PDA

View Full Version : ? on Checkering Lines per inch ?

KyBill
07-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Going to checker one of my Renegades . Been looking on the net its Dealers choice . Thinking of going 16 LPI shotgun style
what were the styles of mid to late 1800s

Boz330
07-05-2013, 08:53 AM
More lines per inch makes it more difficult so 16 is a good choice if you haven't done it before. As far as traditional I can't answer that question. The Renegade isn't traditional anyway so I don't know as I would worry about it.

Bob

KyBill
07-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Boz303 Bob I Have never checkerd anything before I did decide to style it to an ole shotgun pattern and from reading and a video or two 16 LPI is best for any beginner. now to round up a checkering set.

waksupi
07-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Practice on some scrap wood first!

KCSO
07-05-2013, 10:55 AM
You might look at the early Leman of Fordney rifles for an example. I copy the skip line CHECKERING with interspaced silver or brass dots on some of my rifles. This is not what I would cal true checkering as it does not point up except for where the lines cross but it is what was popular back then.

Mk42gunner
07-05-2013, 12:09 PM
If you don't have perfect vision, get one of the magnifying visors that will allow you to focus at your working distance.

Robert

RoyEllis
07-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Practice on some scrap wood first!

Practice on a LOT of scrap wood first! (fixed it for ya waksupi)
Seriously, do practice a great deal before your 1st patterns on a gun, lots less grief & heartache screwing up a scrap pc than your prized shootin' iron.

KyBill
07-06-2013, 11:00 PM
from what you all and what little I read a lot of practice will be requied .have a couple old Ball Bats think round and tapered will be a big plus for practice.
MK42gunner magnifying Visor will be good for my ole eyes
KCSO I know it is not going to be a true period Gun and a little of the old with a dash of new is just what I need . I just dont want to overdo it