PDA

View Full Version : Used Sizer; Did I do good or get screwed ?

Patrick L
08-15-2005, 12:37 PM
Based on advice I trust, I decided I needed a second sizer in order to use lube more suited to higher velocity rifle CBs. I stopped into a local gunshop to pick up a pound of powder, and they had an older Ideal #45 sizer, complete with box and instructions, sitting in the case. There was no price on it, so the owner said give him an offer. I said $25 bucks, he said make it $30, tax included. I bought it.

According to Lyman's website, newer 450/RCBS sizer dies and top punches work in this machine. Is this true ? I want to use this one exclusively for .30 cal bullets with LBT or something similar.

Did I do good, or will I regret this ?

moodyholler
08-15-2005, 12:46 PM
You did good! I have a 45 and a 450 and the dies do interchange. If anything, I like the 45 better than the new one and I paid 100 bucks for it. Myu old 45 was inherited. moodyholler

KCSO
08-15-2005, 02:56 PM
I have a 45 that has been in use since 1948 and no breakage and no problems. However I follow the instruction I got with the unit, don't size over 2 thou and no hard lubes. Now days I just use it to lube with and size in push through dies in a seperate operation. I will lube up a batch of bullets as cast at 315-317 and size to 314 311 309 as needed. The 45 is not a heavy duty unit and the new sizing dies are not as close a fit as the old ones. Of course I also use a #1 off and on too.

Shepherd2
08-15-2005, 03:18 PM
A couple years ago I decided I needed a second sizer too and I wanted a Lyman 45. I saw quite a few on eBay go for $50-$60. I finally got one that someone had painted green for $35. While I was cleaning out the hardened lube I cleaned off the green paint and painted it Lyman orange. I like it better than my 450 but I only use it with soft lube and light chores which was my original intention.

I recall that the 45s on eBay that had the box and instructions brought a premium so I think you got a good buy.

Patrick L
08-15-2005, 03:57 PM
So does that mean I should use my RCBS Lubamatic for the LBT Blue and quenched rifle bullets and the Ideal 45 for my soft lubing of my unhardened rifle bullets (ie what I currently use the RCBS for ?)

Also, speaking of cleaning out the ancient hardened lube, how do I do that?

David R
08-15-2005, 04:12 PM

Warm it up, or boil it in water. The lube will leave. :)

Have fun, I would like a second luber too, but..............

David

shooter2
08-15-2005, 04:17 PM
So does that mean I should use my RCBS Lubamatic for the LBT Blue and quenched rifle bullets and the Ideal 45 for my soft lubing of my unhardened rifle bullets (ie what I currently use the RCBS for ?)

I would use the soft lube in the 45 and save the LBT for the newer presses. In fact, I use a heater with LBT blue. As to cleaning the old lube out of the 45, just heat it. A propane torch should work well if you use it carefully and just get everything hot. Don't linger and overheat in any one area. A hot oven would work, but it's likely to be a messy and stinky operation. Mineral spirits should work if you can immerse it and let it set for a while.

moodyholler
08-15-2005, 04:35 PM
I use SPG in the 45, and 450, and hard lube in the seaco. I am thinking I would get another 450 and put a heater under it for the harder lubes. moodyholler

Paul B
08-15-2005, 05:08 PM
Does anyone have a set of instruction for the 45 Luber/sizer that would be willing to copy for me? I pic ked one up, but while it does look complete, I'm not sure.
Paul B.

drinks
08-15-2005, 05:16 PM
You might check the Lyman site, they may have instructions you can download.

9.3X62AL
08-15-2005, 05:52 PM
Patrick, you did REAL WELL on that Lyman 45.

I don't think the Lyman or RCBS sizer/lubricators are at their best doing major down-sizing or running harder lubes without heat assistance. For that reason, I use Javelina or a similar Alox 50/50 concoction--and attempt to get rifles, pistols, size dies, and boolits as close to the same sheet of music as I can.

JerryW
08-15-2005, 06:09 PM
You done well I use the Ideal#! light duty a #45 and two #450's for the rest. JerryW

NVcurmudgeon
08-15-2005, 08:15 PM
Patrick, Two cautions I would like to add concerning the Lyman 45. First, the sizing die is held in by a setscrew, which engages a groove near the top of the die. Don't lean too hard on the wrench while tightening the setscrew.
I have heard horror stories of dies being distorted into egg shapes, and even cracked. Second, if you got any Lyman sizing dies with the machine, be sure they are not the old type with the "step" or "ledge" in the die. These old dies can size a boolit by scraping one side off of it. Your dies should have a tapered lead-in as all the modern dies do. Dies and top punches of RCBS brand are also interchangeable with Lyman. Some posters on this board have said that RCBS sizing dies are rougher than Lyman. I don't know, because I have used only Lyman.

buck1
08-15-2005, 09:35 PM
Thats a good buy! You can run harder lubes with a light bulb and a bit of a tin foil reflector on the lubesizer....Buck

PatMarlin
08-16-2005, 12:42 AM
I like the old 45, and I use blue soft.

My pressure feed shaft broke at the base, so I welded a 9/16" (3/8 thread) nut on the end, and counter sunk a hole for it in the bench.

Rock solid now.. [smilie=b:

floodgate
08-16-2005, 03:33 PM
Does anyone have a set of instruction for the 45 Luber/sizer that would be willing to copy for me? I picked one up, but while it does look complete, I'm not sure.
Paul B.

Paul B:

I have just what you need; I think it will fit on a scan attached to an e-mail. Your e-addy is not listed on the "members" roster, so PM it to me and I will kick it off. Or, send your s-mail address and I will forward a hard copy.

To everyone looking for current Lyman instructions and parts info, call and order their "Reloading and Cast Bullet Users Guide", Part No. 9837283, $1.95. It is a little pocket-sized booklet with all sorts of useful instructions, parts diagrams, etc. Doesn't go back as far as the #45, but shows parts for the old and the new #450 and the #4500. They have actually sent a couple of copies to me for free, with parts orders..

Floodgate