PDA

View Full Version : Melting without a heater

mrblue
07-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Im setting up a Lyman 450 and woudl like to use White lables Carbuneana red. Now Ive been told its a bit hard without a heater to help it along. I cant fund a heater at the moment and am looking for suggestions. I've heard using a heat bulb next to the press will work. Ive also thought about melting the lube, let it cool enough to solidify and then put in in the go to town. Any help or suggesitons?

btroj
07-07-2013, 10:35 PM
If it hardens fully the it won't flow too well again, will it?

A heat lamp will work fine.

Shedhunter
07-07-2013, 11:16 PM
I have been using a desk lamp. I turn it on a little while before sizing and it works good.

MaryB
07-08-2013, 01:07 AM
blow dryer?

SciFiJim
07-08-2013, 01:36 AM
A cheap iron from the thrift store would work. Set it on it's lowest setting and rest it on the backside of the lubersizer. I have a Lyman 4500 with the heater. I wish it had a heat control for it. It only has two settings (plugged in or not plugged in).

Don't know why I didn't think to hook it up to a rheostat before now, but having just thought of it, I will see what I can build.

snuffy
07-08-2013, 01:48 AM
A cheap iron from the thrift store would work. Set it on it's lowest setting and rest it on the backside of the lubersizer. I have a Lyman 4500 with the heater. I wish it had a heat control for it. It only has two settings (plugged in or not plugged in).

Don't know why I didn't think to hook it up to a rheostat before now, but having just thought of it, I will see what I can build.

That's simply a room light dimmer. Put the dimmer in the hot lead/wire from the wall receptacle plug. I find that half throttle/half way between full and off is plenty for Lars C-red lube.

SciFiJim
07-08-2013, 01:53 AM

That's simply a room light dimmer. Put the dimmer in the hot lead/wire from the wall receptacle plug. I find that half throttle/half way between full and off is plenty for Lars C-red lube.

Thanks. Next time I stop buy Lowe's I will pick up what I need.

btroj
07-08-2013, 07:55 AM
Mine looks very similar. Works well.

gray wolf
07-08-2013, 10:26 AM
A cheap iron from the thrift store would work. Set it on it's lowest setting. This is a very simple project, get a $2.00 Iron from the good will or a thrift store a a cheepy from Wall wort. Mount the sizer on a small piece of Aluminum plate.
It is fully adjustable for heat control, simple, functional and you can move the iron out of the way when it's not being used.
Even simpler is to back off the pressure screw and gently heat the unit with a small propane torch--if you are capable, don't do it if you have three thumbs.