PDA

View Full Version : Primer Sales at Midway

jim4065
10-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Midway has stopped all primer sales for the time being. The lady said there's been a change in shipping regulations. When I asked if I could pick them up she said "No - there's also been a labeling change." She said that they hope to be able to resume shipping next week.

Don't know how Mid-South, etc are handling this - but Mid-South seems to be out of most rifle and pistol primers anyway.

jim4065
10-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Graf says no problem with shipping. Mid-South the same. Sounds like it's just some Midway craziness - they do this type of thing more than the others.

BD
10-04-2007, 04:33 PM
I'll bet it's a delaying tactic while they raise prices. I just got a circular yesterday with prices around 22.00/thousand. The other guys went up in Sept to around 28.00.
BD

NVcurmudgeon
10-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Yeah, sounds like a Midway ploy. They once told me I could not order ammunition, and on another occasion, empty cartridge cases. I live in Pleasant Valley, Washoe County, Nevada. The post office calls where I live Reno because they use the same zip code. I phoned the Reno PD, Washoe County SO, and checked the state laws on their web site. The officer at the Sheriff's Office laughed, Reno PD said that I couldn't buy tracers or explosive ammunition, and the state laws were silent. This kind of business ethics reminds me of when I owned an Exxon station during the gasoline "crisis" of 1979-80. The shortage was a shortage of fifty cent gasoline, but after a few weeks, it turned out there was plenty of dollar ten gasoline.

Ken O
10-04-2007, 09:02 PM
A couple days ago I bought three cases (15,000) Winchester large pistol primers from http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/ with no problem. Their price went up to $100 per 5000, or $20/k.

PatMarlin
10-05-2007, 12:14 AM
I can get em' in town from my FFL for $22.95 so I'm just buying from him. Supports his business, plus no hazmat. I feel good about that.

MT Chambers
10-05-2007, 12:29 AM
Midway stopped selling/shipping anything to Canada a few years ago because of a fine they got for shipping scopes to Canada due to new export laws in the USA that they were unaware or unclear of. Seems to me that a "normal" company would get their act together and resume shipping and make that "fine" money back.

LiquidLead
10-06-2007, 06:01 AM
Midway hasn't been selling much in the way of primers for some time now.

Mike

klw
10-06-2007, 12:23 PM
I REALLY believe that primers, powder, bullet alloy and brass are things that you should stockpile big time. They are never going to be cheaper and they might well become hard to get.

9.3X62AL
10-06-2007, 12:29 PM
I would submit that a large part of the reason that primers are both expensive and hard to find is BECAUSE people ARE stockpiling them. I'm not saying that the shortfalls are entirely artificial, but there sure are some sellers out there cutting a fat hog on the panic buying. Sellers just LOVE primer scares and OSHA brain farts.

klw
10-06-2007, 12:44 PM
I would submit that a large part of the reason that primers are both expensive and hard to find is BECAUSE people ARE stockpiling them. I'm not saying that the shortfalls are entirely artificial, but there sure are some sellers out there cutting a fat hog on the panic buying. Sellers just LOVE primer scares and OSHA brain farts.

I'm sure that that is true. But after this passes, like the 1992 scare, I would start stockpiling.

Dale53
10-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Well, my take may be different (or not:roll:), I just tallied up what I needed to keep me going for the next couple or three years and sprung for it. If you have the funds, I don't think it is an especially bad place to put it. After they are "at home" components don't eat much:mrgreen:. I do agree with Al, that we are probably at least a good bit responsible for the "run" on components. However, I see them going up in price and don't believe that they are coming down any time soon. Hence, my attitude.

Dale53

klw
10-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Well, my take may be different (or not:roll:), I just tallied up what I needed to keep me going for the next couple or three years and sprung for it. If you have the funds, I don't think it is an especially bad place to put it. After they are "at home" components don't eat much:mrgreen:. I do agree with Al, that we are probably at least a good bit responsible for the "run" on components. However, I see them going up in price and don't believe that they are coming down any time soon. Hence, my attitude.

Dale53

I've got a lifetime supply of primers. Well over 200 pounds of powder. And after increasing my linotype order today, have two tons on hand and two tons on order (80 pounds a month for four plus years).

Ken O
10-06-2007, 09:56 PM
I'd like to put a lifetime of primers away, but I couldn't aford it. I buy two sleeves a year of large pistol primers (a sleeve being 5000) a year when I go to Camp Perry, and I ran out. So I ordered 15,000 from Powder Valley. Then there is small pistol primers which I don't shoot that much of, about a sleeve of large rifle primers for the Garand, Springfield, Palma rifle etc, and a sleeve of small rifle primers for my ARs. The only componet that hasn't gone crazy is powder, its gone up a bit, but not much. The powder when ordered in quantity comes to about $15-16 a pound includeing s&h/hazmat.

LiquidLead
10-07-2007, 02:42 AM
I've got a lifetime supply of primers. Well over 200 pounds of powder. And after increasing my linotype order today, have two tons on hand and two tons on order (80 pounds a month for four plus years).

I have discovered a new problem with reloading.
It is a condition called 'Component Envy'. :(

Mike

jim4065
10-07-2007, 07:38 AM

Alloy of the Month Club? :-D

XBT
10-07-2007, 08:06 AM
The old good news- bad news thing: The good news is I think I have enough components and alloy to last the rest of my life. The bad news is I think I have enough components and alloy to last the rest of my life.

This might confuse some of the younger members here, but you old guys will know what I mean.

targetshootr
10-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Our range turned out to be the best place for supplies. Since they order a lot of clay pigeons they get a good price on powder and primers. WLPs at $18.60 per 1000 and powder at $93 per 8 lb with no tax or hazmat.

klw
10-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Our range turned out to be the best place for supplies. Since they order a lot of clay pigeons they get a good price on powder and primers. WLPs at $18.60 per 1000 and powder at $93 per 8 lb with no tax or hazmat.

It took me several years to buy up the primers I have. Seemed like a high price at the time and a great deal of money. They ranged from $80 to $120 a thousand depending on the size. Today those prices don't seem so bad.

And it is an alloy of the month club. Art Green is 79 I think. Lifting a 40 pound box of linotype is all he can do. So like several of his customers he and I have agreed on a monthly shipment schedule. The post office should allow 70 pounds in one of their flat box rate boxes but his will not. The employees, in their 40's, refuse to lift that much. Besides I really wouldn't want to pay for 4000 pounds all at once.

But the point is that this stuff isn't going to get cheaper so you should buy ahead when you can.

The Dust Collector
10-09-2007, 08:56 PM
I too am a bit disssatisfied with Midway. In this month's flier, there is a Williams WGRS sight for a Marin 336 that is on sale for $30.00. In bold letters the word steel appears. I thought good enough they're finnally making these of steel again! When I called in an order for this sight, as well as for a few other items, I specifically asked about this sight being made of steel. I was told " Yes It Is ". The shippment came today, BUT, NO IT IS NOT!............ aluminum
DUST

Lee
10-10-2007, 12:15 AM
ALL of Midways prices have been sliding into the toilet for some time now. Like the past 7-8 months at least. I guess that's why I still haven't received their "BIG" catalog yet this year --- now a big spender anymore.
Heellllooo Midway! Start putting out some bargain prices again and I'll start purchasing again. As their prices become more the "average" they become less my "go to store" Now I'm shopping around, and there's other companies out there who are whippin' the pants off Midway. Heard it started when they had a change of Leadership not too long ago. Well, they'll learn, hopefully before it's too late for them.............................Lee:wink:

Powderpacker
10-10-2007, 06:45 AM
Midway's sale prices on items I'm interested in are consistently higher than their competitor's regular prices for those items. On the plus side, Midway usually has all of the items I want to order in stock whereas I quite often have to wait for backordered items when I order from their competitors.

Ricochet
10-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Once in a while they have a great sale price on something, but their minimum order makes it less attractive. They sucked me in last year with the birthday discount, and probably will again this year.

PatMarlin
10-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Yeah I was wondering what was up cause few days ago, I ordered a 2 die set, factory crimp, and case length gage, all LEE and it was $45, and that seemed high for lee.. [smilie=1:

mauser1959
10-10-2007, 10:55 AM
I live about the same distance from both Graf and midway , and graf and sons are so much nicer to deal with . If I had my druthers , I would use graf and sons all of the time , but sometimes they do not have exactly what we need. We have someone go down to both places about once a month , and he is completely sold on the customer care of grafs as opposed to midways . Maybe we are not a big enough group, but we spend several thousand dollars at each place per year. However , we had all heard that there would be an increase in prices due to shipping and the cost of metal ... so I can not blame that on midway . One other thing that makes it handy for us is ; graf keeps the powder on hand, and midway drop ships all of thier powder and I believe primers from the manufacture.

Pepe Ray
10-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Dustcollector;
The Williams sights (5D or Fool Proof) have never been made of steel.

"I too am a bit disssatisfied with Midway. In this month's flier, there is a Williams WGRS sight for a Marin 336 that is on sale for $30.00. In bold letters the word steel appears. I thought good enough they're finnally making these of steel again!"

Could you have been thinking of Lyman? I can't imagine Midway advertising them incorrectly. Bummer!!
Pepe Ray

Morgan Astorbilt
10-10-2007, 08:36 PM
I've had 10M Federal LP primers on backorder at Midsouth for several months. I called last week to see how things were going, and was assured, thay when they come in, my $22/M purchase price will be honored, no matter what their new cost it. This used to be normal business practice, but I wonder how many companies still do this.
Paul

The Dust Collector
10-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Pepe Ray, I should not have said "again". I knew the their product was aluminun, but with the large intrest in Cowboy Action Shooting , I assumed that because of that intrest the sight had been upgraded to steel. As I also stated, I did ask specifically at the time of the phone order if it was really steel, and I was told yes. So I ordered it. Yeh...
Bummer!
DUST

Lee
10-11-2007, 12:02 AM
Birthday Sale Prices?? I used to get that. Then I just started getting a Happy B'Day card. Now I don't even get that. If Midway wants to fill their pants, they sure are going about it the right way!!!:mad:...............Lee:wink:

dustinfamily
10-11-2007, 02:27 AM
I noticed cci went up about 6 bucks a 1000, so I took a chance on some Mag-tech small pistol primers.(18.99 per 1000) So far I shot about 500 no problems. Has anyone had any issues with magtech primers?
Thanks Mark