PDA

View Full Version : New glasses are being a pain

country gent
06-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Got my new glasses today, knew I needed a new set as reading road sighns and such was becoming hard. Monday had the eye exam and Doc told me I was getting my first set of bifocals. What a time Im having getting used to them having to hunt for the lense I need for the task at hand. Im hoping it dosnt take to long to get used to them and figure them out. New Perscriptions are great its just getting the one I want when I need it LOL.

wch
06-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Give yourself 72 hours to get used to them and likely you won't have a problem; just be careful with steps!

jcwit
06-28-2013, 09:17 PM
I got bi-focals a few years ago and they were no problem at all even from the start. You'll get used to them quickly.

Bzcraig
06-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Bifocals were also easy for me, it was the progressives that gave me fits. After two years of trying to get used to them I gave up and went back to bifocals.

btroj
06-28-2013, 09:24 PM
I am looking at bifocals for my next glasses. I need distance correction and am at a point where I can no longer use the glasses for reading. I can take them off but it is a pain to find a place to put em.

bayjoe
06-28-2013, 09:35 PM
I'd rather break in new glasses than a new hat

06-28-2013, 10:37 PM
It'll take a while to learn where to aim your head.

MT Gianni
06-29-2013, 12:10 AM
It took me almost 10 days with progressives. I finally got smart and went back to a large bifocal for shooting.

Idaho Mule
06-29-2013, 12:21 AM
It ain't easy, but after awhile you can finally see good 'nuff to shoot. JW

bruce drake
06-29-2013, 12:31 AM
tilting your head to read will soon become second nature.

Bruce

winelover
06-29-2013, 07:33 AM
It took me almost 10 days with progressives.

My Dr. told me it would probably take two weeks to make the transition. I did it in one day. Would never go back to bi-focals.
Open sights on handguns is the main reason. For me, the line in the bi-focal interferes with the sight picture. Not the case with progressives. What I don't care for is that with glasses, I loose my night vision more quickly in the woods. The last half hour of shooting light, I just remove them. YMMV

Winelover

imashooter2
06-29-2013, 07:51 AM
I've worn glasses since I was 4 years old. I have grooves in my skull from the temples I've worn them so long. When I got my first pair of progressives, I was heart broken. I'm a golfer and an action shooter and I was sure my games were finished. There was no way I would ever be able to follow a golf ball or make a quick focus on pistol sights ever again.

But the brain is an amazing thing. After a month, the head automatically positioned itself to get focus and my shooting is better now than it had been in years.

Keep your chin up (see what I did there?), your brain will figure it out and you'll be back on the sights in no time. 8-)

dale2242
06-29-2013, 08:37 AM
I have worn glasses since 1957. I am 70 yrs old now.
Progressives are the only way to go in my opinion.

Having worn glasses so long may have helped, but I had no trouble getting used to them.
I have changed prescriptions many times in my life and it ALWAYS threw my depth perception off until my brain adapted.
I know our brains react differently to things, but I think we can all adapt if we give our brain time to do so.
Just be thankful we can still see.....dale

TXGunNut
06-29-2013, 09:01 AM
First several days were tough for me, even got dizzy a time or two. Correction for astigmatism takes some getting used to as well. I'm still looking for a Rx that will let me shoot iron sights past 50 yds, maybe we'll pull it off this time. Hope you'll make the transition better than I did. Just let your brain figure it out, all you have to do is watch the steps, as wch pointed out.

blackthorn
06-29-2013, 09:46 AM
With respect to the tripping on stairs, when I was the Health and Saftey officer for my local Union, we had many complaints of folks tripping on the metal staircases in various mills. We found that painting a bright yellow line on the leading edge of each tread almost completely eliminated that type of hazzard.

country gent
06-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Well after yesterday today is a little better so far. Im learning to raise and lower head not eyes. One problem is that all my alertness training has taught me to keep head erest and turning to be aware of whats going on around me. Now Im relearning to lower head to see. LOL. Tommrow will be the real test as Im taking the Hepburn out with loads to retest from last week. Soule tang rear and front globe with appeture. Looked thru them this morning and way "cleaner" sight picture. With the distance perscription I can actually see a clean front appeture now. The one load had 3 fliers ( still in the 10 ring) and 6 shots in 2 3/8" ( widest 2 shots) at 200 yds. I can read and see today but TV and some tasks are giving me fits yet. Reading mikes is one. Doing fine work and fitting is another.

Ohio Rusty
06-29-2013, 01:17 PM
I had ended up with the progressive lenses as I needed to see up close, the computer, dashboard and out to arms length, then to infinity. All that was fine until a year ago my Dr. said I had cataracts forming. They progressed fast !! I have't been able to shoot or anything for almost three months. 2 weeks ago I got the first cataract out of my right eye (dominate eye) and a new lens implant put in. The difference is amazing !!
First time I could go without glasses in almost 45 years (I have a contact lens in the left eye for now). Middle of next month I get the other cataract out. Then the glasses curse will be over .... (except for the need for reading glasses for up close)
Ohio Rusty ><>

MT Gianni
06-29-2013, 02:05 PM
My Dr. told me it would probably take two weeks to make the transition. I did it in one day. Would never go back to bi-focals.
Open sights on handguns is the main reason. For me, the line in the bi-focal interferes with the sight picture. Not the case with progressives. What I don't care for is that with glasses, I loose my night vision more quickly in the woods. The last half hour of shooting light, I just remove them. YMMV

Winelover
Winelover, I like them as I put the line between the front sight and the target. A slight move shows me I am still on target then I am back to a crisp front sight.

Duckiller
06-29-2013, 04:36 PM
Ohio Rusty beware! I too was near sighted for many years. Catarac developed in right eye(dominate) and had it removed. Dr. put in a distance lens. Went around for several years seeing distanct with my right eye and reading with my left eye. Had left eye catarac removed this spring. Now I NEED glasses to read anything, tell time, fill out a lottery ticket, write a note and do anything else up close. My Dr. said he could put a slightly near sighted lens in my left eye. I declined. I would have a very serious discussion on lens selection with your Dr. before they surgery. It is a little frustrating not being able to do anything up close without glasses. Driving without glasses is fun.

imashooter2
06-29-2013, 05:15 PM
I'm very nearsighted, but have always considered it a blessing that I can function around the house without glasses if I have to. Having a serious farsighted condition must be almost as bad as being blind. You need your glasses to find your glasses!