PDA

View Full Version : How to de-skunk your dog

buckwheatpaul
07-03-2013, 10:32 PM
After looking for remedies for de-skunking a dog I found one that was invented by a veterinarian...it truly works.....

Components:

1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup of baking soda
1 tsp. liquid soap (Dawn, etc.)
Any brand of hair conditioner

Directions:

1. Mix the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and liquid soap in a bucket
2. Wet the dog completely
3. Work all ingredients into the coat (except the hair conditioner)
4. Leave the solution on the dog for at least 4 to 5 minutes
5. Rinse the dog completely with fresh water
6. Add some hair conditioner to the dog coat, work it in, rinse.

Works great....I promise you will not be disappointed.

Just remember that the liquid the skuck sprays is acid based....so when you use tomato juice you are adding acid to an already bad situation......

nhrifle
07-04-2013, 12:15 AM
Except for the conditioner, that recipe is what took the smell out of my yard. I shot a skunk that had been making himself known for several months. It sprayed mightily when it died and I figured that was the last I would ever smell of it so I dumped the body a few hundred yards behind my house and went on with my life. Several days later the entire neighborhood was ready to lynch me. The body was gone by that point (figure a wandering critter ate it, ewww!) but the stench remained. It took two separate applications of that brew, 3 gallons each, but the smell was finally gone. That stuff works!

Honorstick
07-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Yep, it works great had to use it a few times on the wifes sheperd and it worked every time.

snuffy
07-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Remington used to make,(they may still make it) something IIRC called sportsman's soap. It was supposed to kill smell on you hands when fishing. Like fiddling with your outboard motor, then getting that gas/oil smell on your baits.

Used on your skunk sprayed dog, it cancelled the stink pretty well. Dog didn't like it, but seemed to understand he couldn't get in the house without a bath first!:violin::cry: Damn fool would still try to chase them, didn't get the clue he had to undergo a bath each time!:popcorn:

rush1886
07-04-2013, 03:20 PM
The OP's recipe is Fantastic! It WORKS!
We found this recipe AFTER a 75mile drive home in a 25' motorhome, with a marked pup. We'll never forget that trip!
We've used the recipe a couple of times since, and it does work!
The only thing we've found negative, is, it does not keep well. Do not mix it up and take off on a 3-4 day camp trip with it premixed. Just make sure to have the ingredients on hand, and mix them up on an "incident" basis.

Harter66
07-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Masengale douch powder 3-4 tbsp/qt of water. That what we used on skunked dogs in the grooming shop. Apply,rinse,apply,shampoo,rinse,condition,rinse.
Worked every time.

dolang1
07-04-2013, 10:46 PM
My wife uses Natures Miracle that she buys at the pet store. Keeps a gallon in the wash room all the time.