PDA

View Full Version : Alloy expansion.

JeffinNZ
10-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Team.

Should I expect any degree of expansion from a 220gr .314 calibre bullet, alloy BHN 9.5-10 exiting at 1500fps, on the likes of deer? Range in the bush likely no more than 50 yards.

Obviously bone strike will have a major postive effect.

jhalcott
10-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Nose shape will contribute to expansion some. Flat noses SEEM to give better terminal effects than round noses or pointed bullets.

DanWalker
10-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Expect nothing...Test EVERYTHING.
An easy way to find out what that boolit will do is to set up a couple of water soaked phone books with a gallon jug of water sandwiched in between them. Bind them all together with duct tape, and shoot into them.
I try to use thin(less than 6") phone books. You can also include a piece of 1/2"plywood on the back side of the rear phone book if you want to simulate hitting the offside shoulder upon exiting.(My preferred shot)
I've seen VERY similar results between this test medium and performance on live animals.

leftiye
10-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Jeff,
It sounds real good to me (probly will expand). Other guys here say air cooled wheelweights will expand. At the close distance, they should still be traveling fast enough to expand still.

If you have time, do as Dan suggested and test them. Wet phone books, wet newspapers, wet sawdust or shavinge are some suggestions. Plastic gallon milk jugs full of water have been known to expand, but don't generally have enough resistance.

Bullshop
10-03-2007, 10:16 PM
A very general rule I use is,
impact velocity = BHN x 100 for expansion to begin.
The higher the impack velocity is over the BHN x 100 the greater the degree of expansion.
BIC/BS