PDA

View Full Version : Lee Factory Crimp die - do I need to get sized bullets?

Triggernosis
06-27-2013, 04:11 PM
If I'm running all my .38 Spec. rounds through the Lee Factory Crimp Die. If I'm purchasing already cast bullets from someone else, do I need to have them sized first? The reason I ask is I know the FCD squishes the case a bullet down a bit on the way out.

AricTheRed
06-27-2013, 04:25 PM
You will want the boolits sized to what ever you need them at based on your bore/cylinder slug dimensions.

As far as the Lee FCD goes if the die is sizing your loaded cartridges and therefore your booits smaller than you need them you can "fix" the FCD by removing the carbide sizing ring...

lars1367
06-27-2013, 04:29 PM
Depending on the manufacture, they should already be sized and lubed when you buy them. I don't purchase a lot of cast boolits, usually make my own, but all the ones I've seen are lubed and sized. Keep in mind that sizing the projectile is more important to barrel fit than it is to casing fit. Although the FCD does size the casing to the projectile, it does not size the projectile to the barrel of your shootin' iron. Hence the reason for sizing the projectile.
-lars

ku4hx
06-27-2013, 04:29 PM
Hmmm ... I think what you really need to do is size your boolits to what works for you and then do what needs to be done to not have boolit seating negate what sizing you did or was already done at time of purchase.

For 38 Special, I use a light roll crimp and in this case I do it in the seating die. I've been known to use no crimp at all, but I like a tiny bit usually. For semi auto rounds, I think taper crimping in a separate operation is best. But for rather tame mid range 38 Special stuff I generally try and not over think it.

Triggernosis
06-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Thanks, gentlemen.

jonp
06-27-2013, 06:05 PM
I have a Kahr that was giving me fits. I thought it might be the boolit but after the advice of several of the fine people here I bought a Lyman Taper Crimp and use my RCBS Carbide Seat/TC to Seat only and crimp as a separate operation and voila! No more problems. $20 solved a lot of headaches. I seat the boolit and taper crimp until it passes the plunk test and leave it right there. Works wonders.

Maximumbob54
06-27-2013, 06:14 PM
If your die is tight enough to swage down your bullet by squeezing the case that much then you are either using some thick walled brass, using some really large sized bullets, or the two combined. I size all my .357 magnum bullets to .358 and use the FCD and mine are all fine. I tried to use the FCD on some fat 44 magnum bullets sized to .432 and they were swaged down a bit and you could feel it as it happened. But that's a lot larger than one would normally use so the FCD isn't used with them anymore. The FCD is only a problem when you don't know what you are doing, how it works, or when to use it. It makes a great crimp. Really though for all the magnum revolver loads you should search out a Ranch Dog FCD that is the special order version of the rifle collet type crimp die. Just be aware that I don't think it has enough adjustment in it for the special versions of the magnum loads.

MT Chambers
06-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Yup, don't worry about it, that crimp die will size the bullets for you.

jonp
06-27-2013, 08:47 PM
If your die is tight enough to swage down your bullet by squeezing the case that much then you are either using some thick walled brass, using some really large sized bullets, or the two combined. I size all my .357 magnum bullets to .358 and use the FCD and mine are all fine. I tried to use the FCD on some fat 44 magnum bullets sized to .432 and they were swaged down a bit and you could feel it as it happened. But that's a lot larger than one would normally use so the FCD isn't used with them anymore. The FCD is only a problem when you don't know what you are doing, how it works, or when to use it. It makes a great crimp. Really though for all the magnum revolver loads you should search out a Ranch Dog FCD that is the special order version of the rifle collet type crimp die. Just be aware that I don't think it has enough adjustment in it for the special versions of the magnum loads.
Is it just me or is the Winchester Brass very thick? I am finding it to be large.

MtGun44
06-27-2013, 09:03 PM
LOL! Another user discovering the "benefits" of the Lee Pistol type FCD.

Bill

prs
06-27-2013, 11:24 PM
LOL! Another user discovering the "benefits" of the Lee Pistol type FCD.

Bill

Agree with the sarcasm. If the loaded rounds "need" what the Carbide Factory Crimp Die is supposed to fix, then the better solution is to correct the errs in the reloading routine. My CFCDs are seperated with the bottom part used as case sizing dies and the crimp part installed into spare powder through die bodies to yield simple crimp dies. Other experienced loades put them in the trash.

prs

Baron von Trollwhack
06-28-2013, 08:24 PM
This man has very good advice. ku4hx.

BvT

mpmarty
06-28-2013, 09:20 PM
Too bad the lee pistol factory crimp dies don't work as fertilizer either.

jmort
06-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Another of the Lee Precision FCD handgun hater threads brought to you by non-users who add nothing to the thread. Fortunately, the large majority, 2/3 on this site, know that used properly, the handgun FCDs promote uniformity and function. Oversized cast boolits will get swaged down. jonp post #6 and Maximumbob54 post #7 are the only ones with a clue. Otherwise, the usual non-user bashing out-of-step with the large majority.

Nickle
06-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Too bad the lee pistol factory crimp dies don't work as fertilizer either.

I know, because that's all it would be good for, if it was. They give junk a bad name.

And, I do believe I've probably made enough ammo without one that didn't have a problem to say that I don't really need one.

From what I see, if your ammo is made right in the first place, you don't need one.

Now, I also hear the rifle taper crimp die is a whole different story. It's said they work.

I will say this much. Unlike a few other folks that do use them (the pistol dies), I won't refer to an experienced loader as an idiot because he does or doesn't use one. I won't, that's my choice. Not anybody's place to tell me I will. "Your mileage may vary."

MT Chambers
06-29-2013, 12:15 AM
Nickles got it, reload your ammo properly and you don't need one, totally unnecessary.

MtGun44
06-29-2013, 12:32 AM
"Oversized boolits get sized down...:"

Yep. My point exactly. Thanks for making to clearly.

Bill

jmort
06-29-2013, 12:57 AM
For sure they are not for everyone, but most users are very happy and I cannot understand why non-users care if the users are happy? I think it would suffice to say that "I find them unnecessary." The limitations are well know and understood. Tiny invective and a lack of constructive discussion is tedious.

BTW, you can open them up to accommodate any size you like. Then no problems and you get a nice "factory crimp."

blackthorn
06-29-2013, 10:40 AM
Lee's FCD is designed with jacketed bullets in mind. The cast bullets we use are ofte, by necessity, larger in diameter than jacketed! The Lee FCD works wonderfully for jacketed rounds, for a lot of cast---not so much! If you are fortunate enough to have a handgun with tight (original design) specifications, the FCD should work as well with cast as it will with jacketed! So---might work---might not. Mr. gun is going to tell you what he likes pretty quick.