PDA

View Full Version : What do I have here? Never seen these before, 9mm Plastic?

possom813
07-04-2013, 02:34 AM
Headstamp reads as follows, "IVI" on the top "9mm" on the lower left and "08" on the lower right.

The photo is of a plain 9mm 9x19 case, with this case compressed and extended next to it?

Any ideas as to what it is?

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k96/possom75110/Reloading%20Adventures/100_1622.jpg

Dryball
07-04-2013, 03:00 AM
This should help:

IVI = Industries Valcartier Inc. (Presently SNC Technologies Inc.) ...it's Canadian, Vancouver

Dryball
07-04-2013, 03:07 AM
They look like Simunitions ammo. It's a training round...the capsules should be filled with "paint"...used by military and L.E.

possom813
07-04-2013, 03:17 AM
Alrighty, we were debating it being a wax projectile or some type of pepper ball setup.

We found 10 at the range, trying to think of something constructive/destructive to do with them.

jonp
07-04-2013, 04:41 AM
Training ammo commonly used indoors and also as non-lethal crowd control

Bravo 4
07-04-2013, 05:30 AM
They look like Simunitions ammo. It's a training round...the capsules should be filled with "paint"...used by military and L.E.

What he said...
Your weapon has to be converted (with a kit) to fire them. They are better than paintball guns but fairly expensive. We have the kits for our M4's and M9's but cannot get any more rounds due to cost.

mactool
07-04-2013, 06:15 AM
Maybe the casing can be used for a leight weight .40 bullet in the 140-150 grain range

possom813
07-04-2013, 07:29 AM
I loaded a few this morning with a small rifle primer and a wax bullet.

They chambered and fired in our 9mm largo 'test' gun(bad barrel)

Not really good for anything, but fun to play with, now they'll go in the box of junk for a later date.

fryboy
07-04-2013, 07:57 AM
dryball has it right , there's a lil plastic domed capsule filled with paint , they have six slits and when they impact a flat hard surface they leave a cool lil paint star splatter ( that looks like those six slits enlarged into a starburst ) they come in several calibers and i think i like the 38 special ones best lolz

Larry Gibson
07-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Simunitions ammunition. Has a little plastic bullet filled with dye (blue and red). Used in special weapons so they would function the action. Used a lot in MOUT training.

Larry Gibson

Rick R
07-04-2013, 10:45 AM
+1 on Simunition http://simunition.com/en/

Probably their "FX" cartridge that fires the colored soap filled pellet. Hurts like the Dickens to get hit on bare skin, usually leaves a bruise to remind you that you screwed up and got shot.

Additionally that same cartridge is used with a hard plastic pellet for indoor shooting without the need for an expensive shoot house. And they make a "blank" that looks like a loaded FX round, it cycles the modified firearm but doesn't shoot anything out of the muzzle.

The actual FX pellets are 8mm to prevent loading a live 9mm in a converted firearm.

Jailer
07-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Bruise? I took one to the forearm from about 7 yards and it broke the skin.

warboar_21
07-04-2013, 02:22 PM
We used those in our SRT training in the Army. They allow you to use your handgun or rifle instead of using a paintball gun which is entirely different. Those things hurt like hell when you were hit with them. I took one to the finger and my finger tip was numb for several months. We ended up having to wear helmets, paintball face masks and heavier clothing because several people had some serious bruises or broken skin from them when shot up close.

MtGun44
07-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Simunitions fire a small paintball type projectile that is quite painful, but
excellent training. The plastic piston pushes the case back hard enough
to cycle the action with ammo with a recoil impulse that would not normally
be able to cycle the action.

Bill