PDA

View Full Version : The smell of hot vinegar has filled the house

Trey45
07-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Spent all morning making pickles. Green beans, cucumbers and my first effort at making pickled eggs. The green beans are a new recipe, using white wine and they're good!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1010831_551771058213704_1546415662_n.jpg
So now the house smells of hot vinegar, the kitchen is clean, the dishes are done and I'm counting the days until I can try the eggs.

scottiemom
07-09-2013, 05:52 PM
I'll be happy to volunteer to be your taste tester!

Trey45
07-09-2013, 05:58 PM
I think you've had the spicy dills when I sent ya'll the pickle package! If my garden keeps producing green beans like it is now you just might get some of those in the mail, and I made some more of the yellow squash pickles 2 days ago that you like so much. Look for a LFRB sometime in August ;)

WILCO
07-09-2013, 06:27 PM
wOw!! Simply wOw!!!!!

redriverhunter
07-09-2013, 06:40 PM
after you eat the pickled eggs i promise your house will not smell of vinegar. looks great i still waiting for my crops to come in strong cucumbers are are off to a good start now for the rest to catch up

Trey45
07-09-2013, 06:52 PM
after you eat the pickled eggs i promise your house will not smell of vinegar.

I seriously laughed at this! I may banish myself to the back porch to try them :mrgreen:

William Yanda
07-09-2013, 07:15 PM
You're makin me drool

MtGun44
07-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Sounds good! My Mom always put beet juice in the pickled eggs to make them purple.

Bill

RoyEllis
07-09-2013, 07:39 PM
I seriously laughed at this! I may banish myself to the back porch to try them :mrgreen:

If I sent you some of my famous jalapeno & garlic pickled eggs you'd get banished from even the back porch!:bigsmyl2:

ubetcha
07-09-2013, 07:54 PM
:drinks:OOOOOOOO!!!. Pickled eggs and cold beer. Your making me hungry.:awesome:

LUCKYDAWG13
07-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Sounds good! My Mom always put beet juice in the pickled eggs to make them purple.

Bill
yep same here i love pickled eggs

dragon813gt
07-09-2013, 08:39 PM
My stomach turned just reading the thread title. I can't stand the smell of vinegar. But with my garden producing an average of five large cucumbers a day I might have to try pickling so I have a barter item.

Trey45
07-09-2013, 09:00 PM
I tried to spend as much time as I could outside after the morning pickling session for that very reason, I hate the smell of vinegar, especially hot vinegar.

Sweetpea
07-09-2013, 09:13 PM
I tried to spend as much time as I could outside after the morning pickling session for that very reason, I hate the smell of vinegar, especially hot vinegar.

My grandmother makes a HOT potato salad, all mashed together, and bright orange in color, with a LOT of vinegar...

You'd probably like it a little more than I did...

Brandon

JeffinNZ
07-09-2013, 10:58 PM
I am not a pickle fan. My mother used to make chutneys and pickles and stunk the house out for a week. I hated it.

Glad to see someone preserving thought.

kenyerian
07-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Love pickled eggs.

mroliver77
07-10-2013, 12:50 AM
I love pickled anything! My family name is German and there is a heavy German/Dutch influence in this area. Yep we pickle everything!
We cut up cukes and soak them in vinegar, salt a touch of sugar. Some add onions, peppers and tomatoes. After two days in the fridge they are great!

I use pickled red beets to start my pickled eggs. I have ever canned them. I just store them in the fridge. They never last long.
J

snuffy
07-10-2013, 01:50 AM
I love the smell and taste of vinegar. Or anything pickled. I make what I call a hot veggie mix. Just about anything and everything grown in my garden.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/cannont2ifolder/websize/44%20mold%20019.jpg

Those jars have hot peppers,(jalapeno, Serrano, and hot hungarian), carrots, kohlrabi, green peppers, onions, garlic, celery and dill. I make 40-50 quarts and 12 ½ gallons. Just used my last half G. getting ready to make my first batch for 2013.

Trey45
07-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Snuffy I make something very similar every year. I also make chowchow at the end of every growing season, sort of a catch-all of everything left over from the garden. I think the thing I enjoy the most out of this is being able to sit down for dinner in November/December and still be eating the produce from my garden. Might not seem like a big deal to most, but to me it is. Must have something to do with the whole self sufficiency thing most of us booliteers possess.

Jailer
07-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Did someone say pickled eggs??? :bigsmyl2:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/pickledeggs.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/Jailer/media/posting%20pics/pickledeggs.jpg.html)

snuffy
07-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Did someone say pickled eggs??? :bigsmyl2:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/pickledeggs.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/Jailer/media/posting%20pics/pickledeggs.jpg.html)

Wow! I gotta try some pickled eggs. A guy at work always made some with the beet juice, used too early, the beet/purple was only half way through the whites.

I could see some with a couple jalapenos and seranos to make them with some zing!:twisted:

Cooled off overnight, so I can open the house up to get rid of the heat generated by canning. Off to the store for some veggies and more vinegar.

square butte
07-10-2013, 01:10 PM
It's happening here today - Bread and butters.

Trey45
07-10-2013, 01:13 PM
There's one of my favorites, Bread and Butters!. I have Lime Pickles going today. Takes two days but it's worth it.

captaint
07-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Takes a couple 2 or 3 weeks for the pickled eggs to get right in the beet juice laden vinegar. It's really a long wait. Not easy. Mike

square butte
07-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Here's what I tell my wife " It may just be better to leave this world being known for a good jar of pickles, than for anything else you might do." We both get a good laugh outa that.

RoyEllis
07-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Had a few PM's for a recipe on garlic & jalapeno eggs so here it is....be forewarned, these AIN'T for the young or squeamish- they're spicy & gassy especially with a good summer lager but you just haven't lived til you've tried some!

12 peeled hard-boiled eggs
4 cups vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chopped jalapenos with juice (contents of 12oz can)
1 medium onion peeled & chopped
2 garlic bulbs peeled & chopped
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon pickling spice

Place peeled eggs into sterilized jar. In a saucepan, mix remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Let mixture boil for 5 minutes and pour into jar. Let stand 30 to 45 min to cool slightly then cap jar. Leave standing on the counter overnight and place in refrigerator for 14 days, then enjoy!

Trey45
07-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Awesome! I will be trying this!

Ed Barrett
07-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Beer and pickled eggs, all the necessary food groups.

Jailer
07-10-2013, 11:08 PM
12 peeled hard-boiled eggs
4 cups vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chopped jalapenos with juice (contents of 12oz can)
1 medium onion peeled & chopped
2 garlic bulbs peeled & chopped
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon pickling spice

Mine is real similar except that I cut the vinegar with a little water so the eggs don't end up like little rubber balls.

snuffy
07-11-2013, 03:31 AM
Mine is real similar except that I cut the vinegar with a little water so the eggs don't end up like little rubber balls.

Me too. I will use my standard pickling brine of 3-1 vinegar-water. For a batch, it's 4 cups apple cider vinegar, 12 cups water ½ cup of pickling salt. Maybe for eggs it needs to be stronger? More vinegar???

Well as they say, best laid plans of mice and men, my new mold came today, the the lead pot won out over canning. RCBS #2640680- 501680 .501 375 gr. SWC for the S&W 500. First time with RCBS, probably my last! SOB has a burr in the left half of the mold. PITA getting the boolits to release. Will have to LEEMENT but not a lee mold!!!&+*#

07-11-2013, 06:09 AM
Wifey and me just did a batch of sweet cucumber pickles. We use her grandmothers recipe. I'll post some pics later.

bosterr
07-11-2013, 06:42 AM
Pickled eggs leave large brown burn spots in my underwear!

07-11-2013, 06:12 PM

Superfly
07-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Amatures I do not see the gallon Jars full LOL. You can get 4 eggs short of 4 dozen in a glass Gallon Jar. YUM YUM

Cag40Navy
07-11-2013, 09:05 PM
I love the smell and taste of vinegar. Or anything pickled. I make what I call a hot veggie mix. Just about anything and everything grown in my garden.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/cannont2ifolder/websize/44%20mold%20019.jpg

Those jars have hot peppers,(jalapeno, Serrano, and hot hungarian), carrots, kohlrabi, green peppers, onions, garlic, celery and dill. I make 40-50 quarts and 12 ½ gallons. Just used my last half G. getting ready to make my first batch for 2013.

Oh my... I need t olearn how to can and pickle.... Can I have a jar? My mouth is water so much looking at that!

mroliver77
07-11-2013, 09:16 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Stocking-Up-Edition-Americas-Preserving/dp/0671693956
Very good book will tell you everything you need to know. I have given many as gifts.

Oh my... I need t olearn how to can and pickle.... Can I have a jar? My mouth is water so much looking at that!

snuffy
07-12-2013, 11:10 PM
Start out right, get this kit to handle hot jars;

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Basics-286-5-Piece-Canning/dp/B0002BF1WY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373682824&sr=8-1&keywords=canning+equipment

My canning as in the above jars of hot mixed veggies, is the hot pack/hot water bath method. It relies on sterilization of very hot brine, then the cooling of the jars forms a vacuum seal with the lid and jar.

Start out with sterilized,very clean jars like Kerr or ball. Then you need the sealing lids with the rings. They sell all new jars each with a ring and lid, and separate packages of just the lids or lids and rings. The rings can be re-used, but they're just plated steel, they'll rust after a couple of cycles.

Find a recipe for brine. Mine, as I said above is 12-4, water-vinegar and ½ cup of canning salt in the above ratio. Put your peppers, eggs or whatever in the clean jars. Leave a bit of air space, then add your hot brine. The brine should be brought to a boil before adding it to your jars. BE CAREFUL, THE JARS CAN CRACK IF YOU DON'T HAVE THEM PRE-HEATED I stand them in hot water before I add the hot brine.

Put the lids and the ring on loosely After filling all that you're going to can, stand them in your canner pot---Oh yeah you also need a canning pot;
http://www.amazon.com/Victorio-VKP1055-Stainless-Dual-Use-Canner/dp/B002AHDVYS/ref=sr_1_28?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1373683789&sr=1-28&keywords=canning+equipment
My canning pot is a 75 year old cast aluminum 7 quart pressure cooker.

Fill it to the bottom of the rings with hot water. Bring the water to a boil, watch the jars for the formation of bubbles, that's when I turn off the heat. If you want your veggies to be crunchy, (like I do), then don't boil the canner water beyond seeing a few bubbles inside the jars.

Cut the heat, remove the jars from the hot water, NOW
is when you tighten the rings onto the lid. That traps the heat, the heat has driven off/killed the bacteria and lowered the pressure in the jars. Trapping that forms a vacuum when the jars cool. You should hear a "plink" when the lids seal. Those will keep for at least a year.

That's all that's needed to preserve acid brined foods like peppers and tomatoes. If you were doing meat, then you'd need to pressure cook the jars, it raises the temp inside the jars, and forms a harder vacuum.

Cag40Navy
07-13-2013, 01:20 AM
Sweet! Thank yall. Could I get the Jar recipe to make a medley exactly like that? Thank you, I will jot this down and get the book.

snuffy
07-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Sweet! Thank yall. Could I get the Jar recipe to make a medley exactly like that? Thank you, I will jot this down and get the book.

As far as what goes into those jars, anything that's ripe/mature in the garden at the time I'm canning. I've put green beans, zucchini, slicing pickles, Regular dill sized pickles, green peppers. Kohlrabi is the best yet of things to hot water pack. I used to get a couple heads of cauliflower it is real good. But when I tried kohlrabi, I've never gone back to cauliflower. I grew brussles sprouts one year, figured what the hey lets see how they'd in the hot mix! Great guns they were great! A bumper crop of broccoli had me putting some florets in the jars. I was just okay, still tasted GREEN!

The hot peppers I grow are Serrano both green and let ripen to bright red. Giant jalapeno, hot yellow wax Hungarian. The hot Hungarian is special in that it comes in four color stages. Starts as light green, then turns yellow, quickly goes to orange, then ends up as red. Looks like a sweet banana pepper. The mixture of colors in the jars is quite impressive. Last year I grew some ghost peppers. I canned a couple of jars separate with only 2 of those peppers, no other hot peppers. Good gosh that was HOT! Those basty nastards are evil! no more, thankyou!

Things that I buy to put in those jars is those "baby" carrots. You can get the big ones peeled and cut into ½ inch chunks. Oh, and if my onions aren't big enough yet, I buy yellow onions, (white works too), I cut them into quarters, no dicing or slices. If I can get dill to grow big enough, I use my own. The local piggly-wiggly sometimes has mature dill heads for canners to use. Otherwise I put in dill weed and dill seeds found in the spice aisle.

The brine is apple cider vinegar, (you can use the white variety, the reason for the white vinegar is to NOT stain white stuff like onions, cauliflower), in a ratio if 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water. Salt to taste, but mine is in the above ratio would be 1/8 cup the the 1-3. My mom always made brine in the 4 to 12-½ cup salt batch. She had figured it just enough brine for 7 quarts of pickles. (since the pressure cooker held 7 quart jars inside).

That's about it, just about anything in the garden can be canned/pickled. I even tried busted up corn-on-the-cob once,(it was good!). I cut everything up into separate containers, Then make sure I get some of everything into each jar, usually in layers. It would be real hard to try to mix it all up, I'm afraid some jars wouldn't get enough hot peppers, others would get too much.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/digitalpics/websize/garden%20produce%2002.jpg

The hot Hungarians in the top row, with two surrounding some jalapenos. The rest all came from a garden back in 2002.

Smitty's Retired
07-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Lookin good Snuffy. I can a similar mixture and have always called it pickled medley.

I also make some with just peppers, onions, garlic, green tomatoes or tomatillos. 3-1 mix of vinnegar and water with about 1tsp of sea salt per quart. I place 2 or 3 sprigs of fresh dill in the bottom of each jar to give it a little twang.

snuffy
07-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Lookin good Snuffy. I can a similar mixture and have always called it pickled medley.

I also make some with just peppers, onions, garlic, green tomatoes or tomatillos. 3-1 mix of vinnegar and water with about 1tsp of sea salt per quart. I place 2 or 3 sprigs of fresh dill in the bottom of each jar to give it a little twang.

Smitty, I always wondered how pickled green tomatoes would taste. Always a bunch that don't ripen when frost kills the plants!:mrgreen:

I generally have a green thumb,- BUT this year I can't seem to get dill to grow! It sprouts, grows a little, then dies! Once you get mature dill in the garden, you'll have it forever, grows like weeds!

My favorite from my MEDLEY,(I like that name for my mix), is the onions. I'm going to do just a jar of hot peppers and onions!

swheeler
07-13-2013, 06:47 PM
If it's pickled I like it, okra and aspargass are a couple favorites.

AW738
07-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Just before I started reading this I opened a pint of pickled beets from last year. I ate the hole jar. My wife and mother-in-law are in canning mode. They have canned dill pickles, pickled zucchini, sweet pickles, pickle relish, zucchini relish, strawberry jam, zucchini pineapple strawberry jam (I don't get it), and plane zucchini. We picked beans yesterday so it won't be long before they are canned. Mother-in-law started Chow Chow but it didn't turn out right. We still have assorted jellies and jams, spaghetti sauce and my pickled beets from last year. My wife hates beets. More for me. [smilie=w:

Cag40Navy
07-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Smitty, I always wondered how pickled green tomatoes would taste. Always a bunch that don't ripen when frost kills the plants!:mrgreen:

I generally have a green thumb,- BUT this year I can't seem to get dill to grow! It sprouts, grows a little, then dies! Once you get mature dill in the garden, you'll have it forever, grows like weeds!

My favorite from my MEDLEY,(I like that name for my mix), is the onions. I'm going to do just a jar of hot peppers and onions!

Im glad you like the name! I will have to hear about your Onion and pepper medley. That is right up my alley!

Smitty's Retired
07-14-2013, 01:02 AM

Yep, you need to try some green tomatoes. I've always figured dill, parsely and most other herbs started out as weeds. :razz: Love onions with garlic, and peppers. I'm like you though, just about anything pickled is good.

I've got some pickles that have a few more days setting up before I try them. Got the recipe from my sis-in-law. Their called "Muddy Water Dills" because of the color the liquid turns because of the herbs and spices. Don't know how they are going to be. They are a dill pickle, but one of the spices is allspice seeds, and coriander seeds. Guess I'll find out in about 5 more days.

MaryB
07-14-2013, 02:55 AM
Beer Pickles (I didn't name them, a friend did)

Bring a 50/50 mic cider vinegar and water to a boil, start adding salt while stirring. Stopp adding salt when it will no longer dissolve anymore.
Pack hot sterilized jars with sliced cukes, onion rings, and lots of garlic. Some dill and pickling spice in the bottom of each jar is good too.
Pour the boiling brine into the packed jars and put the lid and ring on and seal tight.
Let them cool on the counter overnight them put them into the fridge for long term keeping. These will not keep well out of the fridge, they are unprocessed.

These are salty crispy good and a cold beer is perfect with them. How a friend named them beer pickles...

6bg6ga
07-14-2013, 06:41 AM

I would like to have this recipe. They look great!

snuffy
07-14-2013, 12:59 PM
As far as what goes into those jars, anything that's ripe/mature in the garden at the time I'm canning. I've put green beans, zucchini, slicing pickles, Regular dill sized pickles, green peppers. Kohlrabi is the best yet of things to hot water pack. I used to get a couple heads of cauliflower it is real good. But when I tried kohlrabi, I've never gone back to cauliflower. I grew brussles sprouts one year, figured what the hey lets see how they'd in the hot mix! Great guns they were great! A bumper crop of broccoli had me putting some florets in the jars. I was just okay, still tasted GREEN!

The hot peppers I grow are Serrano both green and let ripen to bright red. Giant jalapeno, hot yellow wax Hungarian. The hot Hungarian is special in that it comes in four color stages. Starts as light green, then turns yellow, quickly goes to orange, then ends up as red. Looks like a sweet banana pepper. The mixture of colors in the jars is quite impressive. Last year I grew some ghost peppers. I canned a couple of jars separate with only 2 of those peppers, no other hot peppers. Good gosh that was HOT! Those basty nastards are evil! no more, thankyou!

Things that I buy to put in those jars is those "baby" carrots. You can get the big ones peeled and cut into ½ inch chunks. Oh, and if my onions aren't big enough yet, I buy yellow onions, (white works too), I cut them into quarters, no dicing or slices. If I can get dill to grow big enough, I use my own. The local piggly-wiggly sometimes has mature dill heads for canners to use. Otherwise I put in dill weed and dill seeds found in the spice aisle.

The brine is apple cider vinegar, (you can use the white variety, the reason for the white vinegar is to NOT stain white stuff like onions, cauliflower), in a ratio if 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water. Salt to taste, but mine is in the above ratio would be 1/8 cup the the 1-3. My mom always made brine in the 4 to 12-½ cup salt batch. She had figured it just enough brine for 7 quarts of pickles. (since the pressure cooker held 7 quart jars inside).

That's about it, just about anything in the garden can be canned/pickled. I even tried busted up corn-on-the-cob once,(it was good!). I cut everything up into separate containers, Then make sure I get some of everything into each jar, usually in layers. It would be real hard to try to mix it all up, I'm afraid some jars wouldn't get enough hot peppers, others would get too much.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/digitalpics/websize/garden%20produce%2002.jpg

The hot Hungarians in the top row, with two surrounding some jalapenos. The rest all came from a garden back in 2002.

6bg6ga, that's post #39, it's pretty much "the recipe" for what you see in those jars. I can tell you things I have NOT tried to put in a jar of hot medley, it would be a very short list!

Trey45
07-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Snuffy I just reread your recipe and I'm gearing up to can tomorrow or the next day, your recipe is one I will be using. On a side note I opened the jar of pickled eggs today. Little rubber balls I believe is the term used somewhere in this thread. Good taste but the egg white was rubber. I will cut the vinegar next time.