PDA

View Full Version : Speedcasting results

David R
08-15-2005, 01:45 PM
I have read BruceB's article on speedcasting. I tried it s couple of times and now I am a believer. I used to use 2 or 3 molds rotataing them as the sprue cooled. I read the article and tried it. I never has such control over the temp of the mold. It used to be when the boolits were good'n frosty, I would leave the mold open and work with the other two until I thought it had cooled down. Now I can maintain an even mold temp no matter how fast I pour em.

First real test, 2 cavity 150 grain 30 cal 311466. 394 boolits in thirty minutes.

Second test, 2 cavity 45 cal Lyman 255 grain mold. 250 boolits in 30 minutes.

Third test, 2 cavity Lyman 22 cal 45 grain. 349 boolits in 30 minutes. ( I must have dropped one on the floor)

Last test, my group buy mold. 6 cavity C30-150 2R. 534 Boolits in Thirty minutes. This completly emptied my RCBS bottom pour promelt 20 lb pot.

In all instances I took the time to touch some boolit lube to the sprue hinge pin and smoke the mold after I had poured a few. All tests were started with a cold mold and totally full pot of lead. Rejects were counted as poured. In the case with the 22 cal mold, I threw back the first 20.

I did find with the 6 cavity aluminum mold I could get the mold too cold on top. The base of the boolit was not filled out completly as if the mold never warmed up. I did the test over not cooling as much and their were about 30 to 40 rejects out of the 534.

I don't do this in a frenzy, I am not trying to set any records. My back can stand about 1/2 hour in front of the pot before it tells me to stop. This method is not for everyone, but it sure works for me.

BruceB, you are my cast boolit hero today :)

BruceB
08-15-2005, 04:38 PM
"BruceB, you are my cast boolit hero today."

(BruceB blushes and scuffs toe in dust)

David;

Well, I'm sure glad it's working well for you. I'm forever seeing guys writing about how they'd cast, alright, except it takes them all day to come up with one or two hundred bullets (or LESS!).

As usual, modifications are put in place by every individual who ever attempts fairly-complex tasks, and you are no exception, mostly because your back just isn't up to it. I'd certainly say that you're putting the limited "back-stamina-time" you have, to VERY good use.

My routine as put forth in the article is geared to several hours' production at a sitting, hence the emphasis on alloy management, pre-heating of ingots, etc. I use a certain amount of time juggling these items, and as a result my production rates are a good bit lower than yours.

Your remarks on the Lee 6-cavity mould are very valuable. I've never had the use of one of these, and was wondering how (or if) it would work for fast casting, due to the rapid heat loss in such a large block of aluminum. The 2-cavity Lees work as well as anything else for my speedcasting, but I was curious about the big 'un.

Sure is fun, watching them pile up, isn't it???

45 2.1
08-15-2005, 04:46 PM
Your remarks on the Lee 6-cavity mould are very valuable. I've never had the use of one of these, and was wondering how (or if) it would work for fast casting, due to the rapid heat loss in such a large block of aluminum. The 2-cavity Lees work as well as anything else for my speedcasting, but I was curious about the big 'un.
Sure is fun, watching them pile up, isn't it???

Bruce-
I have close to 30 of those 6 cavity molds. THEY DON'T LOOSE HEAT VERY FAST. the big cavity ones need cooling and the 30 calibers run very well with just a fan on them. Try it. you'll like it.

moodyholler
08-15-2005, 04:53 PM
Can I ask where to find this article? Thanks, moodyholler

David R
08-15-2005, 05:04 PM
Top of this page in Red it says Check out the cast Boolit articles !

Have a Blast!

Buckshot
08-15-2005, 05:43 PM
...........David, don't hurt yourself dude :D! Remember, Bruce is aclimated and you don't wanna pull something, HA!

...................Buckshot

Scrollcutter
08-17-2005, 03:53 PM
Wow! You guys are casting, as fast, or maybe faster than I do with my MasterCaster.

!Very impressive!

Willbird
08-17-2005, 06:49 PM
For my 6 cavity molds and my furnace so far I have not had to quench the blocks much at all, just the sprue plate,

311-093-1R (takes awile to get hot enough to run right)
358-158-RF
401-175-TC

452-190-SWC
452-228-1R

311440 (ran it a little)
312-155-2R (untested)

maybe as I get some heavier ones I will have to start cooling the blocks. I figuire on pretty near 1000 per hour with the Lee 6 cavity. I did run some 31141 the other night for the first time hi-speed with that mold and it runs SWEET

Bill

David R
08-17-2005, 10:18 PM
A few things I have noticed.

By quenching or cooling the sprue right from the second pour, the mold gets hot faster because you are making more casts per minute.

By cooling the bottom of the mold and the sprue, sometimes the center band of my 255 Grain 45 colt mold gets too hot and doesn't fill out. I started hanging my wet towel off the side of the bench and I cool the front of the mold instead of the bottom. This cools better and seems to solve the center band problem.

The mold takes on an odd look from constant speedcasting. It comes off with a small plastic brush on my dremel tool or a fine wire brush.

I now have a 3 Lb coffee can of 255 grain 45 colt boolits, 2 one pound cans of my group buy C312-30-155 2R, One and a half coffee can of 311466, and 400 45 grain little teeny 22 cal boolits. All this last week or so. Guess what? I'm outa lead. Going on a wheel weight crusade next week.

Buckshot
08-18-2005, 02:35 AM
[QUOTE=David R]A few things I have noticed.
The mold takes on an odd look from constant speedcasting. It comes off with a small plastic brush on my dremel tool or a fine wire brush."

Use distilled water. Your water is evaporating and leaving the crud behind.

............Buckshot

David R
08-18-2005, 05:58 AM
Thanks Buckshot (again) You are right, we have High calcium water. The coffee it makes is so bad, I buy bottled water.

David

LAH
08-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Wow! You guys are casting, as fast, or maybe faster than I do with my MasterCaster.

!Very impressive!

A Master Caster can't keep up with hand moulds IMHO. I have two MC and have put tons of alloy through them over the last 4 years. While they are easy on the body, they're not fast. Doing the BruceB or using three or four of the 4 cavity moulds at once is quicker.

Tonto
08-18-2005, 03:02 PM
I cast mostly with multiple molds to help with the mold cooling issue, three works well, four if casting large bullets that heat up fast. The rhythm is comfortable and the pace not rushed so accidents are not encouraged. The mix of molds and their cooling behavior become somewhat instinctive and the biggest problem is where to drop the cooled bullets from the mould as room disappears fast. Two or three sessions starting with a pot full of alloy provides plenty of bullets in a short time...I can empty a LEE twenty pounder in an hour or less with the add-in of sprues throughout the session. I have run 2 6-cavity molds and the principle works the same. Some music in the background helps too. I don't like water near the casting operation, have tried water drop at times and believe that needs to be done during a slower and very careful session. This works for me with 22 caliber bullets all the way up to LEE shotgun slugs, single cavity, double and 6-cav styles....

Bret4207
08-18-2005, 04:51 PM
You wanna watch the boolits pile up, getchya a 1 pound Rowell ladle and the 6 cavity Lee moulds, or better a 10 cavity H+G. Even a bozo like me can make a pile of boolits PDQ!

LAH
08-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Welcome to the board Tonto.

Springfield
08-19-2005, 12:24 PM
I used to use 2 Lee 6 holers, but I tried the speedcasting method with 1 mould and I am sold on it. I can do 1100-1200 with the 2 mould method, and about 1000/ hour with the speedcasting, so it is a bit slower. But I feel I get better bullets as I can controol the heat of one mould better than 2. And it is so much simpler that I just enjoy casting that way better. I just don't feel as rushed as there is much less hand motion. Plus I don't have 2 of everything. Using 2 different moulds made things that much more difficult, now things are simple. I may try distilled water though, I was getting some discoloring on my sprue plate too.

David R
08-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Glad to hear people are trying it. I also find that I can pour so many with a 2 cavity Lyman mold, that the 6 cylinder models are not as important.

As I said before, its for me, not everyone, but everyone shoud try it.

David

Willbird
08-19-2005, 05:14 PM
I see a huge differance between a haavy saeco 4 cavity and a comparitively lighter lee 6 cavity............600 per hour with the 4 cav and 1000 with the Lee, and easier on the hands and arms

Bill