PDA

View Full Version : Lyman neck expand die 38AP

Muddydogs
07-06-2013, 06:03 PM
I acquired a die in a trade or somewhere and just wondering if its a Lyman M die or the predecessor to the M die. On the die it reads Lyman Neck Expand. On the expander plug it says 38AP. The expander plug measures .358. Just wondering the history on the die, I found it in my extra die pile when I was looking for a .38 belling die to load some 158 grain cast bullets in 357 cases. Figured I scored big for not remembering I have it but after trying to set the die up it became obvious that I need to trim the cases to length. I hate trimming, already have a couple thousand cases waiting on trimming as it is.

ku4hx
07-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Used in the Lyman powder expanding die system for 38 Auto, 9mm and 38 Super if memory serves me correctly. I think it has a long drop stem.

I've never trimmed a straight walled pistol case in my life. I have all the equipment (L.E. Wilson), bought it years ago, but never needed it.

fecmech
07-06-2013, 07:43 PM
That is the "M" die for the 9MM and 38 super(38 Auto pistol). There is also the 38 P for the .38/.357 and the 38 MAP for the Makarov.

Muddydogs
07-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Used in the Lyman powder expanding die system for 38 Auto, 9mm and 38 Super if memory serves me correctly. I think it has a long drop stem.

I've never trimmed a straight walled pistol case in my life. I have all the equipment (L.E. Wilson), bought it years ago, but never needed it.

I don't trim pistol either but with this die I had it set up and came across a long case which got mushroomed out from the expander. Had to run the case through a seater die to get the flair out enough to resize.

Didn't realize the M die had been around a while, the die I have appears to be a few years old.

ku4hx
07-07-2013, 08:00 AM
a long case which got mushroomed out from the expander.
Oh yeah, I've done that too. But those few just went into the scrap bucket.

I assumed "have a couple thousand cases waiting on trimming as it is" was referring to pistol cases. I DO trim bottle neck rifle cases so another lesson on what "assume" can mean.

Shiloh
07-07-2013, 08:13 AM

Nor have I.

Shiloh

Muddydogs
07-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Oh yeah, I've done that too. But those few just went into the scrap bucket.

I assumed "have a couple thousand cases waiting on trimming as it is" was referring to pistol cases. I DO trim bottle neck rifle cases so another lesson on what "assume" can mean.

No I was referring to the back log of rifle cases I have setting around. Just started loading for the 30/30 so I have been processing brass as well as cleaning up some twice fired rifle brass from load development and sighting in. Don't really want to add pistol brass into the mix. What I found was that I have a bunch of short cases in the 357 mix so trimming isn't going to help anyway.

LouB
07-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Not to hi-jack this thread, but what is the designation for the M die plug to properly bell the .380 auto. I've been using the above 38ap , but it'd too long and leave a step in the .380 brass to get to a proper bell.

THX
Lou B

ku4hx
07-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Not to hi-jack this thread, but what is the designation for the M die plug to properly bell the .380 auto. I've been using the above 38ap , but it'd too long and leave a step in the .380 brass to get to a proper bell.

THX
Lou B

My "M" die is designed to leave a step. If I don't want that, I just back the stem out a bit. But the idea of an "M" die is to make it easier to seat a boolit without lead shaving. I find that little step perfect for setting boolits down onto just prior to seating them. You're crimp die, when properly adjusted, will then remove the step by closing it around the boolit.