PDA

View Full Version : Lachmiller / Lyman top punch numbers??

James Wisner
08-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Is there someone who watches this forum, who knows which Lachmiller top punch numbers are the same as Lyman numbers.

The current RCBS numbers are based upon the Lachmiller numbers BUT NOBODY KNOWS which if any are interchangeable with the Lyman top punch shapes.

If push comes to shove then I guess I will have to make my own.

Regards.
Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Scrounger
08-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Is there someone who watches this forum, who knows which Lachmiller top punch numbers are the same as Lyman numbers.

The current RCBS numbers are based upon the Lachmiller numbers BUT NOBODY KNOWS which if any are interchangeable with the Lyman top punch shapes.

Regards.
Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Floodgate knows all, James. I'm sure he'll get back to you when he reads your question.

floodgate
08-16-2005, 03:43 PM

Regards.
Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Jim, Scrounger, Sundog:

I'm sorry to say that while I have a good listing of the Ideal / Lyman top punch vs. bullet numbers, I have nothing on the Lachmiller / RCBS ones. I suggest you call RCBS Customer Service and see if they can help. If they can, it would be worth posting on CASTPICS. I've offered my Ideal list to Sundog, but haven't heard back yet.

Floodgate

floodgate
08-16-2005, 03:48 PM
Jim:

"If push comes to shove then I guess I will have to make my own [RCBS top punches]."

Actually, that's the best idea. Since the nose shapes are so variable from production run to run, you could make up about five each in the general caliber groups, using a 15* half-angle taper reamer (I got a carbide one from MSC), ball-end mills in 3/16 through 1/2" diameter, and free-hand turn a few flat ones with a lip for the SWC's. These would fit just about anything you might run across.

Floodgate

James Wisner
08-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Thanks Floodgate.

This was a last try before I crank up the CNC lathe and make some blank top punches.

I tried Fred and Buzz Huntington, they did not know either.
Talked to RCBS tech, they did not know either. The one person who would have known, retired from RCBS two years ago.

I have quite a few obsolete Lyman molds that I can not find top punches for. Plus two Old West molds, that are 20 plus years old now. All minus the top punches that were lost when we moved Dad's reloading bench about 12 years ago.

So I will custom fit my top punches to each bullet shape, and mark for each mold. And hopefully they will never get lost again.

Many thanks for trying.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

floodgate
08-17-2005, 12:37 AM
Jim:

"I have quite a few obsolete Lyman molds that I can not find top punches for."

PM me with the Ideal / Lyman mould numbers and I'll see if I can match them up with the right top punches. A good chance to exercise my registry.

floodgate