PDA

View Full Version : What's up with kids and noses?

Sweetpea
06-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Sitting here in the ER, my little girl shoved a bead up her nose.

Tried tweezers and bulb syringe, also turkey baster. No dice.

Anybody know why kids stuck things up there?

I can understand a digital exam every now and then, but foreign objects?

Brandon

texassako
06-30-2013, 11:24 PM
At least it was not a Red Hots candy. One of the few lasting memories from my early childhood.

06-30-2013, 11:29 PM
Hmmm...I wasn't the only inquisitive kid.

btroj
06-30-2013, 11:30 PM
Nothing new. Kids stick things in places they don't belong.

Sweetpea
07-01-2013, 12:35 AM
Hmm...

Very technical operation...

Close off the open nostril, and a good firm breath into her mouth, and it popped right out.

Gonna have to remember that one!

Brandon

country gent
07-01-2013, 12:52 AM
Be glad it was a bead my brother years ago put a soybean inhis nose and it sprouted from the warm moist enviroment. Was a Doc to get it out then.

phonejack
07-01-2013, 12:59 AM
Coffee bean for me.

Bzcraig
07-01-2013, 01:55 AM
Hmm...

Close off the open nostril, and a good firm breath into her mouth, and it popped right out.

Brandon

After you saw those technical skills at work did you think, "dang, I should have been a doctor?" Or was it "you learned that in med school?"

DLCTEX
07-01-2013, 09:46 AM
I took one boy to the ER with a BB in his arm. The Dr. cut into his arm to remove the BB and couldn't keep a grip on the BB to remove it with forceps. He was asking if anyone had a magnet when I turned the kid's arm over and let gravity remove it. He said you don't learn everything in med school.

shredder
07-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Hmm...

Brandon

Ha HA HA! Very nice. I was immensely cheered up by this, having raised a couple of kids of my own. Ain't life grand? Now you have some great stories for the wedding!

dakotashooter2
07-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Shop Vac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

km101
07-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Similar situation about 25 years ago with a 6 yr old and a green bean. The ER doc just laughed and said, "There must be something in the air! This is the 3rd child with something in their nose that I have seen today." There is nothing new under the sun!

Dale in Louisiana
07-01-2013, 01:35 PM
One did a green bean. Another managed one of those foam earplugs.

That earplug was detected when kiddo started smelling really bad. A pair of hemostats sufficed to remove it.

dale in Louisiana

runfiverun
07-01-2013, 01:41 PM
I am a couple of years older than my little brother.
we got to wrestling around one night when the parents were out and I finally got him down enough to stick popcorn kernels up his nose, just about the time my mom and dad pulled in the driveway.

somehow we managed to clean up the mess from the fight and extract the popcorn from his nose in the 15' walk to our front door from the driveway.
I think it was the best coordinated act of avoiding a belt ever pulled off in the history of childhood.

Jailer
07-01-2013, 03:31 PM
One did a green bean. Another managed one of those foam earplugs.

That earplug was detected when kiddo started smelling really bad. A pair of hemostats sufficed to remove it.

dale in Louisiana

Same thing happened with a friend of mine only it was a crayon. She was stinking like crazy and took her to the doc and they figured it had been there for at least a week or so.

snuffy
07-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Unrelated to kids, but I had a drunk fall asleep in my cab once when I used to drive part time. He would NOT wake up!:( I had to drive him to the cop-shop for them to do something. The officer simply put one hand over his mouth, the other one he pinched his nose closed. He woke up real quick![smilie=w: I guess feeling like you're suffocating will bring anybody around.

I took him home, he fell asleep again. I used the trick to wake him up, get my double fare + a big tip, and out of the cab!

10-x
07-02-2013, 07:25 PM
I probably shouldn't tell this on my wife......but she admitted and her cousin confirmed(with much laughter) that my wife stuck chewing gum up her nose when she was about 5, on a bet. Had to go to the country Dr. to get it out,this was about 1956. No ,I never mention it!!!!!!

canyon-ghost
07-02-2013, 08:30 PM
They can slide a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in a VCR too. You find out a tape won't go in the door later.