PDA

View Full Version : Bored One's daughter at the range

1Shirt
06-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Went to the range Wed with Bored One, and his 9 year old daughter. She is just a little thing. Always enjoy seeing a youngster who enjoys being with her father and enjoying shooting. She has a little "pink" 22 Rossi rifle that she shoots pretty well. I took a little 22 Derringer out for her to try, and she actually hit a pop can with it at about 10 feet. Think that tickled me about as much as it did her! I started my daughter out at about age 7, and Btroj started my grand daughter out at about that age. The future of shooting sports rests in and with the young. Taking kids to the range and having them learn shooting and safety with weapons helps insure the future of shooting.
1Shirt!:brokenima

popper
06-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Loved to see the GS start shooting. Very serious at the line, shoots, sets it down, turns around and does a little dance.

firefly1957
06-28-2013, 07:17 PM
I think that was about the age my daughter was shooting my S&W model 17 22 R.F. about the only thing she wished to shoot.

Bored1
06-29-2013, 10:36 PM
It was a BLAST to go to the range with 1Shirt and my daughter! Watching the dynamic of the two of them was very interesting for me. It was also good to watch the instruction from another shooter to my daughter. Isn't there an old saying about more than 1 way to skin a cat? Well I learned along time ago that goes with teaching also, and I know a different perspective on the same idea can help someone grasp a concept and also reinforces the foundations of that idea that are already present.

I don't think I will forget that smile when she shot my new percussion 50 cal or hit that can anytime soon!!!!

Bad Water Bill
06-30-2013, 03:55 AM
For years our range held a beginners shoot.

I will never forget the 4 year old that came over with her grandfather ,"can I shoot one sir? That smile will last me for many more years.

The two 70+ young ladies that wanted to shoot for the first time because all of our kids and grand kids do. No one EVER thought these WOMEN might enjoy shooting.:bigsmyl2:

Or the 50 + lady that was terrified of pistols. She stood there for at least 5 minutes literally trembling, "It is me and only I can and will overcome the fear. Again the smile when she finally fired that first shot will never be forgotten.

There are many folks that have never handled a firearm. Find one and be patient but you will never forget their smile. Take one to the range at least once a month.

Cosmiceyes
06-30-2013, 04:52 AM
Took my daughter,and sons,and they are still shooting. Waiting on them to have Grand-babies! :)'s
Us on the bench at the range in Va. She likes putting holes in cans on a string. :)'s

Echo
06-30-2013, 07:41 PM
I took my GF out and taught her safety, operation, &cetera. She is 76 years young, and Jewish, and had not only never shot a gun, but hardly knew anyone who had, other than her previous hubbys. She gets such a kick out of shooting the Ruger LCR (she has some health issues, and couldn't handle a heavier pistol). Manages to keep them on the target at 5 yards, and is tickled spitless. She comments that her GF's from back home have fits when she tells them of the fun she is having. You never saw anyone more proud, when she manages to put one in the black!

Bad Water Bill
06-30-2013, 10:40 PM
"Or the 50 + lady that was terrified of pistols. She stood there for at least 5 minutes literally trembling, "It is me and only I can and will overcome the fear. Again the smile when she finally fired that first shot will never be forgotten."

Isn't that smile great. After she overcame her fear she loaded up the old Sears 9 shot and sent 9 down range with the smile getting bigger with each BANG

Good on you sir.

freebullet
07-01-2013, 01:10 AM
Sounds like you guys had a blast. Glad to hear ya got to shoot that new smokepole. When I get to see"that smile" on a youngster or new shooter it warms my heart. It's the only way to really restore our country, our constitution, & our traditions. I can't help but think of all those smiles through the years, they are priceless memories. Sometimes they even surprise you. I took a friend's son to the range, whom had solid shooting experience already at age 16. The wild card was we were to introduce his 16yr old gf to high powers in preperation for her first deer hunt. She did great, shot everything with a smile. 223,270,308- no problem. Our last task was to sight in a 7mm REM mag for the boys father, or at least get it on paper for him. That little 16 year old girl who I don't think weighed a hunerd pounds soakin wet not only fired that magnum she fired it repeatedly, accurately, & gleefully. She fired that thing more times than I was willing to. She also went on to harvest her first deer. She came from a family who doesn't hunt & had never taken her shooting. I couldn't be more proud to be even a small part of helping someone learn what fun our shooting traditions are.