PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a new mattress

theperfessor
07-10-2013, 10:52 PM
I'm in the market for a new mattress and am looking for recommendations. If you have a memory foam mattress, would you recommend it? How about the Sleep Number? Any others? We've gone through two or three in recent years and they all end up with permanent depressions in them that are hard on our backs. We definitely need to try something else.

Love Life
07-10-2013, 10:53 PM
I have a sleep number and it is the Bee's knees!! My side is how I like it, and the wife's side is how she likes it.

Ensure both sides are inflated to the same pressure before engaging in physical activities...

Jailer
07-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Bought a Beautyrest last year -firm- and love it. It's their middle of the road mattress and not a pillow top. The Warden and I sleep like babies on it.

I just couldn't get a feel for the memory foam mattresses and didn't want mechanical parts that could fail with the sleep number matresses.

xs11jack
07-10-2013, 11:14 PM
I had a sleep number bed and sold it. I am a spraller. And the air bags in a queen sleep number bed are only 24" wide, that is two little for me. And the edges are not firm enough to sit on. I found a medium firmnes with a pillow top on it and I am happy, happy, happy.
Ole Jack

Bored1
07-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Not sure if you can find one, but try looking for a pillowtop waterbed. I have a California king size one and it looks like a normal pillow top mattress, however the top unzips around the side and it has 10 or 12 water tubes in it, for some reason can't remember right now how many. But each tube is light enough full for me to carry it alone from the bathroom downstairs to the bed and situate it how it needs to go. Best part about it is each tube is marked with fill lines so you can fill from soft to extra firm, and since it's water, no depression EVER. And you can adjust it however you want, depending on how you and the misses like your sides of the bed. You can even have it 3 different ways if decide too!

The best part is that if somehow a leak does get sprung, its not as bad as a normal water bed because its only the one tube that you have to clean up. Even extra tubes at all the furniture dealers around town.

JeffinNZ
07-10-2013, 11:23 PM
I have two lil girls. The eldest is nearly 9. I've been tired for 9 years. I can sleep on nails there days. :-)

SciFiJim
07-11-2013, 12:39 AM
I have a sleep number and it is the Bee's knees!! My side is how I like it, and the wife's side is how she likes it.

Ensure both sides are inflated to the same pressure before engaging in physical activities...

I too, have a sleep number bed. My wife keeps her's at 95 and I keep mine at 60. Before, we had a fancy pillow top mattress and I always had back aches.

Love Life, use one side and not the middle.:twisted:

uscra112
07-11-2013, 12:40 AM
Sleep number. I've had all kinds, including a waterbed, but for the rest of my life it will be this one. I do not sprawl, though. Buy JUST the mattress. Do not bother with that expensive gimcrack compressor they sell. Nobody that I have talked into buying a Sleep Number has had good results with it. I just blow mine up by mouth (pressure is only one or two PSI) and cap the fill tube. Maybe once every 6 months it I have to add a little air.

smokeywolf
07-11-2013, 01:26 AM
A mid-priced extra-firm without pillowtop. Then buy one of the memory foam toppers and throw that on top. After a couple of years, just replace the memory foam topper and you have a near new mattress.

smokeywolf

wlc
07-11-2013, 01:36 AM
Sleep number here as well. Had a memory foam at one time, but didn't like it at all. No more back aches with the sleep number.

buckwheatpaul
07-11-2013, 06:51 AM
We have 2 Sleep By Numbers mattresses....they are great .... my wife has back problems and she sleeps like the angel she is on them.....

Calamity Jake
07-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Sleep number here as well and love it.

jmort
07-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Sounds like the Sleep Number is a winner. I got a memory foam and really like it. I like the movement isolation.

scottiemom
07-11-2013, 10:54 AM
we got a Serta memory foam last year. Not too bad, but when we put a memory foam/egg crate topper we had on the old bed, made all the difference.

gofastman
07-11-2013, 11:04 AM
I tried a memory foam mattress in the store, it was comfy but it held heat like nobody's business. I'm always hot so I need a material that breathes a bit.
They now have gel memory foam thats supposed to address this exact issue and it looks really nice, I cant remember who makes it, maybe Sealy?

Wots
07-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Sleep number for sure!
The wife and I liked it so much we got one for the camper.

Moonie
07-11-2013, 02:58 PM
We have had a sleep number for years, worked and stayed about 90 miles away from home during the week for over 2 years, we got one for me to use while there so we now have an 11 year old with a sleep number. I wouldn't be without my sleep number. I have 3 ruptured disks in my mid-back, my sleep number is 35, wife is 60, we could not find any other bed that we could both be happy with as I require it soft and she needs it much firmer. The only issue we have with ours is we wish we had gotten a King instead of the queen, we now share it with a couple of dogs, thankfully they are small dogs. But it is amazing how much room a small dog can take up.

Love Life
07-11-2013, 03:04 PM
We have the King size. It fits my wife and I just fine. It even fits the 80 lb boxer, and on occasion, my little girl when she sneaks into the bead in the morning.

As for losing air. Mine has had the same air in it for over 7 months with without having to add more air. This is after the little girl has been caught jumping on the bed and after my 80 lb dog jumping in and out of the bed at night.

Blacksmith
07-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Perfessor
What ever you get DON'T REMOVE THE TAG!:kidding:

theperfessor
07-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Perfessor
What ever you get DON'T REMOVE THE TAG!:kidding:

I can hear the sirens now!

j_dude77
07-11-2013, 09:33 PM
I have a Sealy Memory foam mattress. You can get them in different thicknesses. Get the thickest you can. I never had a heat problem with mine. I did put a cover on it that is some weird waterproof cloth on it. I have kids and did not want them spilling anything on it. It took a week to get used to it but I love it. I have had it for about 2 years now and no impressions on it. Oh and if you do get it follow the directions and take it out of the shrink wrap for a day or two before you sleep on it.

NSB
07-11-2013, 09:35 PM
I bought a top of the line memory foam with gel foam on top of that to dissipate heat. Got it three weeks ago. It's going back this week and being replaced with a latex foam mattress. It's like sleeping on an electric blanket even with the gel foam. When you move, the movement blocking feature of the memory foam takes a few seconds to go back to normal and it's like sleeping on a mattress that sags. I hate it. I think that's why they let you try it for a given period. FYI....those guarantees that if you don't like it they'll take it back within 15 or 30 days have some serious strings attached. You get a store credit towards another mattress, you don't get your money back. Also, it's usually "equal or greater value". Everything is of lesser value and you lose some money. Ask all the questions before you buy.

10-x
07-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Just returned a memory foam today and got a firm pillow top. We thought the foam was the answer until my back went out last week. Went to Dr. ,he asked questions ,when he heard memory foam he gave me a statement saying I could not sleep on one. Mattress Firm is great to deal with. Delivery is next Tuesday.

Three-Fifty-Seven
07-11-2013, 10:05 PM
years ...