PDA

View Full Version : Got beat for the third time...

nekshot
07-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Got this rifle I really wanted to use cast in it for deer season but the first two sessions with cast were so bad if I was a drinking man I would have got drunk. Like a fool I figured I was smarter than this hunk of metal and I went at it again. I refuse to even mention the specifics except the end result was having one of the worst leaded barrels I ever had. It is hot and humid this morning and I got totally soaked in sweat until I got the barrel clean again. This specific 303 brit shoots 150 hornady's into 3/4 inch groubs at 80 yards and as far as I am concerned life is to good and full of other things to do than mess around with cast in this gun. THERE AINT GONNA BE A FOURTH TIME! I am sure no one else experienced this arrogant behavior from a gun.
nekshot (still cooling down)

MtGun44
07-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Not terribly hard. What boolit design, diameter, lube, powder and quantity are you using?

No magic, just some fairly simple technology.

Bill

nekshot
07-10-2013, 02:23 PM
What I learned from the cleaning is the bore is really rough half way down the tube for about a 3 inch area. The leading always happens from there and goes to the crown. It seems as something really corroded that section. Jacketed doesn't mind it at all.

fouronesix
07-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Yep, agreed, life's too short. Why fight with a marginal cast shooter or a chronic 'leader', when it does fine with Jbullets. My experience is similar with most all rough bores when trying to force them to shoot cast. Seems especially true the smaller the bore size along with faster base velocities and accompanying higher pressures. Also, sure sounds like that 303 was exposed to corrosive primed ammo and not properly cleaned in its past- not uncommon.