PDA

View Full Version : Boolits getting shaved in case when seating

DrewTenney
06-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Problems... So I lubed these last night, and let them sit until around 1800 after I got off work. Was conducting my "test seating" to ensure bullet seat depth was good for OAL/chambering etc... I put every one of these boolits through my .452 sizing die, and resized all the 45acp cases, and chamfered the case opening which is measuring .4545-.4550. The boolits are being shaved, very slightly on the mouth of the case and leaving some lead on the very upper edge of the case neck. The boolits are 100% COWW water dropped at 650-675deg. What do I do?

Reg
06-26-2013, 10:03 PM
Get one of the Lyman or other I.D. case chamfering tools that is set up for the 20 degree chamfer and make sure your inside chamfer is just slightly bigger than the outside of the bullet. Also make sure the cast bullet is setting at least reasonably close to vertical as possible That will cure it.

Green Lizzard
06-26-2013, 10:19 PM
flare the case mouth

DrewTenney
06-26-2013, 10:20 PM
Green lizard, flare with??

cummins05
06-26-2013, 10:23 PM
Your sizing die middle stem should be able to screw into the case a little deeper and put a very slight bell on the case mouth just make sure u crimp that bell out in your bullet seating step

DrewTenney
06-26-2013, 10:44 PM
Cummins, the sizing die decapper pin goes all the way into the casing. The case goes flush with die, cannot. Seat anymore than it has. I suppse I could replace the decapper pin with one that is .457, but the inside diameter of the die would not let the case expand that much... hmmm maybe there is buildup on inside ofsizing die I can clean out and it will allow case to expand more, besides that and the other chamfer tool I can't think of anything

L Ross
06-26-2013, 11:35 PM
What make of dies are you using Drew? Perhaps one of us can help if we knew. Green Lizard is right, you need to flare the case mouth before seating then taper crimp it back down after seating. I flare with a Lyman M die in some situations, the through powder dies in my Lee die set in others. And you can always get the Lee universal flare die, which only flares but does not expand.

Duke

Firebricker
06-26-2013, 11:53 PM
Drew, Most pistol calibers come in three die sets die 1 resizes and removes spent primer die 2 flares die 3 seats and crimps.
There are two types of expander dies the Lyman M die expands the inside of case mouth and flares. The Lee just flares the case mouth check out the reloading equipment section and search "M die". I've also heard of guys using thing like needle nose pliers cut down to flare case off the press. FB

cummins05
06-27-2013, 12:30 AM
Yeah sorry I wasn't very clear but u would turn the second die or the expander die stem in a little but at a time until u have a small bell of the case

Green Lizzard
06-27-2013, 09:40 AM
i have an m die, but it mostly stays in the box i use an old tapered punch 22 hornet to 45-70

prs
06-27-2013, 12:26 PM
I had to flare my 45ACP cases more than what is typical for me to prevent this. I use the Lee powder through die and had to turn it in almost a full turn past case contact. Then the seat die set to NOT crimp and then a taper crimp die to eliminate the flare and on some boolits to also crimp a little.

prs

mdi
06-27-2013, 12:27 PM
I don't think case flaring can be done with the size/decapping die. A powder through flaring die by Lee expands the mouth of the case, and I believe every other die manufacturer makes a die for flaring the case mouth, just can't think of what they call them right now. When seating lead bullets, the bullet needs an "entry" to the case; a flare that is larger than the base of the bullet that allows the bullet to start in the case without the mouth edge scraping the side of the bullet...

jhalcott
06-27-2013, 01:48 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/661032/lee-carbide-3-die-set-45-acp
Your case MOUTH needs a bit more flare. The middle die is used for this.