PDA

View Full Version : Quick and dirty drilling a mold for HP

colombo
07-09-2013, 10:44 PM
Tried the search couldn't find this method. If it's been done this way please ignore.

10mm/.40 175 grain lyman by the way.

1. Squared, centered and scribed a line where I wanted the drill to follow.
2. Lightly followed the line with a thin cutoff wheel in the dremel, no more than about 1/64 to maybe 1/32 deep.
3. Placed the mold blocks together in the drill press vice, centered the drill in the very small squaresh hole made by the dremel and made a shallow hole. If I wasn't confident in the setup I would have used a smaller bit.
4. Looked good, let the drill press eat.7571975720

Got a few more holes to drill and a pin base to make along with some pins but the hard part has been beat in my opinion. If everything turns out good I may start cutting on a 30 cal mold next. I was really surprised how easy the drill followed the groves made by the dremel. I know it's got to be a little off but I can't see any sign of it, I'll post the measurements when I get it finished and cast a few.

Artful
07-09-2013, 11:04 PM
I salute your bravery - awaiting further developments and measurements.

colombo
07-09-2013, 11:19 PM
I salute your bravery - awaiting further developments and measurements.

Appreciate the thoughts, my biggest worry is if I'm redoing what's already been done with the dremel cut. I just couldn't bring myself to blind center punch the mold and I don't trust bushings.

colombo
07-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Scribed slotted and drilled. One is a touch off I can see but still on the meplat. Overall very pleased with the results, now I have to make a proper baseplate and an assortment of pins. Anybody ever made a pin out of a torx bit yet?

Any Cal.
07-12-2013, 03:58 AM
I like the idea of creating a pilot for the drill to follow, filing that away for future use.

leftiye
07-13-2013, 05:41 AM
Especially with those truncated cone boolits, a pilot that fits the chamber would probly be more accurate. I like HPing pointed (or RNs if the hole to be drilled is large) molds. Zero on chamber locked in milling vise first and let drill center on cone at point.