PDA

View Full Version : Favorite edition of Lyman Cast Bullet Manual

Liberty'sSon
07-05-2013, 08:30 PM
What's your favorite edition of the Lyman manual and why?

John Boy
07-05-2013, 08:36 PM
The latest - more information and data

Cosmiceyes
07-05-2013, 09:15 PM
#3 as it has more useable technical information. Older calibers that the new #4 left out. Calibers that people really use,and have fun with. Half of the new one was a fabrication of one mans personal history,and very little information applying to the chapter header. I bought #4 went through it,and sent it back. I wish they had them in hard cover.I will have to put #3 in a binder.

Dale53
07-05-2013, 09:35 PM
When I saw that the #3 was being replaced, I bought my second one (the first one was about worn out, literally). I also bought the #4 and believe it is a worthy addition. No way is it as good as the #3 but it IS worth the price.

So, get both and enjoy... (if you can find a #3, that is).

Dale53

Dusty Bannister
07-05-2013, 09:40 PM
I like the 3rd edition and mine is completely worn out. Even those paper as...... uh, gummed reinforcements so I can use a binder are worn out. I will probably end up scanning a copy for my own use, just to have the information. The 4th edition is a nice addition, but does not replace the usefullness of #3.
Dusty

williamwaco
07-05-2013, 09:42 PM
I find #3 more interesting because of the older calibers and a LOT of firearms history.
That said, I use #4 more because of the later powders.

07-05-2013, 10:03 PM
I much prefer the 3rd edition. The 4th's content is too much one man's opinion, in both its articles and new loads. While I respect the author's experience and knowledge, my experience leads me to disagree with much of what he wrote. I even wonder if the 4th's new loads were developed under controlled laboratory conditions, or on his personal range.

However, the 4th edition should sit on the shelf right next to the 3rd edition.

detox
07-05-2013, 10:07 PM
I have both #3 and #4 and i think #4 is more interesting and helpful.

Larry Gibson
07-05-2013, 10:07 PM
+ another for the 3rd edition. Good data and technical info up front is better. #4 is alright for the new data but most of the info up front is "dumbed down". Maybe todays new casters are "dumber" than us older guys who learned reading the technical "how to's" but somehow I doubt that.

Larry Gibson

MT Gianni
07-05-2013, 11:23 PM
I have 1, 3, and 4. I would like to read 2 but use 3 the most by far. If they made #5 in a few years I would buy that as well, but probably still use 3.

JeffinNZ
07-05-2013, 11:34 PM
I like the order versions. That info is harder to get now. Love to see old moulds etc.

btroj
07-05-2013, 11:38 PM
I use 3 the most. 4 just isn't the same.....

flipajig
07-06-2013, 12:02 AM
I have #3 and #4 I both have some great info.
Flip

ku4hx
07-06-2013, 04:20 AM
They're like children; I like them all equally. But since the #3 is a closer match to my age, we seem to get along better.

jmort
07-06-2013, 04:35 AM
I only have 4th and it is O.K.This thread makes me want to get 3rd

Liberty'sSon
07-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Great, thanks folks. Looks like I need to find third and fourth editions. It's only money, right? ;)

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-06-2013, 01:38 PM
I think it's best to have all of them if possible (I have 1,3,4), while I have only been casting for 3+ years I do read the latest edition (4th) the most, but having others to double check, triple check is imperative.
I also have the RCBS one, honestly not much to that one...but it still gets a view now and again.
Jon

PS, I also have "nick harvey's practical reloading manual"...while it's mostly covers jacketed bullets, it does have some cast loads. and of course Lee's manual is a good mix also.

Liberty'sSon
07-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Ok, I just bought the 1973 edition and the 4th edition together on fleabay for $29 hopefully a good deal. However it appears that the 1973 edition is notbthe same are the third edition. Is this true? Maybe I shouldn't say it here, ;) but there is one third edition with about 7 hrs left currently at about $30. Any info on the 1973 edition would help. Thanks in advance. This forum is great.

Outpost75
07-06-2013, 02:38 PM
I have both #3 and #4 and i think #4 is more interesting and helpful.

I have them all, but use the older ones mostly for historical info on the old tools and bullets.

My No. 4 is well dog-eared and its binding reglued and repaired with GI 90mph tape..

dudel
07-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Have 3 and 4. Like both prefer 4 because it has current powder and GAP loadings, also includes more non Lyman molds.

mdi
07-06-2013, 04:08 PM
The 3rd Edition was my first manual dealing with cast bullets and it really helped me get started casting. I purchased the 4th as soon as it came out and was disappointed. The "how to" section and shooting/casting articles in the 4th are nowhere as helpful/interesting to a new caster as the 3rd. There may be more bullets and powders in the 4th, but unless you're into Black Powder Cartridge Competition shooting, the 3rd is much better and you don't need a Phd to read the metallurgy chapters...

If Lyman were to bring the 3rd back, I'd buy another one.

sthwestvictoria
07-06-2013, 06:23 PM
The 3rd has a lovely section at the front on the history of the Ideal company, old tong tools and molds. There is an interesting pictorial on how Lyman molds are made. There is a great two page section on lead hardness, malleability and expansion which is useful for the hunter.

Would people agree that overall the 3rd has more information on faster powders for rifle data - shotgun and pistol powders whereas the 4th has some fast powder data but has more medium speed rifle powders - IMR 4198, H 4895. This may reflect more of where people seem to be looking for accuracy these days - medium speed powders for reduced cast loads?

Off topic but I would also state the Lee manual is good for data as is the Lyman Reloading Manual. Of course the Fryxell eBook is excellent. Dean Grennells edition of the ABC of reloading actually taught me the most about the business of casting.

floodgate
08-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Liberty:

Depends on your interests. Nos. 3 and 4 are better for reloading info. The 1973 is the best overall display of the whole array of bullet designs (past and current, with photos) and their weights, seating screws and lube-sizer top punches. Since my interest is more historical, I get most use out of the original 1958 edition (with a re-arranged title "Handbook of Cast Bullets") - I have worn out two or three copies - which has a lot of anecdotal info by past users and designers, but lists only some of the bullet weights. The First and Second Editions have been reprinted by Cornell Publications in durable, enlarged (8-1/2" x 11") and affordable formats.

clownbear69
08-21-2013, 02:00 PM
I only have the fourth one (been suggested the 3rd and trying to find under 50 bucks). As stated before the chapters themselves seem to be an autobiography and he was covering casting instead of being technical ( almost done with it.)

I Will have to say in the lines of Data awesome data just because of different mould types companies etc

Janoosh
08-21-2013, 02:35 PM
I use the 1973 version for mold reference..and use the third issue for loading. There is also a lot of loading info for cast in the Lyman 45 manual.

jimb16
08-21-2013, 04:33 PM
I have both 3 and 4 and I find myself using 3 a lot more than 4.

dragonrider
08-21-2013, 06:25 PM
#3, 4 is ok but I prefer 3. I would buy another 3 if I find one for a reasonable price. I'd like to keep one in the den and one in the loading room.

prs
08-22-2013, 11:26 AM
I like Mike V. and like his writing style; but having so much of the up-front info based upon one fellow's experience did throw me off track for a while. I really like the up-front on the 3rd and some of the writing reminds me of the old Dixie Gun Works catalog. Much of the loading data is the same and I use either. I check the powder maker's sites too. The inclusion of a few molds of other makes is appreciated and hope for that to be expanded next go-around.

I have to boast about this forum right here! In many ways it is better than Lyman Manuals, give the caveat to consider all internet info with intent to verify.

prs

prs
08-22-2013, 11:39 AM
#3, 4 is ok but I prefer 3. I would buy another 3 if I find one for a reasonable price. I'd like to keep one in the den and one in the loading room.

Check Amazon. I just purchased a 1973 edition for 18 skins.

prs

avogunner
08-22-2013, 12:34 PM
I bought the 3rd edition in '87 or '88 when I started casting. In those pre-internet days, it was my only guide and teacher. I have since cast thousands of boolits and I've come to rely on it above all other sources .... and if other material has conflicting info....#3 rules! That being said, I also have #4 and use it for load data but there doesn't seem to be any absolutely needed new info.

casterofboolits
08-22-2013, 07:36 PM
#3, we've grown old together and it has always given me good advice for the calibers I load. I have many molds that aen.t in the #4.

10x
08-23-2013, 01:15 AM
I use the 3rd edition and the first edition.
The 4 edition is interesting reading but does not give many low velocity, low noise loads.

rintinglen
08-23-2013, 07:32 AM
I have all 4, 1st through 4th, and have read then all cover to cover. I have to say that if I could have only one, it would be the 3rd. The historical information on the Ideal Company and the history of Boolits is very interesting, and the info on hardening boolits by Heat Treating was very useful when I started casting for rifles. The drawback is that some of the loads listed are for powders that were discontinued many years ago. Alcan? WW-630? And of course, newer powders like Titegroup, Power Pistol, Varget, Accurate Arms, etc aren't covered at all--guess their crystal ball was not quite accurate enough back in the day. Also, the 44 and 357 mag loads are a little energetic at the top end, due to the SAAMI reduction in Max. Allowable Pressure that took place after the 3rd Edition was published. Still, there is wealth of info there, especially light boolit Gallery type loads that have been omitted in the 4th.

One of the things I found strange was the Reduction in loads for such staples as the 30-30 and the 30-06 in favor of the likes of the 45-100, 50-70, and the 338 RCM. I would bet a paycheck that more cast boolits are fired from 30-30's in a week end than will ever go down range from a .338 RCM. The 4th Edition has more modern powder data, though, and that is necessary, especially these days when you can't always get what you want down at the LGS. I am glad I have both. In fact, I consider myself lucky--I have many older manuals so I can find loads for just about any powder that comes my way this side MR-17.

EMC45
08-23-2013, 09:29 AM
I like the 3rd the best........Because it's the only one I have.

alamogunr
08-23-2013, 09:43 AM
+1 on #3. I have all 4 also but 1 and 2 are of limited use since I prefer the later data in #3 and don't have most of the old cartridges/powders/molds that are covered in the first two.

I'm glad that I don't have to try to find the 3rd edition now. It is probably very expensive. Try the book search sites rather than ebay.

http://www.abebooks.com/
http://www.alibris.com/
http://www.bookfinder.com/

Duckiller
08-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Got a reprint of #2. for older calibers and older powders it is very good. #2 lists ALL lyman molds at that time. #4 just lists current molds. if you buy used molds, #2 is a lot more useful. Not sure what #3 lists and don't want to go to reloading room to find out.

10x
08-23-2013, 11:16 PM
Reprints of the Lyman (and other old manuals) are available from Cornell Publications.

prs
08-26-2013, 10:09 AM
As stated above and due to this fine thread, I ordered a 1973c edition through Amazon on AUgust 22 and it arrived this AM (August 26) in excellent condition. This is a plastic splined book with no edition stated. Is it a "#1" or is there an earlier edition.

On one of my favorite listings, the 45ACP 452374 it lists 7.3gr Unique. That seemingly over-stated charge persist into the current edition. I have not and intend not to "go there".

prs