PDA

View Full Version : Wooden rocking chair. Do you have one around the house?

WILCO
07-07-2013, 07:35 PM
I'm thinking about getting one. Seen a wooden rocking chair in a movie and it reminded me of one from my childhood.

wch
07-07-2013, 07:47 PM
I've used a wooden rocker for the last 40 years, wouldn't be without one.

Love Life
07-07-2013, 07:58 PM
I have 3 on the front porch. Makes a lazy day on the porch drinking sweet tea that much more enjoyable.

The only thing that would make it better would be ceiling fans on the porch. Why does Nevada hate ceiling fans and sweet tea?

Goatwhiskers
07-07-2013, 08:10 PM
We have two, both over 100 yrs old. One has a rawhide seat that I had replaced about 10 yrs ago. The other is solid seat, and has flat spots on the rockers where the wife's grampaw used to drag the thing out onto the porch in the morning and back into the house at night. I'm gonna reglue the joints in that one, maybe it'll last another 100. GW

mold maker
07-07-2013, 08:12 PM
When I was growing up, every Mama and Granny had a rocker. When they entered the room, you had better get out of that chair. I have one in the loading room, and on the screened in porch.

Rick Hodges
07-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Yes I have one....got it 35yrs. ago on the advice of a Dr. to ease lower back pain.......it works.

shooter2
07-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Yes! Made by Stickley.

Sweetpea
07-07-2013, 08:50 PM
I've got one that's dang near ancient, got it from my grandparents when they sold their cottage in Canada...

To be honest, I don't sit in it much, I worry about breaking it!

Nice to know my kids were rocked in it, though, just like me, my mom, and I'm pretty sure one of her folks, too!

Brandon

opos
07-07-2013, 08:53 PM
We have one but I can't use it....it's an antique child's hickory rocker...it was mine as a child and then it was "around" the whole time our kids were small and then their kids all took their turns in it from one time to another..hand made in the 30's..my oldest Son asked us to come by one afternoon and see what he'd found...our Great Grandson (about 2 at that time) was sitting in the family room....in my old rocker....I had no idea it was still around .... like so many things from our childhoods and they had kept it tucked away for just the right moment...it's just the way I recall...knarled round hickory with a woven seat bottom...and it's like new...have no idea how it's lasted 4 long generations..it's probably close to 80 years old because I'm 76 very soon. I asked my wife to get me a rocker for my birthday in October so I could also enjoy the rocking...and I bet I get one.

runfiverun
07-07-2013, 08:58 PM
have one right next to me, it has dowels pegging it together..
rocking chairs are recommended for new mothers because it gently
re-strengthens the stomach muscles.

RoyEllis
07-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Have 35 different rockers in various stages of assembly in my shop, oak, hickory, walnut and cherry....sort of a mildly profitable hobby to support my unprofitable hobby lol.:bigsmyl2:

Alstep
07-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Wouldn't have a chair that didn't rock. Just relaxing and mind soothing to rock away in one. Cracker Barrel restaurants sells really nice ones, made in KY or TN I believe. Real solid wood, no plastic garbage, and best of all, made in the good old USA!

edler7
07-07-2013, 11:00 PM
I have one made in the 30's. Mission style with a leather seat. I bought it the first week of my retirement but hardly ever sit in it...too busy.

DeanWinchester
07-07-2013, 11:13 PM
I don't need your rocking chair.

koehn,jim
07-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Got two of them one was my Grandmothers and the other I bought to have one to use.

kbstenberg
07-07-2013, 11:23 PM
15 comments and no pictures

DIRT Farmer
07-08-2013, 12:25 AM
Bought one for my wife when our first child was born.

clong
07-08-2013, 01:05 AM
I have one...my mother used to rock me in it. Then I rocked my kids in it.

Mk42gunner
07-08-2013, 01:14 AM
I have a Boston rocker in the barn that my Grandpa bought Grandma when my Dad was born. I need to repair it most of the rungs in the back have been broken over the years. I am seriously thinking about drilling though the bottom into the back pieces and guling in smaller dowels.

The only problem with it is that it is not built for someone my size to use regularly.

I also have a heavily built cedar rocker that I got for my Mom, I traded a 365 Husqvarna chainsaw for it. When Mom got new recliners for her tiny living room, I got the rocker back. She is on about the third set of modern recliners since she gave it to me.

Robert

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-08-2013, 07:34 AM
Have 35 different rockers in various stages of assembly in my shop, oak, hickory, walnut and cherry....sort of a mildly profitable hobby to support my unprofitable hobby lol.:bigsmyl2:
I wished you lived close by.
I inherited a Large, heavy duty oak rocker from my Parents, that originally came from great-grandparents.

Back in the 70's, my folks recovered it with some Naugahyde and apostery thumbtacks...not a good job at all. it's just been stored in a corner since '90
Jon

Sasquatch-1
07-08-2013, 07:58 AM
I have a Drake-Smith rocker (I should say that my wife has it) that I purchased for my wife the first Christmas we were married 39 years ago.

RickinTN
07-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Wouldn't have a chair that didn't rock. Just relaxing and mind soothing to rock away in one. Cracker Barrel restaurants sells really nice ones, made in KY or TN I believe. Real solid wood, no plastic garbage, and best of all, made in the good old USA!

Assembled by Hinkle Chair company just south of Springfield, TN. Sadly from imported parts now. As I understand it is more profitable to export the timber to be turned for the chairs and re-import it after turning. They are still an excellent chair, and as far as I know Cracker Barrel restaurants will ship them. They are available in cane-bottom and slat bottom. My Grandmother, who passed 10 years ago this year at just over 100 years old, grew up in sight of the chair company. Her father, my great grandfather, was the preacher at the church just "down the hill" from the chair company. I don't have one, but will someday.
Take care,
Rick

375supermag
07-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Hi...

We have a cherry rocker sitting in the master bedroom.
Mostly serves as a clothes rack for clothes and blankets...nobody ever sits in it.

Jim
07-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Janet's parents come from Pennsylvania. They bought this rocker and stool from an Amish furniture maker back in the 70s.

Of course, when I set it up for lighting and background, Mr. Bill and George just had to get in on the act.

pmeisel
07-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Two on the deck. Time to paint them.

blackthorn
07-08-2013, 10:47 AM
I passed on my Grandmother's rocker to my oldest son. It is made of Oak and about 40+ years ago I got it from my Mother when they sold the farm and moved into town. It had been used hard and some of the spindles were gone or broken as was the bottom piece that the lower end of the spindles in the back plugged into. I rebuilt the broken parts and refinished the rest. Now I have a Glider rocker beside the 4x8 foot gun-book case in the bedroom. Most of the time ownership of that chair is vigorously contested by the cat!

Wayne Smith
07-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Our daughter-in-law is now using my wife's great-grandmother's rocker. Really need to get another.

starbits
07-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Back about 1990 my wife wanted a rocking chair and I had seen a very beautiful one made by Sam Maloof. Found a phone number and called and talked to his wife. It was a 2 year wait and the price was $8000. That was more than the value of both my cars combined. Needless to say the rocker we got wasn't by Sam Maloof. Too bad though one of his rockers sold at auction last year for $80,500 or about 43 tons of lead at today's prices.

Maloof Rocking Chair (http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19978/lot/2454/)

Starbits

Hardcast416taylor
07-08-2013, 01:33 PM
I`ve got and still use the rocker that my Dad had back in the 1920`s.Robert

KCSO
07-09-2013, 09:59 AM
I have my grandmothers but I just don't feel right using it, there is no lap there to sit on anymore.

WILCO
09-27-2014, 11:24 AM
I was given a wooden rocking chair yesterday and I love it!
Had mentioned I wanted one some time ago and it slipped down the list of priorities.
A loved one had seen it for sale and made sure it came to me.
Now it's to be a family heirloom.

dragonrider
09-27-2014, 01:22 PM
Got a nice old rocker made of oak with an upholstered seat. Everyone needs a rocker, what else would you do with infant grandkids, gotta rock them. For those of you with older chairs that need repair, please don't try to drill anything, they are most likely held together with hide glue and are easily taken apart, use boiling hot water on the joints and wrap with a hot wet towel and it will come apart in minutes. If refinishing do not get any finish on the glue areas.

WILCO
09-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Just picked up another one! 20 bucks at the thrift store. That makes two.

KCSO
09-27-2014, 02:23 PM
I have my Grandmothers chair that she got from her mom. But I don't use it anymore when it creaks, I cry.

gandydancer
09-27-2014, 02:29 PM
We have three. one in master bedroom two on front deck with ceiling fans. and just to day my wife said I was off my rocker. lol

clintsfolly
09-27-2014, 02:56 PM
I make shaker rockers a hobby and a have a Osage Orange and Birdseye maple with a blue web seat in the livening room that I made in 1995. My son want it real bad and is getting married next March. So may have to make me a new one. Clint

Multigunner
09-27-2014, 03:04 PM
We have one but I can't use it....it's an antique child's hickory rocker...it was mine as a child and then it was "around" the whole time our kids were small and then their kids all took their turns in it from one time to another..hand made in the 30's..I have one of those. Mine "belonged" to every brother and sister at one time or another, a couple of the seat slats are missing but otherwise its still tight and strong. It was painted with the old style red barn stain, so its unlikely to ever rot.The same stain was used on the wooden stock of an ancient nickle plated popgun that everyone played with. I found the old popgun buried in the backyard some years ago, it had to have been there thirty + years but is still in pretty good shape. Its made of thick stamped steel tougher than that of most second and third generation SMGs.I also have a medium small folding wooden rocking chair, just big enough for a small woman. I don't know much about it someone gave it to my mom. Its in great shape. Another larger rocking chair, a now deceased girlfriend gave her, began to come apart after long storage in one of my sheds and needs to be reglued and pinned.

dragonrider
09-27-2014, 04:33 PM
I make shaker rockers a hobby and a have a Osage Orange and Birdseye maple with a blue web seat in the livening room that I made in 1995. My son want it real bad and is getting married next March. So may have to make me a new one. Clint

Clint do you have any pictures of your rockers??? I have built shaker tables and want to get on to other pieces of shaker furniture.

marlin39a
09-28-2014, 07:45 AM
I've been watching Craigslist for awhile for nice wooden rocker for my reloading room. They go fast when listed.

Czech_too
09-28-2014, 07:46 AM
Have one of the two rockers from my parents estate but don't use it much because it 'walks'. In other words it creeps backwards as your rocking. Before you realize it you're hitting the wall. Read somewhere that this is caused by the 'rockers' not being identical.

WILCO
09-28-2014, 08:37 AM
I've been watching Craigslist for awhile for nice wooden rocker for my reloading room. They go fast when listed.

Watch the second hand stores.

John Guedry
10-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Have 2 made of oak,belonged to my grandparents. Have no idea how old,they both passed away in the 1930's bout 10 or so years before my time.

trails4u
10-01-2014, 10:50 PM
I think we're up to seven..... Two on the front porch, two on the back porch, two in the living room....and one in momma's sewing room. The one in the sewing room belonged to her grandmother....the rest, we've just accumulated over the years. Nothing better!!

tward
10-02-2014, 12:00 AM
I bought an Amish reproduction of a Stickley Mission style, quarter sawn oak. Tim

pmer
10-02-2014, 08:30 AM
Here is our two. The one one left was a attic rescue from my grandparents. It had a missing left arm. The guy we took it to did a beautiful job, even matched the tight grain structure to the new parts. He called it a double pressed back rocker because the upper part is curved looking down on it from the top. The seat gave out since then and I put the black piece in.

doc1876
10-02-2014, 08:57 AM
I also got one for my wife (ex) when the first was born. It is real nice, has a very deep padding on the seat and the back with the "wing chair" type of top/back. The rest is real good wood, and it still holds her up (I guess). I hope my kids get it when she finally cashes in................
I remember my grandmother's sisters house had a standard hard wood with leather seat, and that got a lot of love which is why I insisted on getting her one for rocking the kids.
my dream is to be on the front porch in the woods rocking the day away........"there's uncle Joe, he's a movin' kinda slow at the Junction"

mold maker
10-02-2014, 09:33 AM
I have the child's rocker that Dad and siblings used ( turned over as a walker) learning to walk. The arms and top post have flats worn from being pushed across the floor.
I also have the cane bottom rocker that Grand Maw rocked both Dad and Me as children.
Boy do I miss the comfortable lap, that once made everything better.

captaint
10-02-2014, 09:37 AM
Old Mose was quite fond of his rocking chair on the front porch...

Mumblypeg
10-02-2014, 09:49 AM
Two on the front porch, a monster one in the barn.... may be more in the barn...

doc1876
10-02-2014, 08:26 PM
"I fooled em Marty, ate dirt, made em think I was crazy, fooled em good Marty"

searcher4851
10-03-2014, 10:22 AM
I have my mother's old rocker. It was always near the fireplace, and you needed permission to sit in it if she wasn't in it. One of my sisters has grandma's rocker.

I don't know a better way to quiet a baby than rocking em. It's just relaxing for both of you.

bob208
10-03-2014, 03:34 PM
got 2 boston rockers in the living room.

got one on the front pourch where i wait for salesmen.