PDA

View Full Version : Star sizer adjustment problems

crabo
10-02-2007, 12:43 AM
I spent about 2 hours and 250 cast bullets trying to adjust my used Star sizer. I started by using a heat gun and melted out all of the old lube. I am wondering if I got it all out because I would occasionally have a good lube job if I let the bullet set for a minute. If I pushed them through fairly fast, they might not have a complete lube ring.

I am using a Saeco 69 bullet with only one lube groove. I am also using a die with only one set lube holes. I am using BAC lube.

Questions:

1. Is there a way to set the punch up easily? I think once I get it set, I will use a jam nut to hold it in place. (and then measure and write it down)

2. How often do you crank the lube pressure screw down? How do you know when it is tight enough?

I assume that if I get everything set right, I should be able to push the bullets through as fast as I can handle them.

Thanks,

Crabo

DonH
10-02-2007, 05:10 AM
My recollection is that when you get enough pressure to completely fill the lube grooves on each bullet you can stop turning the screw. Lubes are different consistencies so the "feel" is different when turning the pressure screw. Once you get the lube flowing jsut give the screw a partial turn maybe every 10-12 bullets or so. I never had a rule of thumb as to how often to turn it. Just start running bullets and you will figure it out. If some bullets don't get enough lube jsut run them through again.
Lube softened with heat will require much less pressure in the lube reservoir. Too much heat/too soft lube will result in lube continuing to flow out of the die. When using a Star I simplified by using the otherwise adequate lube which required the least amount of heat to make it flow. For me the Star was for pistol bullets which just do not require the rock-hard lubes, even in magnums.

454PB
10-02-2007, 12:03 PM
The Star uses two pumps, the big handle on the reservoir feeds lube via the spring pressure to the high pressure pump that is activated by the operating handle. The linkage for the high pressure pump on the operating handle is adjustable, and the amount of movement can be adjusted by turning the bolt in or out. Since you are only lubing one groove, it should not need a lot of throw.

The easiest way to get repeatable results is to do as you stated....take measurements and write them down for future reference. Getting the adjustment the first time is the time consuming part.

It sounds like you may still have some old dried up lube stuck in the system. I bought mine used and it had the same problem. I used a hair dryer to heat it up, put some known good lube in it, then removed the large plug on the lower left of the pump and pushed the new lube through to clean everything out. I then replaced the plug and it took 100 or so boolits to flush all the congealed crap out.

How often the reservoir handle has to be turned depends on the size and number of lube grooves of course, but when I'm doing say .45 caliber 230 Lee TC boolits, I only have to crank it every 15 to 20 boolits. Just remember that the reservoir handle is only feeding lube to the real pumper at the bottom.

crabo
10-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Guys, thanks for the advice. I took the lower piston and plug out and put the hair dryer to it. Cleaned it up and put it back together. I thought I had ordered a die with only one set of holes, but it had 2. I plugged the lower and had it lubing great in no time.

This thing is fast. I would think that once you use it, it would be hard to use anything else if you are doing any kind of volume. I am starting to get excited. I am ready to load my first batch of bullets that I have cast, sized and lubed. After shooting everyone else's cast, this is going to be fun.

Crabo