PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Chronograph and I have no idea what to look for

possom813
07-02-2013, 09:06 PM
A couple of friends and I are looking to invest in a good chronograph with a printer or printer capability.

We're looking for quality, and value. I'd like to stay in the $200 range, but if what we're looking for can't be had for $200, then we'll pony up more, but $200 sounds like a good starting number.

What would y'all recommend?

DrCaveman
07-03-2013, 12:13 AM
I went the cheaper route, the shooting chrony f-1. I know not much help but for $80 plus shared shipping, it has given me a lot of useful information with a mere click of the thumb and jot into my notebook.

Shooting chrony had other models with accessories like you mention. Id recommend them based on my experience with this unit's function and value.

MaineJim
07-03-2013, 05:32 AM
I ve had a Chrony Beta model for almost 20 years with no problems and it was under 100 bucks,bet still is.

ftut
07-03-2013, 05:40 AM
I got one several years ago from Competition Electronics. It's held up well and is printer capable.

Beagle333
07-03-2013, 05:48 AM
$82 shipped. I got one traveling in the mail now. If it ever quits raining, I'll let you know how it does. :coffee:
http://www.amazon.com/Shooting-Chrony-F-1-Chronograph-green/dp/B001BR3364/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372844763&sr=8-1&keywords=f1+shooting+chrony

dudel
07-03-2013, 06:34 AM
I really like my CED. Best part is if I miss, I only hit the screens; not the electronics.

Alchemist
07-03-2013, 06:59 AM
Oehler 35P is a great unit, and currently available. I know it will be more than your stated budget, but it has two channels and built-in printer. Also has separate screens, so you don't vaporize your main unit. Trust me, it will happen.

Oehler is also located down there in Texas. :smile:

41 mag fan
07-03-2013, 07:40 AM
Think I got a F1 still NIB, from about a year and a few months ago.
I've been meaning to get it out, and just haven't yet.

Shiloh
07-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Chrony Beta has served me well for years now. It is the next one up from the Chrony F-1.

http://www.amazon.com/Shooting-Chrony-Beta-Chronograph-blue/dp/B001BR1RO4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1372853247&sr=8-8&keywords=chrony+chronograph
Free Shipping

Shiloh

Larry Gibson
07-03-2013, 08:48 AM
+1 for the Oehler M35P. It comes with case, stands.....everything you need with nothing else to jury rig or buy. As mentioned the Skyscreens are easily replaceable when you shoot them. You can buy individual parts if the sensor and cables aren't broke and simply rebuild them also.

Larry Gibson

milkman
07-03-2013, 09:08 AM
I have gotten excellent service for close to 8 years from my Chrony. i would strongly suggest that if you shoot gas checked boolits you invest in the clear plastic shields for the electronics. Loose checks will ding the display and then you have to say Shucky Poo!!
Milkman

Wal'
07-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Chrony's seem to be the first choice world wide, cheap & replaceable when shot ............ I'm on my second unit. :cry:

plainsman456
07-03-2013, 10:55 AM
I have killed 2 and mounted them on the wall,the ones that you shoot through screens over the eyes.

I was sent an e-mail about a chronograph that is an acoustic one.
You set it on the ground down range and shoot over it.
Have not pulled the trigger yet but i kind of like the idea.

NoZombies
07-03-2013, 12:34 PM
I've had "shooting chrony" brand, and an old Oehler. The name "shooting crony" is apt, because you will shoot it.

The Oehler is an excellent unit, and highly regarded. They are expensive, but you won't have to replace the head unit. The accuracy is better, especially if you set the screen over a 48" span, and the customer service is good.

aya
07-03-2013, 05:17 PM
+1 for the Oehler. I still use my model 33 Chronotach, bought around 1980! No problems during all those years.

Sensai
07-03-2013, 05:54 PM
I have a Chrony Beta Master, but I don't use it much since I got the Magnetospeed. Take a look before you buy anything else. It has to be the most convenient chronograph there is, and it's accurate, reliable and not bothered by light conditions.

barrybrice
07-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Cheap Chrony is the way to go. You will eventually shoot it or your friend who you loan it to will for you!

Mal Paso
07-03-2013, 06:37 PM
+1 for the Oehler M35P. It comes with case, stands.....everything you need with nothing else to jury rig or buy. As mentioned the Skyscreens are easily replaceable when you shoot them. You can buy individual parts if the sensor and cables aren't broke and simply rebuild them also.
Larry Gibson

You have no sense of Duct Tape. [smilie=l:

alamogunr
07-03-2013, 07:20 PM
To me the best compromise between a cheap Chrony and an expensive Oehler is the CED M2(http://www.shootingsoftware.com/chronographs.htm). That is the one I have and I have been very satisfied. I can't say I use it every time I go to the range though.

I have shot one of the wings that holds the diffusers though, actually I just "winged" it(pun intended). It still works and replacements are available.

BCB
07-03-2013, 08:55 PM
I purchased one of the Chrony's when they first came out years ago--I don't remember when that was though...

Still going strong. I built some diffusers for mine as the others got nicked a time or two--especially with shotgun shooting...

A couple of pieces of 1/8" rod stuck in the holes where the factory ones went and a bit of semi-clear heavy plastic over the top--milk jugs are near the correct color and allow enough light to cause the shadow...

I am going to trade it back to Chrony and get a better model...

That's all I have ever had and it is accurate as far as I can tell...

Good-luck...BCB

Larry Gibson
07-03-2013, 09:07 PM
You have no sense of Duct Tape. [smilie=l:

You obviously have not seen my screens.........:drinks:

Larry Gibson

NoZombies
07-04-2013, 02:00 AM
I purchased one of the Chrony's when they first came out years ago--I don't remember when that was though...

Still going strong. I built some diffusers for mine as the others got nicked a time or two--especially with shotgun shooting...

A couple of pieces of 1/8" rod stuck in the holes where the factory ones went and a bit of semi-clear heavy plastic over the top--milk jugs are near the correct color and allow enough light to cause the shadow...

I am going to trade it back to Chrony and get a better model...

That's all I have ever had and it is accurate as far as I can tell...

Good-luck...BCB

Before I got my Oehler, I was using the cheap chrony. I managed to hit one of the rods, and it bent up pretty bad, and also about tore the "eye" piece apart. I realized that even a winging shot could destroy the thing, so I started using bamboo skewers as my uprights. If you hit the bamboo, it just goes away, and leaves everything else intact.

I still prefer the Oehler. You can occasionally get a deal on a used unit. I did.

GabbyM
07-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Been using my Chrony since the things were new decades ago.
Think I'll start using the bamboo skewers though. Good idea.

How long would a printer stay in service before the ink dried out? Pencil and notebook, which you need for notes anyway, works for me.

Mal Paso
07-04-2013, 11:26 AM
How long would a printer stay in service before the ink dried out? Pencil and notebook, which you need for notes anyway, works for me.

The printer I saw was Thermal - No Ink. I use a Chrony Beta Master and write it down too.

GabbyM
07-05-2013, 01:45 AM
The printer I saw was Thermal - No Ink. I use a Chrony Beta Master and write it down too.

Thermal printing. Gee never heard of that. Next thing you know some guy will fly to the moon and back.

uscra112
07-05-2013, 02:23 AM
Another long-time Chrony Beta user here. Who also uses bamboo skewers. Hadn't thought of cutting up milk jugs for screens, though. I've never shot my Chrony, but the OEM screens finally cracked and broke from old age. That's the worst thing I can say about it.

Bottom line is: I can't afford anything more expensive, but if I could I'd just buy a backup Chrony.