PDA

View Full Version : ww horror story

targetshootr
10-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Today I picked up a gun at an out of town dealer and on the way back stopped at a few tire shops looking for ww. At one busy place, the owner said a buddy of his asked him to start saving his ww because he'd been throwing them away. Most places already have someone who gets their ww so that was a first for me.

redgum
10-03-2007, 08:37 PM
I picked up a 5 gallon drum of ww this morning from a tyre place in town, and dropped off a six pack of beer for the bosss & another empty drum for them to fill. With lead prices @ $600 per ton they are getting harder to aquire so I think myself lucky to be on what I consider to be a very good deal..... I am finding a few of the zinc ones starting to turn up these days though and some steel ones even

targetshootr
10-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Where are you located redgum? I detect an accent. I came back with half a bucket and felt guilty because I already have more than I'll ever use. Packrat syndrome I guess.

hydraulic
10-03-2007, 10:59 PM
I've never paid for WW's, but last Sat. I happened into a little shop in rural Nebraska that repairs stained glass windows. I asked about his scrap lead and he gave me about 20 lbs. of absolutely the softest lead I've ever seen. Thinking I ought to give him something, I called the local scrapyard and asked what they were paying for lead. 5 cents a pound!!!!! I didn't ask what their selling price was, since I'm not buying anyway.

Ohio Rusty
10-04-2007, 12:37 AM
The guy at the truck/tire store saves them for me, I get about a handfull or so a week of both soft stick ons and the fat truck weights. Today I dropped him off a pre-paid card to Pizza hut for a free pizza. That should help my collecting of WW's from him. I don't have lots of WW's like the rest of you, but I'm grateful for what I can get and they start adding up in the bucket.
Ohio Rusty

EMC45
10-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Checked Walmart the other day and the mech there told me that the battery co. gets all their WWs. Drat! I still have my supply, but a local has been snaking my WWs. So it is a game of who gets there first. Also my buddy had my local beekeeper drop an empty bucket at the tire shop and in 3 days it was full. (5 gal.) Nice. The tire guys said bring it back empty and we'll fill it again! Real nice!

FISH4BUGS
10-04-2007, 07:41 AM
I get about a 5 gallon bucket a month (12 per year or so) from a total of three different places. One place I trade a case of beer per 2 buckets, the other 2 places I just get them for free. I can't stop.........I just keep piling them up in the basement waiting for smelting.
I now have over 2000 lbs of ww's and 500 lbs of ingots. I think I have enough but I just can't stop! This fall I am going to go on a smelting binge and try to get them all done.
Those submachinguns DO eat a lot of lead but I am seemingly staying ahead of it. I typically shoot a thousand rounds of each caliber (9mm, 45 and 380) when I go out, depending on which subgun I take, but I haven't had much time lately.
The lead operation is at my girfriend's house in rural New Hampshire. I hope SHE never has to move.

jack19512
10-04-2007, 11:01 PM
I have four tire shops that give me their wheel weights. Not a lot at one time but they sure add up. I haven't been casting long and so far I have one five gallon bucket of ingots and eight five gallon buckets of weights. I am lucky(or maybe not)depending on how you want to look at it as I don't shoot nearly as much as most of you so I already have enough lead to do me a very long time. But I have no plans to stop collecting lead as long as it is free. :-D

JeffinNZ
10-04-2007, 11:44 PM
Hey Redgum! You an alchemist too! I also turn lead into gold. Liquid gold that is!! :-D

blysmelter
10-05-2007, 04:14 AM
Lucky guys! No WW to score over here, just zinck and steel. Even found plastic ones!

But a friend gave me 30pounds of babbit yesterday:-)

jawjaboy
10-05-2007, 07:10 AM
So it is a game of who gets there first.

I tend to think it's more of a "who treats me the best" game. If somebody was bringing me soda/beer/pizza/doughnuts/?.....I would tend to favor them. It's worked for me. Had a phone message yesterday, "Hey ***, we got you 2 more buckets." :wink:

I sent you a PM.

redgum
10-06-2007, 06:08 PM
Where are you located redgum? I detect an accent. I came back with half a bucket and felt guilty because I already have more than I'll ever use. Packrat syndrome I guess.

G'day targetshootr & JeffinNZ,
I'm in rural Victoria, Australia,
Just got back from a Pistol shoot in Mt. Gambier, Sth Aust. There's an ol retired fella there who casts most calibres for the local club members, & charges bugger all, mainly just to keep everyone shooting. He sells .38 158g RN for $24/500. He had been paying $1 per kg. off the tyre shop, which enabled him to make a little profit for his time. He says they are wanting nearly double now and it makes it too expensive. He's too much of a gentleman to pass the extra expense onto his fellow shooters