized the same. The grouping was half the size. Go figure.:confused: Later.

Buckshot
10-08-2007, 09:55 PM
...............Very cool Joel. Tell your son he'll make a 'Hand'.

...............Buckshot