PDA

View Full Version : Lost my Starrett 0-1" Micrometer

Down South
07-08-2013, 07:44 PM
I lost my Starrett 0-1 mic. I looked everywhere. Problem is, I could have left it at any one of three places where my reloading and casting equipment is spread out. I looked for it for a month or more. After deciding it would turn up some day but I need a mic now, I ordered a used one off Flebay. I was impressed. I got a EDP 50944 for a buy it now price of $30 plus $5 shipping. It came in a couple days ago and I was surprised that it was in great shape. The anvils were mirror clean. No rust anywhere.
I figure, probably hot. For a $200 mic in that good of shape, hmmmmmmm.
anyway, I had to stop by my shop on my way back to Houston yesterday. Guess what I see on the shelf just above my bench. I know I have looked there at least a half dozen times but there it is, my 0-1 mic that I have been searching dearly for.
I really liked my old mic. It is a Starrett No 216 with the scale in the side for old eyes easy reading.
Well, I have a spare that I can leave at one of the other locations now.

jmort
07-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Sam just sent you a PM, but as to your thread, you can get sweet deals on 0-1" micrometers on Ebay. I got a really nice Mitutoyo for $10.00 w/free shipping. May not be as good as your $200.00 unit, but it cost north of $100.00 new and is in real nice shape. For the $$$, a back-up won't hurt. As they say in the survival world, two is one, and one is none.

texassako
07-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Quickest way to find something is to buy a replacement.

Baron von Trollwhack
07-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Quickest way to find something is to buy a replacement.

I wish I could buy a replacement for obama.

BvT

dkf
07-08-2013, 10:40 PM

BvT

Next time you go to the store buy a head of cabbage. Close enough....

Catshooter
07-08-2013, 11:58 PM
Watching my mother spend hours looking for things taught me to put my stuff away and keep things neat. I hate wasting time like that.

Cat

gew98
07-09-2013, 09:51 AM
I found all my mic's in flea market vendor situations when I was a kid...you could by a box of old machinist "stuff" back in the late 70's and early 80's for next to nothing..literally !.
Though I did get two nice dial calipers from a buddy at work one time. A 6" and an 8" set of mititoyu's .... they are beautiful and have served me 20 years. My buddy used to go around the plant and do all the zeroing on mics , gauges and tools. He wound up with all kinds of extras as shops were reorganized and or deleted.
I've got some old Brown & Sharpe Mic's my wife's grandpop gave me.... he became a machinist then millwright after he got home from WW2. It pays to be good to good people.

Hardcast416taylor
07-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Must have been that ghost that has the name "Wasn`t Me" that finally returned the borrowed tool.Robert

bob208
07-09-2013, 06:46 PM
i still have my 0-1 i bought in 69.

now as to your story. reminds me of the time i went to change the oil in my truck. pulled it in front of the shop. drained the oil. went for the oil filter wrench. could not find it any where. so now the truck has no oil and a dirity filter. can't move it. it is blocking the shop can't get the bike or car out. so i walk up town and bought a new wrench used it. got done then walked over and hung it on the nail with the one i could not find.

williamwaco
07-09-2013, 06:58 PM

BvT

I will pay half!

Beagle333
07-09-2013, 07:14 PM
I picked up a really nice 0-1" Starrett 436, with box and instructions, for 11 bucks + 4 ship on Fleabay last week. I was surprised I won it. Before I started looking for a Starrett mic, I certainly didn't realize just how many there are for sale on there.

PAI-Scott
07-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Ditto, I picked up a Starret on the bay a couple of years ago for ~ $15 with the shipping. Came with the case and a nice note from a retired machinist stating he hoped I get another 40 years of service from it. I thought that was pretty cool.

Down South
07-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Mine came in the box W/wrench. The frame is SS. I guess that I was surprised to get a quality tool in great shape for that price.
It's a shame that when I was a millwright back in the day, I had to pay full retail for most of my precision tools. The money I had to spend back then for tools ment a lot more to me than it does now. Most of my paycheck each week back then was allocated for something.

DLCTEX
07-10-2013, 08:18 PM
I bought 3 Mics at an estate auction once for $5. There are two 0-1 and one the same size that is metric. I have not worn out the metric one at all.