PDA

View Full Version : Lee "soup can" success.......Finally!

Joel Chavez
09-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Well, it seems that my troubles with my boy's 30/30 wasn't the gun after all. A forum member, Centex Bill loaned me his Lee soup can mould a few weeks ago and while I liked the design of the boolet it just wouldn't shoot worth a hoot. I was using 8.5gr of Unique with large rifle primers sized at .309 with a OAL of 2.30. Well, the groups were like a shotgun pattern. Before giving up, again, Centex Bill came through for me. He loaned me a .311 sizing die and what will you know, the shotgun pattern became a .50 MOA at 50yds!!!! I had slugged the barrel and it came out at .308 exactly. I would've thought the .309 sized boolits should've worked. I was wrong. :-? Now, I have in my position a mould for the SKS boolets. I'm going to size them at .311 and see what they do. Oh, by the way, I ran out of LR primers so I subed them with LP primers. I've noticed no difference in accuracy one bit. I'm now using 7gr of Unique with better results. Thanks for your help and insight. Later.:castmine:

MT Gianni
10-01-2007, 09:38 AM
Joel, Mike your sized bullets to make sure that the die is actually .309 not just labelled such. Gianni

Buckshot
10-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Joel, Mike your sized bullets to make sure that the die is actually .309 not just labelled such. Gianni

...........That's right. A bit of paranoia isn't really a bad thing :-)

............Buckshot

Joel Chavez
10-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks guys. I did mike the die and boolits to make sure the die was correct. It was exactly .309 on the money. I guess the gun just didn't like them, but that's ok with me since we(boy and I) figured out the .311 sized boolits were the bomb in this gun. :-D I've got the 7.62x39 group mould I'm going to cast here in the next few days. I need to finish some of my "honey do" list items first before mama will let me play some more.[smilie=1: Any of you willing to mow grass, clean, vac and shock a pool, wash two dogs, clean out the storage shed, wash a truck, take out the trash, vac the carpet, etc. etc. etc? Oh, by the way, LSU (almal mater) is ranked NUMERO UNO in CFB:mrgreen: Tiger bait.:twisted:

35remington
10-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Joel, oftentimes sizing to fit the throat works better than sizing to fit the barrel. You've just reproved the point.

Now, many .30-30's are throatless and yours may be too, but I've found that an oversized bullet is also helpful in these types of chambers. Sometimes the largest sized diameter that will safely chamber is just what the accuracy doctor ordered.