PDA

View Full Version : Browning 1885 HiWall

Denver
10-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Today I bought a NIB unfired Browning HiWall in 30-30 Win. I think it's a Traditional Hunter model, but it doesn't say so on the rifle or on the box label.
It has a 28 inch tapered octagon barrel in matte blue, with buckhorn rear sight, bright blue receiver, gold trigger,fancy walnut checkered wood, straight grip stock with cresent butt, and folding tang sight. She sure is purty, but what do I have?

:Fire::castmine: Denver

Nueces
10-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Yessir, a Traditional Hunter, and one heckuva find at that. Congrats.

Mark

Denver
10-04-2007, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE=Nueces;230088]Yessir, a Traditional Hunter, and one heckuva find at that. Congrats.

Mark[/QUOTE

Thank you. The fellow I bought it from is helping a friend sell these guns that his now deceased brother had. He sold another like it in 22 Hornet and bought one for himself in 38-55. All were unfired, NIB. He still has a Winchester Ltd HiWall in 405 Win that I'm mighty tempted to take also. I'm sure what he's asking is a deal or maybe a steal. Any idea as to what they're selling for?

targetshootr
10-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Nice find. I had one in 45-70 and man it was pretty. The crescent buttplate looked good but wasn't very practical.

August
10-06-2007, 12:53 AM
Yup, a Traditional Hunter alrighty. Haven't been made for many years, however winchester branded models are still appearing. Both were/are made by Miroku in Japan to the highest quality standards.
I have one in 45/70. A friend of mine has one in 38/55 and it is really fun to use in cowboy long range events.
I went to the Cody museum last Summer just to see the first hiwall that John Browning produced -- serial number 1 for patent application purposes. That rifle had the exact, perfect lines of the one you just got. I think the 1885 is the best looking rifle ever produced.
Enjoy your new rifle and don't ever part with it.

NickSS
10-06-2007, 12:51 PM
The Winchester marked ones are selling around here for over $1000

Char-Gar
10-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Yep... You have a Browning Traditional Hunter. These rifles came in 30-30, 38-55 and 45-70. I have one in 30-30 and there doesn't seem to be many of them around.

My rifle gives outstanding accuracy with either jacketed or cast.

Hang on to it! You will regret it later is you pass it on.

Denver
10-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Yep... You have a Browning Traditional Hunter. These rifles came in 30-30, 38-55 and 45-70. I have one in 30-30 and there doesn't seem to be many of them around.

My rifle gives outstanding accuracy with either jacketed or cast.

Hang on to it! You will regret it later is you pass it on.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the different chamberings and thought that the 30-30 was a little more scarce than the others. This is the first I've come across or even seen advertised. I'm working on some CB loads now and it looks like she'll be a shooter. No chance I'm going to let it go any time soon.

Only thing I've run into with it, is that with the tang sight set at the lowest setting, it shoots more that a foot high at 100 yds. Any way to sjhorten the post to get it to shoot closer to POA?

:drinks:

Dale53
10-06-2007, 07:27 PM
How about raising the front sight. Normally, you can get higher sights from Brownell's. Check them out.

Dale53

Char-Gar
10-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Denver... The Browning front sight leave allot to be desired. It is a fairly coarse round bead. It is not condusive to fine shooting. I fitted mine with a Lyman globe front and everything is wonderful.

The Browning rear tang sight uses some funky metric threaded aperture discs, which are costly and don't come in a variety of hole sizes. I drilled out the rear sight and taped it for the standard American size and can use my collection of Lyman and Redfield discs...much better.

I had trouble with the forend coming loose, but a little Loctite cured that problem.

Nothing is perfect.... :-)

Freightman
10-07-2007, 02:15 PM
I have a Winchester in 22LR that shoots as good as a lot of the custom 22LR at the range. Had a fellow say I have been looking for one for years sure would like to buy it. I ask what he was offering he said & $200 well I said you are still looking aren't you.
Great find I will come across one some day to go with my 22. They are classic and priced that way also.

Dale53
10-08-2007, 01:13 AM
I have a Browning "Trigger Fix" article for the modern Browning and Winchester 1885's including the .22 model. If you are interested, write me direct (e-mail) and I'll forward a copy of the article to you. It makes a near perfect, no creep, 2.0-2.5 lb trigger pull. Makes a good rifle GREAT!

Dale53

Denver
10-08-2007, 09:26 AM
I have a Browning "Trigger Fix" article for the modern Browning and Winchester 1885's including the .22 model. If you are interested, write me direct (e-mail) and I'll forward a copy of the article to you. It makes a near perfect, no creep, 2.0-2.5 lb trigger pull. Makes a good rifle GREAT!

Dale53

E Mail sent.

Dale53
10-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Denver;
"Right back at you":mrgreen:

Dale53