PDA

View Full Version : Do what the Doctor orders...

Boerrancher
07-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Or Else.

This past Monday, the 8th, the wife and I went to see our family friend and Chiropractor. After a minor adjustment the wife tells him, "I feel so good now I think I will play basket ball tomorrow with all of the home school kids."

The Doc: "I wouldn't do that if I were you. You need to rest that lower back for a few days or you will be right back in here or worse some other Dr's office because you have hurt yourself worse."

Fast forward to yesterday after noon: The wife and kids leave to go into town for the weekly basketball with the home school group at the city hall, and I head to my buddy's to load up and spend the night on the river. As we are getting ready to pull out of the drive way with the boat my cell phone rings. It is my wife telling me to meet her at the ER in the town over. Cellular reception was poor at best so she said there had been a minor injury but not to worry it wasn't bad, just meet her there.

I thought it was one of the kids so I grabbed my gear out of the boat and headed to the ER at the hospital 30 miles away. When I get there I text her that I am in the waiting room. A few seconds later my 9 y/o boy comes out to lead me back. What a surprise when instead of finding one of my kids on the gurney, I find my wife.

As it would happen she didn't listen to our Doc friend when he told her to take it easy and not play basketball. She was playing with the kids and rolled her ankle. I got there just as the ER Doc came back and told here that she had broken both her ankle and her foot. Friday morning we go see the ortho and find out when they are going to put the pins and screws in.

To have avoided all of this and missing out on the rest of the summer all she would have had to of done is follow our friend the Chiroprctor's orders. She is in considerable pain but more mad than anything else. Live and learn I guess.

Well crud. Now I have to learn how to cook.

Best wishes

Joe

10-x
07-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Joe, sure plenty of us will offer up "how to's" to help you cook. Just got back from Dr. for my back too, need another mattress and another gin and tonic........LOL

Springfield
07-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Seems to me her back problem has nothing to do with breaking her ankle, woulda done that anyway. Just bad luck it seems. Still sucks, though. Hope she gets well soon. Had a chiro appt. myself this mornig, nothing unusual, just my regular appt. Messed myself up bad last summer, had to have my SI joint pushed back in place, doing well since then, better than before it went out in fact. Just took it easy since then and no extremely strenuous exercise, just some light weight training and running. I really sucked to be laid up for 2 months, kids started calling me Mr. Slowski.

Hamish
07-10-2013, 06:17 PM
I am pretty for sure and for certain the old man knows plenty well how to do a number of one skillet or one pot meals. :bigsmyl2:

Sucks though, your life just got altered again for 6 to 10 weeks. I will bow my head and put my hand over my heart and help you bid farewell to your outdoor activities for the next couple of months. My condolences.

On the other hand, you will now be the recipients of a whole lotta together time now! [smilie=w:

Hope she heals up real well, and yall dont kills each other my brother!

DLCTEX
07-10-2013, 08:12 PM
I'm praying for a speedy healing. I don't mind cooking, but hate the cleanup. Developed that attitude doing KP. Well, maybe I was born with it, but KP fine tuned it.

Boerrancher
07-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Thanks fellas. She is really down about the whole thing because we had so much planned for this summer to get out and do with the kids. I told her not to worry and that helped a whole bunch let me tell you. (sarcasm intended) She has been the anchor point for this family since I left for Afghanistan back in 04, raising all 5 kids, keeping me from giving up after I was wounded, and pushing me continually with love and encouragement to continue to get stronger and do more. I owe her everything and the extra work around the house will not bother me in the least because I remember the Hell she went through from 04 to 08 when I finally came home for good, but was still broken physically, emotionally, and mentally. I can't do what I could do back in 04, but thanks to her I am stronger and better now by far than I was in 08. It will be a joy to finally be able to start returning some of the care and kindness I received.

Best wishes,

Joe

Mk42gunner
07-10-2013, 11:00 PM

A small amount of onion browned with the hamburger helps just about any type of hamburger helper, as does a can of corn.

Sorry to hear about Mrs. Boerrancher, but just think of all the housekeeping hints you will get this summer...

Robert

DIRT Farmer
07-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Well Joe from what I have seen Army wives are tough, as long as you can keep up. Will say a prayer for the whole family.

BTW, I plan to be on the annual family trip in early August, will try to stop by.

MT Gianni
07-11-2013, 09:21 AM
Joe, I am hoping for a quick recovery until then flip a coin. Heads MRE's tails is pizza.

mroliver77
07-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Joe,
Your a hell of a husband!
I wish we could give you some back of what you gave for us!
I will say a prayer for her, you and the kids.
Jay

1Shirt
07-11-2013, 11:45 AM
As a potter, I lift and carry up to and over (once in awhile) 50lbs of clay, and finished pottery. Of course I have back problems, and my chiropractor (a real babe) tells me if I would quit throwing clay, and lifting and exercise more I would have less back problems. My response is no pain/no gain, and will throw clay as long as I am physically capable of doing so. Besides, I get to have her work me over every three weeks. Yah, I know!-------sexist remark, but at 74 I could care less!
1Shirt!

km101
07-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Joe, there are lots of good recipes in the Cooking Section! I've field tested a few and they are great! You might try there when you need help or ideas.

Hope the surgery and healing go well and that she is back in good shape soon. Remember that Love and Attention help as much as any medicine, as you know from personal experience! She can forget about the bad cooking, but if she gets the Love and attention that she needs, she will always remember that.

shdwlkr
07-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Joe
You are a very lucky man to have a wife that stuck with you when you needed her most. Two of mine didn't and yes that made the trip back harder but also left me feeling that relationships are very hard and if you can't stand the heat get out and find someone else to bother.

It is good you can see the good in this setback as it just might be your turn to repay your lovely wife for sticking with you.

As to the cooking I think you are pulling our legs when you say you can't cook. Never knew someone you had been outside in the military that couldn't cook with what they had.

Give her a big hug from most of us here and know if you need help just ask we all know meals to fix and some you might even like along with your kids even.

later friend and keep the faith some times that is all we are left with in this life.

WILCO
07-11-2013, 06:25 PM

Best wishes

Joe

Hi Joe!

When I became the head chef 13 years ago, I didn't know squat!
Now everyone raves about my meals and I'm fat. Let me know if you need some quick and easy recipes. :)

Best wishes to your wife.