PDA

View Full Version : 8, 15, 25 yard 9mm

birdadly
06-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Hi everyone. I just realized I'm done playing around and wish to find the most accurate loads for my firearms, not ones that just simply go bang.

9mm Springfield Armory XD is the firearm selection today. This was my first firearm, it's what got me into the hobby of shooting 7 years ago. 5 years later I started casting/reloading.

I've sent about 1,300 rounds of casted lead thru this firearm and have tried: Unique, BlueDot, Bullseye, WSF and PowerPistol powders. My only mold is Mihecs 140 (flat nose?). BlueDot and Bullseye worked well but I only tested those once because I've had good results with PowerPistol and so I bought a 4lb jug of it...

The picture here is my current load of 4.5 grains of PowerPistol. I only shoot for fun, but would like the best rounds possible of course. The shots fired in the picture are with the gun resting on a wooden block (with carpet on top). No brace or anything, just me holding the gun, resting on the wood.

My main question is this, are "good" loads usually good at any distance? Or might a person have a load for 8-15 yards and a different one for 25 yards, etc.? I ask this because I was ecstatic about the 8 and 15 yard shots... then very disappointed at the 25 yarders.

This process was with a nicely cleaned gun. Then shot 5 at 8 yards, wait about 10 minutes (for cease fire), then 5 shots at 15 yards, then another 10 minutes.. and then 5 at 25 yards (x2).

Thank you for any and all input!!! -Brad

runfiverun
06-29-2013, 08:57 PM
stop shooting at the closer distances.

MtGun44
06-29-2013, 09:46 PM
All ammo shoots well at 7 yds. Basically, it tells you nothing. Not worth
doing ifyou are trying to develop a load. I never test at shorter than 25 yds.

Bill

Case Stuffer
06-29-2013, 09:55 PM
9mm Springfield Armory XD is the firearm selection today.

And the barrel length is ?
Stock or modified trigger?
Model?

I have the XD Sub Compact with 3" barrel and stock trigger. IMO it is not a very accurate 25 yard pistol . It was designed for self defense which is 99% of the time at 7 yards or less.

Jupiter7
06-29-2013, 10:54 PM
No offense intended, but take yourself out of equation. Get a rest. Most shooters are humbled after trying 25yd shooting. Practice alot at 25yds, it'll come together assuming proper technique.

birdadly
06-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks a bunch fellas. No offense taken from anyone for certain. I guess it comes down to the fact that for the past 2 years I've just been having fun starting up this hobby... from collecting guns, lead, components, equipment and knowledge (98% from you folks here), to learning the ropes of reloading, finding the excitement of shooting what I make and every now and then hitting the bullseye :)

So perhaps it took me 2 years to get to the next stage, an accurate load. So my readings of how to get started and how to fix the minor errors of my ways got me this far. And now I will concentrate on getting the best load readings. One part now excepted... shoot at 25 yards for testing! I can do that for sure. And get a rest. I do have one for rifle, but will find a nice one for pistol.

I suppose I shoot a lot at 8 yards often because I started loading/casting for a 3" 45 and I like to shoot it that short. But this 9mm is a normal XD, 4" I believe, stock everything, so it'd be nice to shoot longer.

Off to the range with a couple friends. No 9mm in toe for now :) 45's, .22 LRs, and shotgun for today.

Please feel free to comment more as I love reading here; like I said, most of my knowledge on this stuff comes directly from you all. Thanks so much. -Brad

dverna
06-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Before blaming the cast bullets shoot a group at 25 yards using factory ammo. It should come in at about 3-4". If the factory ammo is a pattern, it is likely you. The other approach is to get a shooter with know ability to shoot your gun off a rest.

Almost any load will group at 7 yards.

You are on a journey. Nothing wrong with that. When I competed we tested using a Ransom rest at 50 yards. Once you have an accurate load at 50 yards, you are done. To me, that is maximum pistol range but I do not shoot hand cannons.

KYCaster
06-30-2013, 10:33 PM
If it was easy anybody could do it! :wink:

Accuracy with a handgun certainly isn't easy, but there are some things you can do to make it much simpler.

Compare your 7 yd. group with your 15 yd. group. The distance is a bit more than double, but the group size increased by a factor of 4. Same with the 25 yd. group. The increase in the group size is out of proportion to the increase in distance.

Why is that???

It may be as simple as the size of the target you're using. Your best results will be with a target that appears to be the same width as your front sight. For instance if the front sight is .050 wide and the sight radius is 6 in. then at 7 yds. a 2 in. dot will appear to be nearly the same width as the front sight....4 in. dot at 15 yds.....8 in. dot at 25 yds. Simplifies sight alignment quite a bit.

A proper rest is very important. I find it much easier to get good results using firm sand bags rather than hard rests. Elbows should rest on the bench...they'll take a beating, especially with heavy recoiling guns so padding is necessary (soft sand bags, foam rubber, folded towels, etc.). Wrists supported on bags. Front bag should be firm and heavy enough to resist some forward pressure.

Get your best two hand grip on the gun....same as you would for standing unsupported. Push the knuckles of your support hand into the front bag and rest your wrists on the rear bags. Other than slight contact at the trigger guard, the gun should not touch the bags or the bench....it should be supported only by your hands and free to recoil just as if you were shooting from standing position.

Bench technique has been discussed here before so you should be able to find several methods described. This works pretty well for me...seems to relate very well to various field positions.

Good luck.
Jerry

Oh, I almost forgot....DON'T, under any circumstances, curl your pinkie under the butt of the gun, especially with SA revolvers....recoil will mash it against the bench....OUCH!!!

I've NEVER done that MYSELF....it's just what I've been told. [smilie=1: