PDA

View Full Version : One for our machinist

3jimbo3
07-07-2013, 03:23 PM
This is something for you machinist guys to think about, and it may already exist but I have just not found it yet.

If someone could take a sizer die, make it fit in a reloading press like a rock chucker, that could lube the bullet as you size it. Maybe with a way the pressurize the lube or force it onto the bullet somehow. It would be the same principle as the luber sizer but a lot more affordable to own.

This is just a thought, you guys make some amazing stuff and the imagination you have is outstanding. Like I say someone may have already done this but I haven't found anything yet.

I would be a customer as the price of the lyman's and rcbs's are going up very rapidly.

alrighty
07-07-2013, 03:32 PM
You can check this thread out , theperfessor did offer a nose first sizing kit.I wish I would have bought one of his sets when he offered them for sale.
It only sizes but I like the way it uses the dies you already may have.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?158620-Sign-Up-List-for-Nose-First-Sizer-Kit-Part-2&highlight=nose+first

Dale in Louisiana
07-07-2013, 03:45 PM
I remember reading about such a thing. It's on page 92 of my copy of Philip B. Sharpe's complete Guide to Handloading Second Edition (1937) and looks to be a screw-type lube reservoir that is perpendicular to a press-mounted die.

If somebody isn't already making one these days, it would seem to not be too big a project for somebody with access to a lathe and a vertical mill. If one settled on a standard size for a 7/8x14 sizing die, then the lube body could be removable so that one body would serve any number of exchangeable dies.

I don't see an advantage to this approach, though. a dedicated lube-sizer has a lot to be said for it.

dale in Louisiana

Wayne Smith
07-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Back a number of years ago there was a thread with multiple ideas of how to do just that. Unfortunately having the idea and having the ability to put it into production are two very different issues.

theperfessor
07-07-2013, 03:53 PM
The only thing practical device I was able to come up with was what was shown in the thread listed above. Anything else was so complicated, bulky and impractical that it offered no advantage over buying a regular luber/sizer. I still have the parts to make up the sizer set referred to above.

If anybody else can come up with something better knock yourself out!

scb
07-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Herters made one years ago. Was discussed here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?150902-Help-Mystery-Luber . I don't know that it worked very well.

MT Chambers
07-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Isn't Meacham making something like that??

country gent
07-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Yes Meachams is making one I looked at it a few weeks ago online. But I believe its only set up in the black powder calibers from them. Baco may have one also

Lights
07-07-2013, 07:17 PM
If the sizing portion of the lee sizers was closer to the top of the die body. Then I could see this being an easy mod to Lee's sizer die's. With that said a Toolmaker/Machinist could vary easily make one like Meacham does for himself, if he has the time. Come to think of it I am going to give it a shot. The die will only be for one size of bullet per die body. But the lube system will be able to be switched between die bodies.

Mark

gunoil
07-07-2013, 07:53 PM
stuff i found : youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJOkb3RxrZE

Another older one.
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/AF5F21A2-0D10-43BF-8855-2482671A8FE9-9325-00000A28E98C706A_zps506c4080.jpg

And this is fun to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXbLxgJnBnI

357maximum
07-07-2013, 08:16 PM
If one goes out and buys a STAR sizer alot of this thinking/scheming/dreaming simply goes away. :mrgreen:

I wish I could go back in time and kick my own @$$ for not buying one 15 years ago when I had the chance to do so for less than $100.

3jimbo3
07-07-2013, 09:47 PM
If the sizing portion of the lee sizers was closer to the top of the die body. Then I could see this being an easy mod to Lee's sizer die's. With that said a Toolmaker/Machinist could vary easily make one like Meacham does for himself, if he has the time. Come to think of it I am going to give it a shot. The die will only be for one size of bullet per die body. But the lube system will be able to be switched between die bodies.

Mark

If you accomplish this with the Lee sizer, please let me know if and how well it works. I would be very interested in purchasing some from you.

blikseme300
07-07-2013, 09:50 PM
If one goes out and buys a STAR sizer alot of this thinking/scheming/dreaming simply goes away. :mrgreen:

I wish I could go back in time and kick my own @$$ for not buying one 15 years ago when I had the chance to do so for less than $100.

Exactly! I danced all around the issue trying to do it the cheapest way possible. Bought my 1st Star a few years ago and soon got into making my own dies. Looking back I just shake my head. I can make a new die in less than an hour and be lubing away soon after. Nothing beats a Star.

3jimbo3
07-07-2013, 09:55 PM

I know, I was looking on sleezebay the other day and the Lyman 450's was going for $200 plus. I'm sure there were some cheaper but I got disgusted and turned off the puter.

Dale in Louisiana
07-07-2013, 09:59 PM
I got a Lyman 450 off eBay for seventy0five bucks a few weeks ago. Just keep checking. Bargains do happen.

dale in Louisiana

3jimbo3
07-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Yeah after I posted the price I had found, I went back and searched for them. I found some starting at ariund fifty bucks. Thats more like it, these price gougers need to be taken out back to the wood shed, like papaw use to do.

Lights
07-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Well today I shot some bullets coated with Klass Kote epoxy paint. These were sized in a Lee sizer and it does not effect the paint. Plus I had the cleanest barrel ever after shooting 30 rounds. There was only powder residue left in the barrel. So with that said. I am no longer in need of making a lube sizer like we were talking about.

quasi
07-18-2013, 01:32 AM
Buckshot had an idea or design along these lines, I am not sure if he has followed up on it.

gcollins
07-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Hi Guys,
That upside down Lee press look's like the real deal if you like the tumbled lubed bullets! If I did I would make me one! I say this not to insult anyone, I am old and set in my ways and can't stand to handle those sticky bullets! Maybe if a person spread them out on a cookie sheet and kept them in a freezer until time to size them :shock: My black powder loads, I lube with a home made lube I make, the bullets are kept in a freezer until time to load and shoot! They are not a summer lubed bullet! I keep hard lube in my Lyman 450, and home made lube in the Orange Lyman sizer . When I read the first post and read about $200.00 for a 450 I was going to sale mine for that prize!! Being honest I like to use the Orange one! At this time I have not poured a bullet or sizerluber any since I got hurt, that isn't true, I poured a few 500gr for my Sharps Rifle, and pour a few different pistol bullets do to my stupXXXXXXX! When I sold my Master Caster, I had to replace all the molds I let go with it! Not paying attention to what I bought, I ended up with a few tumble lube molds, I cast some of the 230gr 45acp, and tried them,
and that was that! I have a bullet guy right now that sell's me my pistol bullets at a very good price, I call him and tell him what I want, and he will have them ready to pick up!
Thanks for your time.
G