PDA

View Full Version : Maybe this is strange, maybe it's not.

DAL357
09-30-2007, 01:10 AM
Today, after the wife and son left for a few hours, I set up my camp stove in the garage to smelt some WW. Since I don't have a thermometer, yet, I kept the temperature low and increased it slowly until the lead just started melting. It was slow going, but I finally found the spot on the control where to heat it just right. After skimming the clips, fluxing, and skimming the scum, I poured the contents into a muffin pan.

So far so good.

The problem came when I attempted to smelt my second batch of WW. This batch started to melt, but it seemed to stop after only about 5 mm of lead was melted on the bottom (the rest of the metal over the small amount of molten lead stayed the consistency of mud). I cautiously increased the temperature bit by bit, but it didn't seem to help. Finally, fearing zinc contamination, and running out of time and patience, I stopped for the day and threw away the contents.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? I'm new to casting (in fact, I haven't even used my bullet mould yet) so I thought I'd ask the pros here.

BTW, this casting on a camp stove leaves a lot to be desired. I don't need an operation for a huge volume, but I would like to more efficiently use my time. What I have on hand, about 200 pounds of WW, will likely last me a long time, but I need a better set up. Someone on another thread mentioned a weed burner from Harbor Freight that I think is on sale right now for around $20; I believe I might just look into this, the only problem being that I hate to buy a 20-lb. propane tank for something I'll probably only do once a year. Maybe I can rent a propane tank somewhere.

Thanks for any help on the above you can throw my way.
DAL357

JohnH
09-30-2007, 07:19 AM
From what I've seen around here, it'll cost you as much to rent a propane tank as to buy one outright. It sounds very like you don't have enough heat, but iv'e never had trouble melting 10-15 pounds of WW on a gas stove top. Once the melt starts, you have to keep poking the WW down to insure good contact with the melt. It don't sound like zinc is the problem. Try again.

If in doubt about your WW, the sure way to keep zinc out is to take two pliers and bend the weights, lead WW will only bend, zinc WW break.

I cast on a Coleman gas stove for years, white gas or naptha not propane, in fact I mostly ran Amoco premium, turn it full blast and melt away

44man
09-30-2007, 07:37 AM
No heat to the ww's is the problem because of the air around each one. I just take my torch and heat them to where they start to melt and stir them around. They have to be in contact with the pot or molten lead, leave more melted lead in the pot before adding more weights.

Bret4207
09-30-2007, 07:54 AM
A lot of guys are going to turkey fryers for the big jobs with a cast iron dutch oven for the pot. The Coleman may be slower, but it does work. Turn it up and go. You have to keep forcing the ww into contact with the melt.

Jim
09-30-2007, 08:09 AM
I use a propane burner and a big S/S dogfood bowl. When I fire up the burner, I get after the WWs with a plumber's torch from the top and give it a head start.

HollandNut
09-30-2007, 08:59 AM
For the big jobs I use propane and a cast iron pot that holds near 100# of molten lead ..

RayinNH
09-30-2007, 09:09 AM
DAL357, if you go the weed burner route, do you have a barbecue grill you can swipe the propane tank from, to try temporarily?...Ray

44woody
09-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Dal357 I seen a thread where someone built a smelter out of a electric range stove element from what I remember this person said it worked great for small batches 50 lbs or so that would not be hard to make if you have a little fabrication skills I have melted lead on a stove before and it worked good so here is a little food for thought:castmine: 44Woody

Pathfinder1cav
09-30-2007, 10:43 AM
FWIW, I melted 6200# of lead scrap (for the keel of a Schooner that I built) using just a few fire bricks, charcoal, steel canninig pot & small blower- ultimately it was the biggest bullet that I ever made! I now use a turkey fryer (Wal Mart- $27)......Dennis

DAL357
09-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. I suspect the problem, after reading the posts, may just have been not enough contact/heat on the weights above the molten lead. I think I'll go the propane-torch route during the next smelting session to help things along.

BTW, Ray, I no longer have a propane BBQ, having sold it years ago, so that option is, unfortunately, out.
DAL357

trickyasafox
09-30-2007, 03:44 PM
keep an eye out for turkey fryers. i picked one up at home depot for 30 dollars this summer, and it beats the tar out of trying to smelt and cast out of my 10lb pot.