PDA

View Full Version : 19 Firefighters killed in line of duty - Yarnell, AZ.

marlin39a
07-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Heard last evening, and was confirmed on news. 19 Prescott Hot Shot fighfighters killed in wildfire in Yarnell. Hits close to home for me. I live about 40 miles east of Yarnell. Closer still because I worked across the street from their station in Prescott. I never met a one, but often saw them outside the building. I'm sure I will know some of the faces. I know Yarnell as well. I worked out of there last Winter, and traveled that windy Hwy 89 down the hill to Wickenburg. Yarnell is best described as "Mayberry Like". Everybody knows each other. A small town with a Main Street about a half mile long with small stores. You enter quick, and you are out as quickly. I fear life will never be the same there. I await news on the safety of the residents in harms way. A terrible tragedy for not only Yarnell, but the Country itself.

TXGunNut
07-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Yes, very big loss for the first responder and local community. I hear these were the elite as far as brush fires go, even taught their techniques to others. Just goes to prove that sometimes things just go wrong, very wrong, even when you do everything right.

MtGun44
07-02-2013, 12:29 AM
VERY sad to hear of their loss. Brave men, going into the fire country with hand tools and
a lot of guts. Hard to imagine how they got trapped. I never have been close to a big
fire like that, hope to never be, don't think I can really appreciate the speed that these
things apparently can move.

Bill

khmer6
07-02-2013, 12:32 AM
This was our second of the year. The doce fire not far by. Really sad that they were elite, nearly wiped out the whole platoon. Hopefully there won't be anymore serious fires. All the grills and camp fires have been on ban

DCP
07-02-2013, 08:09 AM
The Hotshot's Prayer

When I am called to duty, Lord
To fight the roaring blaze,
Please keep me safe and strong
I may be here for days.

Be with my fellow crewmembers,
as we hike up to the top.
Help us cut enough line,
For this blaze to stop.

Let my skills and hands
be firm and quick.
Let me find those safety zones,
as we hit and lick.

For if this day on the line,
I should lose my life,
Lord, bless my Hotshot Crew,
my children and my WIFE.

~~ Patricia Huston, IHC Wife ~~
copywright October 2002

smoked turkey
07-02-2013, 11:13 AM
One of the most tragic losses we have had among our brave men and women of our first responders. Prayers and thoughts go out to the families and the community.

gray wolf
07-02-2013, 04:44 PM
THIS--was one horrible happening, as a volunteer I had some close calls,
But I just can't fathom this. Very sad indeed.

montana_charlie
07-06-2013, 12:14 PM
If this article is to be believed, that fire was a mini-9/11 in which the forces of Islam killed some more Americans.
http://www.wnd.com/2013/07/jihadists-claim-credit-for-arizona-fires/

CM

DCP
07-06-2013, 12:40 PM
If this article is to be believed, that fire was a mini-9/11 in which the forces of Islam killed some more Americans.
http://www.wnd.com/2013/07/jihadists-claim-credit-for-arizona-fires/

CM

Yarnell Hill Fire

A wildfire burns homes in Yarnell, Ariz. on Sunday, June 30, 2013. An Arizona fire chief says the wildfire that killed 19 members of his crew near the town was moving fast and fueled by hot, dry conditions. The fire started with a lightning strike on Friday and spread to 2,000 acres on Sunday amid triple-digit temperatures. (AP Photo/The Arizona Republic, David Kadlubowski)

Idz
07-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Its quite chilling to re-watch the 2013 fireline refresher on Watchout Situations and see the similarities with Yarnell. The module ends with a miraculous escape which Yarnell sadly didn't copy.
Firefighters are placed in the impossible situation of strictly complying with the Standing Fire Orders and Watchout Situations or fighting the fire. The investigation will list the things the crew did wrong and 'rules' they violated and absolve the bureaucrats of any blame. But please remember the bureaucrats put enormous pressure on the crews to get the job done but don't spend any money, oh... and by the way follow all the rules too.

Pray for the fallen and their families.