PDA

View Full Version : We did it

Bad Water Bill
07-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Today Illinois joined the other 49 states to allow CCW

WE WON OVER THE CHICAGO MACHINE.:drinks:

gspgundog
07-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Well Bill time for a new signature.....LOL. Of course if you consider all the other BS the democrats pull it may still work.

w0fms
07-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Well sort of. I guess.. So you have "shall issue CCW".. the worst... but you have it.. so many restrictions there...

If my Iowa permit would be good in the state -- right next door-- that I was born in, I'd say yes. I'll say congrats anyway.

OTOH, your Illinois CCW will be good here. Also if it didn't cost 30 years worth of Iowa permit for me to get your out of state for 5, I'd agree. Probably will get an Illinois anyway since both sides of the family still have family there and I have to drive through it a lot, but $300 for an out of state permit.. sigh.. they won.. you don't realize it.

Now where again can I sign up for the required training to get it? I'm a NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, so I assume that isn't good enough for Illinois? Right? Even though it's more than 16 hours of training. But then again becoming an "Illinois instructor" in Iowa could be a good side gig. I wonder when I can train to be an instructor for that? Probably when water freezes in hadea?

It's better than nothing and I'm happy for you there but watch out for the "followup bills" that are coming to push every line item Quinn wants. Keep fighting.

I'm ashamed to come from Illinois and .. yes.. Cook County.... but I was never "with them" .. I've always been against. I grew up with at corruption and couldn't wait to get away from it. Still celebrate for me. It was a hard fight.

Bad Water Bill
07-09-2013, 03:51 PM
It took more than one day from the time I took my first step till I hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

It will take more time till we get ALL of our 2A rights back.

See you in Springfield next March.

Now I need a new signature and help getting it changed.:bigsmyl2:

357maximum
07-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Click on forum actions at the top middle of the page, click on EDIT PROFILE, choose change signature from the left side of the new page.......the rest is up to you and your imagination.

CONGRATS......never thought I would see the day.....glad it has come for you all that live there.

Gliden07
07-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Congratulations!!! Now if some of you guys could temporarily move to Mass to help squelch my foolish states proposed BS (almost a rubber stamp of New York States new laws!!)!! At least our governor didn't back door it like Cuomo, problem is this state is so BLUE!!! If they put Ted Kennedy on the ballot they would vote him back in. All the Representation here are Obama wannabe's!!

Swamp Man
07-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Congrats Bad Water.

Firebricker
07-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Congrats ! Now the only thing is the system will be flooded with applications for a while. I was still in Tennessee when the CCW passed they were overwhelmed with apps for a while. At least now your not waiting in limbo wondering if you'll ever get one. Now there is just two to go !

theperfessor
07-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Good on you guys! But I'll still stay in Indiana with my lifetime permit.

Don Purcell
07-09-2013, 05:34 PM
High Five Bill, We got it! Not the best but at least we have OUR camels nose under the tent for a change. Suck on that Rahm and Quinn! Everyone here knows it's not everything we wanted but please let us Illinoisians have a day in the sun before you start pissing on our parade and tell us we got screwed, OK?

badboyparamedic
07-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Congrat Guys

Bad Water Bill
07-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Show me ONE state that had to fight for CCW that got everything on the first go round?

Down South
07-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Congrats Bill. I hope more good things to come to you guys..

Hickory
07-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Your signature should read "Carry 50"

LUCKYDAWG13
07-09-2013, 06:12 PM
[smilie=w:[smilie=w:[smilie=w:[smilie=w:[smilie=w:[smilie=w:[smilie=w:

Bad Water Bill
07-09-2013, 06:35 PM
357maximum

Thanks for the help.

To excited yet to get a better one. Perhaps next week when the excitement wears off.

freebullet
07-09-2013, 06:46 PM
Congrats guys. Ours wasn't perfect, but after 20+ years of trying I was glad they passed it. They did go back in the following years to clarify some points to prevent our cities from skirting the law. I'm hopeful yours will only get better with time.

Bad Water Bill
07-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Vermont and Alaska did not have to fight for it. Now they might have to fight to keep their rights.

DCM
07-09-2013, 07:11 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
A definite step in the right direction.

MtGun44
07-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Bill, Don't let the knuckleheads get you down. Essentially all of the first cut bills
for CCW have been improved, usually VERY quickly, when the discover that things
are just not reasonable and workable. Usually the hyper-antigun folks drop off the
radar and the folks that have to write the regulations and enforce them are frequently
much, much more sensible and know that the rules have to be workable.

A great, and recent example of this is Ohio, which had really serious problems in
rationality and workability with their first cut at the laws. These were dramatically
improved in short order, and Ohio may not be the finest example of a CCW law, but
it is pretty good and FAR better than it started out with.

Congratulations, I really thought that Illinois would nver get it, and I missed the
idea of a court requiring CCW. Great job overriding the governor, too.

Next up should be Hawaii. While it "technically" has CCW, it is a matter of policy that
they NEVER issue any, under any circumstances. Frankly, this is no different in
practice than Illinois was. If I were a Hawaiian antigunner, I'd be sweating.

Bill

Bad Water Bill
07-09-2013, 08:44 PM
One of our BIG wins is that we are a Shall issue state and Hawaii is a may issue. You now need proof in Illinois that you should not be issued a license. Even then there will be a 7 person panel you can appeal to. A may issue means money UNDER THE TABLE if you want a license.

No ours is not perfect BUT we did beat the machine. [smilie=w::bigsmyl2:[smilie=w:

Sweetpea
07-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Been watching this play out...

Congratulations, job well done, after much hard work.

Now go exercise your RIGHTS!!!

Brandon

357maximum
07-09-2013, 09:09 PM
357maximum

Thanks for the help.

To excited yet to get a better one. Perhaps next week when the excitement wears off.

You are most welcome, glad I can still help round here occassionally. and congrats 1 more time

perotter
07-09-2013, 09:13 PM
One of our BIG wins is that we are a Shall issue state and Hawaii is a may issue. You now need proof in Illinois that you should not be issued a license. Even then there will be a 7 person panel you can appeal to. A may issue means money UNDER THE TABLE if you want a license.

No ours is not perfect BUT we did beat the machine. [smilie=w::bigsmyl2:[smilie=w:

You got a better law than I thought you would after I read the court order last December. I expected that there would be so many hoops to jump thru that one would die of old age before the permit was issued.

Thank you for the work, time, etc you put into it this. It is a win for everyone in America.

Bad Water Bill
07-09-2013, 09:32 PM
I had very little to do with it.

The reason we have what we have is because the NRA provided us with a young man by the name of Todd Vandermide. Todd and several more have worked countless hours and traveled more miles than I can imagine to get us here. Now Todd has left the political ring to work with the I S P to come up with REASONABLE stuff for instructors and licensees.

Yes I WILL sleep good tonight.

starmac
07-10-2013, 01:51 AM
LOL Bill you probably get colder there than here, I know I did.

Bzcraig
07-10-2013, 01:55 AM
Bill, how you and Girty gonna celebrate?

Bad Water Bill
07-10-2013, 06:12 AM
Well sort of. I guess.. So you have "shall issue CCW".. the worst... but you have it..

I think you better learn the difference between SHALL ISSUE (The state Police have the Issue power and there is a panel you can appeal to to over ride the S P decision) and MAY ISSUE (WHERE YOUR LOCAL POLICE CAN SAY NO and you have no option but to pay under the counter)

School on vacation now. :bigsmyl2:

Down South
07-10-2013, 06:13 AM
Morning Bill, you are up early I see.

Bad Water Bill
07-10-2013, 06:33 AM
Being an OLD man has its advantages. I can take a nap at any time.:bigsmyl2:

Now I will try to keep the KIDDIES out of trouble.

So many folks complaining or trying to read things that are not there or have not been clarified yet.

Since IANAL I have to go back to the folks that actually wrote the law to find the answers. My head is starting to hurt AGAIN.:evil:

w5pv
07-10-2013, 08:29 AM
I beieve that that the murder rate will go down after afew months when the murders,robbers and rapist find out they can be shot also.

missionary5155
07-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Good morning
Congradulations to everyone who wrote letters, Emails, phone calls, walked the Springfield streets, gave donations and stayed till the end was met ! I am 5500 miles away and can hear the jubilant voices chorusing through the air ! It may not be the end but for sure is the end of the beginning.
Mike in Peru

41 mag fan
07-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Lets hope it's the beginning of the end of the ****kago thieves that run the state.
Still thumb my nose and finger up at their laws when I'm there....but thats just me

nicholst55
07-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Next up should be MARYLAND. While it "technically" has CCW, it is a matter of policy that
they NEVER issue any, under any circumstances. Frankly, this is no different in
practice than Illinois was. If I were a Maryland antigunner, I'd be sweating.

Bill

Fixed it for you. While technically, it is possible to be issued a CCW in Maryland, it almost never happens. When it does, you can only carry from your home to your business and back, with a stop off at the bank. If you stop at a conveneince store for a gallon of milk enroute, you cannot legally carry into the store and back out again. Defense of your life is not a valid reason to carry in that state. Worse still, the federal circuit court just upheld Maryland's law.

Blacksmith
07-10-2013, 02:04 PM
"Worse still, the federal circuit court just upheld Maryland's law."

Maryland gun owners are waiting for a Writ of Certiorari, agreement by the Supreme Court to hear the case. In the Wollard case the original judge found Maryland's requirement to provide a "Good and Substantial reason" to obtain a CCW was unconstitutional. By the way in Maryland a desire to protect yourself and family is not considered a "reasonable precaution against apprehended danger" so is not a G&S to get a permit. And Maryland does not recognize other states permits.

Now if you are politically "connected" and on the in with the Democratic machine in Maryland you can get a permit even an "expedited" permit it only depends on who you know.

We also have new restrictive gun laws and gun bans going into effect Oct. 1st. which has overloaded the existing anti gun system of State Police review and approval. I am on day 50 of the mandatory 7 day wait for approval (I expect it to take 90+) to get possession of the used Contender frame, single shot handgun with no barrel, that I already bought and paid for from another individual in the state.

Bill we could sure use your help!

MtGun44
07-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Sorry for you Marylanders status. The only good news I can point to is that NOW
we have a progun 2nd Amendment ruling that is slowly being pushed down to force
the states to stop infringing. Never quick, never easy, but the good news is that the
direction we are heading is a good one, not the bad direction that we have had for
the last 54 years since the 1968 travesty was passed.

BWB - Like you report happened in Illinois when you were getting close -
the NRA also funded a VERY talented young lobbyist for KS when we finally got
close enough to winning that he could help us get over the top. I worked with him for
two years and he was a big help to those of us that were struggling to be lobbying the
Legislature and hold down a job. I do have some issues with some of how the NRA does
business at times, but I can absolutely verify that they often do a LOT of good in these
political fights, and frequently it is behind the scenes where nobody publically really
knows what is going on.

Warn your insiders on the progun side to watch closely for signs of people "on your side"
that might suddenly see an opportunity to 'feather their nest' by "helping" some regulations
make them some money. We had this happen with one guy, and it got pretty ugly at
times.

Bill

mjwcaster
07-12-2013, 02:23 PM
While I have plenty of issues with this carry bill, I wish people could get informed and stop being so negative about it (not just on this forum, but everywhere).
We will be able to carry in more than just our houses (what I hear most often, do people not even read the bill before complaining?)

We have-
SHALL issue, Huge.
Statewide preemption. Huge.

Chicago police have already issued a directive, no more enforcing Chicago Firearms permit or Chicago gun registration.
People that have called about renewing their Chicago Firearms permit are being told it doesn't exist anymore.
Chicagoan's now have the same rights as the rest of the state.

We have too many prohibited places, but at least they are the same every where in the entire state, and no worse than most states started out and better than many.

No more assault weapons ban after another week. Then all the good people need to do is get rid of their towns ban just once and it can never come back.

Mike Madigan doing a 180 and pushing a gun rights bill (I don't care what his reasons were) was just beautiful.
Yes he sank us at first, but we will just have to fix things in the future.

For those of us that live outside of chicago we can carry most places in our daily lives.

For me the three biggies are libraries, parks and school grounds.
For the safety of the children I can't protect my daughter when I pick her up at school, take her to a park or the library.

Outside of stopping by the post office or paying my water bill at the municipal center I can carry anywhere the business owners will let me. And if a business owner won't let me carry then I just don't patronize their business.
Well whenever we can get a permit at least.

Pretty good start in my book.

I want a better law, but I never thought we'd get this far.

Thanks George for all your hard work.

Matt

Bad Water Bill
07-12-2013, 03:04 PM
The fighting is still going on.

Every Illinois resident MUST attend your own town council meeting in the next month.

I made the mistake of missing MY towns meeting and helping defeat a AWB that was on the agenda in a near by village. There were 20 of us there and we won.

Unfortunately my own village and a neighboring one both passed the Bloomberg bill.

No one was aware that either village was even considering joining MAIG or proposing such a law.

Now we have to find out if this law is even legal since neither community is a HOMERULE one (the meeting I attended was homerule so we attended).

It caught MOLLY B by surprise as well.