PDA

View Full Version : How often to apply Bullplate sprue lube?

dubber123
10-04-2007, 07:46 PM
I just got my order of Bullplate lube, and just gave it a trial run. It seems to work well, I definately see you need to keep it well away from the cavities though! Anyways, I was wondering how often it is necessary to re-apply this stuff? It can make mould fillout a pain if it gets in the cavities, so I don't want to over do it. Thanks.

shooter93
10-04-2007, 08:22 PM
The stuff goes a longggggg way. I dip a q-tip in it and leave it lying on the bench but not dripping wet. In the course of casting for a couple hrs I'll wipe the top of the mold, bottom of the sprue plate and alignment pins and holes 3 or 4 times during that time. I don't know if that's to often but better than not enough. When I apply it the surfaces look wet but not running off because like you found out...don't get it in the cavities.

Springfield
10-04-2007, 08:35 PM
I do it about once an hour for moulds that have been coated before. If it is new maybe 3 times an hour for the first few hours. For me this means every 1000 bullets. I must put it on thinner than you guys 'cause I have never had it get into the cavities and cause a problem

dubber123
10-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks guys, this was the first trip around with this stuff. I applied it with fresh bullets in the cavities, but I was impatient and didn't get the mould hot enough to fill the bases out perfectly. As a result, I think there was a little room for the Bullplate to get around the base of the cavities. The result was slightly rounded bases on a few cavities, that eventually went away. I only used what was stuck to the bottom side of the cap, so I don't think I over did it. I'm sure my technique will improve with practice.

NVcurmudgeon
10-04-2007, 11:58 PM
I apply Bullplate by very carefully dipping the cotton end of a Q-tip halfway into the Bullplate. I apply it after the mould is well warmed and producing good boolits, just as Dan said in the instructions. With the other end of the Q-Tip I immediately remove all I can, which leaves just enough. During a three hour casting session I will usually need to reapply once. It is easy to tell that reapplication is needed, when you see the first lead smear on top of the blocks. Reapplying Bullplate will remove the smear within two or three casts.

powderburnerr
10-05-2007, 11:25 AM
I use the Q tip after ,wiping the inside of the cap once with it, for weeks , as long as it will show damp on the mould it is enough.I usually toss the Q tip when all the cotton is hanging and wont wrap on anymore and feel I am wasting the bullplate .it only needs to be used that sparingly to work .just dont tell Bullshop its that good ........Dean

dubber123
10-05-2007, 05:00 PM
It sounds like I should have wiped the mould off with a dry Q-tip after applying. (kinda like the directions said). It just didn't look like I had that much on it. I may get to try it agian this weekend. Thanks.