PDA

View Full Version : Lead Causes Violence??

Blacksmith
07-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Here is an article that considers a variety of theories on the causes of violence including one that says lead in the atmosphere causes violence.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/incredible-much-safer-america-become-153000210.html

In an extensive look at the lead/violence theory, Kevin Drum of Mother Jones cited research that found "even moderately high levels of lead exposure are associated with aggressivity, impulsivity, ADHD, and lower IQ. And right there, you've practically defined the profile of a violent young offender."

They completely ignore the possibility that more armed citizens reduces crime.

frkelly74
07-04-2013, 04:04 PM
And Big Macks with fries cause littering,

Bzcraig
07-04-2013, 04:47 PM
But what is true is......wait for it..........junk science causes idiots!

JeffinNZ
07-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Lead has been attributed to behavioural disorders. I did some research when I fund my Pb leads in my blood were high.

MtGun44
07-04-2013, 07:17 PM
Well, if somebody slings a few lead slugs in my direction, it may cause
me to become violent. :bigsmyl2:

or RUN!

Bill

Maven
07-04-2013, 08:53 PM
"even moderately high levels of lead exposure are associated with aggressivity...."

Interesting idea, but note that he said "associated with*," which is by no means the same as "caused by."

*substitute the word correlation here, but it still doesn't = causation.

Hamish
07-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Lead has been attributed to behavioural disorders. I did some research when I fund my Pb leads in my blood were high.

Hmm, what weird things were you doing that your family urged you to get tested? :bigsmyl2:

That's funny, I thought they took the lead out of the air when they took the lead out of the gasoline,,,,,:veryconfu

AZ-JIM
07-04-2013, 09:14 PM
I dont know about that, my local shooting range is a pretty polite place....
Generally speaking.
But by volume I would say lead vs violence is pretty low.

az-jim

DCM
07-04-2013, 09:22 PM
A properly used dose of lead will quickly end violence.

DCM
07-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Hmm, what weird things were you doing that your family urged you to get tested? :bigsmyl2:

Wearing purple long johns(externaly) in public does comes to mind.

DeanWinchester
07-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Lead in the surrounding atmosphere can reduce violence too.......shot placement is critical though.

JeffinNZ
07-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Wearing purple long johns(externaly) in public does comes to mind.

Aw, shucks. You guys just care too much about me...... ;-)

leeggen
07-04-2013, 11:43 PM
lead is an accumlative and it takes 2 yrs. to completely show in the system Have a friend that had lead poisoning an so he done a real long term investigation in to it. lot more to it than just dr says my count is 4pt/mil. or such. It is something all us casters must pay attention to. Most times it is just simple thing like washing our hands and face during and after casting don't eat or drink during casting. Mostly comon sense things to reduce our chances rather than Gasmask protective suit. Now if you want to cover all bases then do what you think you need to do to protect yourself.
CD

uscra112
07-05-2013, 02:46 AM
I seem to recall that those studies associating lead with violence and other dysfunctions focused on children who ingested lead before the age of six. Lead does do bad things to a developing nervous system. Not so much in adults.

41 mag fan
07-05-2013, 09:37 AM
hmmmmmm....lead causes violence??
Is that maybe whats wrong with a populace that rises against their gov't?? I.E. Egypt, Syria, Libia???
Maybe the U.S. was pumping huge amount of lead fumes into the countries to create a violent uprising??

Or how about the gang wars?? Maybe the gov't is feeding them gang bangers lead chips in their milk and cheese rations....

This poppycock of lead causing violence is like the federal gov't study that found that street signs that are in all capital letters causes a person to be angry and aggressive.
YIPPPEEEE YIIII AAAA....your hard earned tax dollar at work

Bzcraig
07-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Posted by 41 Mag Fan

This poppycock of lead causing violence is like the federal gov't study that found that street signs that are in all capital letters causes a person to be angry and aggressive.

Are you kidding me.......I had not heard that before. What really ticks me off is that some overpaid numbskull had their position funded for probably a couple of years to do this study. How the heck did they legitimize the findings. Did they follow home every person who saw the bloody sign to see if they practiced domestic violence safely or unsafely?

KCSO
07-05-2013, 10:50 AM
That has certinaly been the case for me, every time I get shot at I shoot back!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-05-2013, 03:51 PM
a friends mother works with the Minnesota DNR on air and water quality studies , they study the amounts of lead , mercury and other things in the air and water and she specifically monitors the levels in infants and children for the Minnesota department of heath.
add 2+2 and you get higher levels in the environment the kids are in the higher their levels in their blood.

thing is this isn't my lead or your lead , this isn't the mercury in thermometers , they estimate that in fact Minnesota can only control at most 10% of the lead and mercury in Minnesota that the rest comes in in the upper atmosphere riding the jet stream from far away places like china

so much for the not in my back yard approach to industry , we get the pollution and loose the jobs , could have done it right here instead it was sent away to be done wrong , but a cheap wrong , or is it?

the next question would be do kids with high levels of lead exhibit rage , or are they just stupid , or are they just more likely to come from a household where education isn't a priority. finding a control group on this one is going to be hard.

we know that lead aside , kids in homes with parents with little education tend to receive little education , they tend to resort to violence , and their social setting usually involves a violent climate , basically if you don't train the dog well you they resort to pack instinct, pack mentality and a pecking order is established based on who can beat who in a physical altercation being that humans, are users of tools and well we seek to improve their standing with tools to compensate for physical strength.

actually one of the things they were studying was where the kids pick up the lead , that doesn't make this argument look any better.

since Minnesota can only control 10% of the pollution that lands in Minnesota it would seem like they could only make a maximum of 10% difference if in fact pollution was to blame for 100 % of it but even pollution taking the full blame for it could only really be maybe 5-10% of the problem if that , so while i am for cleaning things up 5% of less than 10% of a whole is well not much a half a half % or less not even a amount significant enough to exceed the standard deviation.

so even if you play to "their" science , it becomes clear something else must be to blame and other solutions should be sought.

so while it isn't our metallic lead kept under 1000 degrees that is the issue , it is spelled the same as "their" lead.

DougGuy
07-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Lead really does cause violence. Lead in my nearby atmosphere could spark a violent reaction which could then turn lead around to end the violence once it reaches the party responsible for lead in my atmosphere....