PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a Thermocouple for this noob..

armedmoose
07-03-2013, 04:40 PM
I have one of these BBQ Handheld Thermometers enroute (thanks to my lovely wife).... I realized it uses K-type thermocouples.

Anyone suggest a vendor for a thermocouple for my Lee casting pot? I tried looking at the PID Auberns links but couldn't find any are currently linked to product to sell.

Any suggestions or vendors here on Castboolits I can support? thanks! Would love to be able to use this handheld for casting as well as my BBQ smoking hobby.

The thermocouple plugs in here, I assume it is "k-type" plug, but I am a rookie so be gentle:

Baja_Traveler
07-03-2013, 05:10 PM
You are going to need two things here. 1) is type K thermocouple wire (specify a high temp jacket). 2) is a Type K Miniature Flat Pin Connector to plug the wire into your meter. You absolutely have to have a Type K connector, and it will be color coded yellow. Type K is used for higher temp measurement, and has a Chromel and Alumel wire, so the connector material must be of the same material or you will get inaccurate or whacked out readings.
I usually order my materials from a vendor local to me here in San Diego (Thermx Southwest), but you should also be able to get it from Graingers or do a search for thermocouple wire in your area.

el34
07-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Here's the one I got-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121086204515?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_628wt_976

4" length fits the Lee pot very well. The connector is on it and it comes with an adapter to also use with a multimeter.

theperfessor
07-03-2013, 08:24 PM
You really ought to talk to Frozone. He is the resident PID/thermocouple expert here. Probably other pros here also but Frozone has always been real helpful to me.