PDA

View Full Version : Help With Choosing A Mould

bizzledude
06-27-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm purchasing a Traditions 50 caliber Kentucky pistol kit and wanted to purchase a mould for it.

Seeing as this is the first blackpowder experience I'll ever have, I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a starter.
I plan on using the gun for plinking for now, but might consider it for hunting if I'm comfortable with it.

The link is to the muzzleloading moulds made by Lee on midway. I like Lee moulds, they're in my price point, and I own several for the pistol calibers I reload.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=3&itemsperpage=96&dimensionids=4294846304&newcategorydimensionid=5680

I would be grateful if anyone would share insights on what mould might serve me best for getting started.

Thanks you.

prs
06-27-2013, 03:38 PM
If the rifling of the Traditions product is 1:48 or faster, then an original Maxi is really hard to beat. Huge lube capacity to keep fouling really soft and clean-up really easy, plus superb accuracy. If the twist is slower, I would go with a .490" round ball and linen patch lubed with Ballsitol. Round ball is fine in higher twist rate too. Either way, stash away some good pure or near pure lead for casting. Try some Hornady round balls in .490 and maybe .495 to see. Swiss ffg is great, but $, Shuetzen is a little less and almost as good. I have not had much success in getting Goex to shoot as well as those other two unless conditions are humid.