PDA

View Full Version : History is also a good endorsement!

Linstrum
09-29-2007, 11:46 PM
I have some historical type information about Patmarlin’s excellent product that some may find interesting. :D I am fortunately both old enough to have worked as an engine mechanic when cast babbit bearings were still used, and to have been taught how to cast the babbit bearings by men who were born well before cars were an everyday sight, one mechanic who taught me a lot was born in 1872! Railroad locomotives and steamboats used cast babbit bearings going back to about 1845 when Mr. Babbit invented his alloy for the United States Navy’s steam ships. So that technology itself is not recent and by the time I came along getting myself greasy and dirty from head to foot lying on my back under a car on a creeper on a cold garage floor, the techniques of babbit casting to make engine bearings had been perfected to the point that even the really good shade tree mechanics knew how. :redneck:

Some time around 1948 was when the last of the major engine manufacturers stopped using cast babbit bearings and switched to inserts, General Motors being the last one to use them that I am aware of. I seem to recall that the 1948 Chevy 216.5 cid six-cylinder engine was the last one in production that had cast rod bearings. The last rod bearings I cast were in 1969 and I remember the job well. The three best auto repair manuals available back in the 1930s to the 1950s were Chilton’s Manuals, Motor’s Manuals, and Floyd Clymer’s Manuals. They all gave instructions on how to cast bearings but Floyd Clymer’s books had the most detailed instructions. Machinery’s Handbook also had a brief section on casting babbit bearings as well. The main things covered in babbit bearing casting are to have the cavity well ventilated so air can escape to prevent voids, use an adequate sized sprue, smoke parts with soot to keep metal from sticking where it is not wanted, remove all oil and grease from the cavity, have the cavity pre-heated up to about 450°F to get good fill-out, flux the babbit pot with SAWDUST, and stir it with a WOODEN STICK to help flux the bottom as well as CHECK THE TEMPERATURE since at the correct babbit casting temperature of around 800°F the wood chars and smokes heavily.

Beginning to sound familiar?

It has been approximately 75 years since babbit casting was still necesssary knowledge among all auto mechanics and practiced in all major full service auto shops. The Model T and A Fords, Chevys, Dodge Brothers, Packards, Hudsons, Studebakers, etc, all used cast babbit bearings until sometime around the early 1930s when they all changed over to insert bearings, with Chevy holding out until after World War Two. The consequences of this were that it had been common knowledge that sawdust and wooden stirring sticks were the best things to use for casting babbit but with the change in technology this knowledge was for the most part lost for somewhere around 60 years! I started casting babbit bearings before I started casting boolits, but not by much, and since the two processes are virtually identical the knowledge of how to do one was directly useful for the other. Since sawdust and wooden sticks were the best materials ever discovered for casting babbit as well as boolits, I think that history itself is the ultimate as well as best endorsement for Patmarlin’s product.

:cbpour:

454PB
09-30-2007, 12:06 AM
Though I never cast babbitt bearings, I worked on a lot of them. They are still widely used in the power generation world. I had to have a new set cast for one of our generators about 6 years ago. It was relatively small, weighing about 700 pounds, but it cost over $40,000 to have made. We then spent several weeks fitting it to the generator shaft.

mike in co
09-30-2007, 12:58 AM
i have scraped babbit brgs in the shipyards.......

and had fit insert brgs to race motors....

my best scraper was made by hollow grinding a triangular file.....

never had to pour one.......

mike in co

armoredman
09-30-2007, 10:51 AM
What IS Babbit metal? I remember a WWI flying ace used babbit metal to repair a general's Packard, but never knew what it was, exactly.

3006guns
09-30-2007, 11:18 AM
Babbit (named after the inventor) is an antifriction material similar in appearance and handling to lead....but that's where the resemblance stops. The higher quality babbits for engine work usually contain powdered copper, tin and sometimes silver. There's probably fifty different recipies for different uses. It is melted then poured into the bearing cavities of machinery, usually followed by hand scraping for a perfect fit to the rotating member (crankshaft, rod, etc.). It can also be poured directly AROUND the rotating member which will form an adequate bearing for modest speed use. You dam up the cracks with (what else?) babbiting putty and pour. I use it all the time in my old one lung engines, although I'm far from being a pro!

We still use it in our car engines...if you look at a standard bearing you'll see a thin silver colored layer covering the bearing shell. That's a babbit wash placed directly on the shell, rather that have the whole bearing poured, line bored and hand scraped.

I remember the old Chevy 216 six quite well...had to file the caps a bit suck up the clearance, check with plastigauge continuously, but it worked great!:coffee:

pumpguy
09-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Aermotor windmills, invented before the turn of the last century, still use babbit bearings.

armoredman
09-30-2007, 01:29 PM
Nifty, thanks!

hydraulic
09-30-2007, 05:01 PM
I know my 1949 Chevrolet Styleline had babbit bearings, and I'm pretty sure they were used through l953. Dad had a Chevrolet garage in rural Nebraska, and it was common to have to replace the rods. No one knew who to cast the bearings around there, and I used to drive 50 miles to a parts house to pick them up for the mechanics. If I remember correctly, Dad's new 1954 Chevrolet was the first of the 216's with inserts.

Ricochet
09-30-2007, 09:08 PM
I had a very worn 1952 Chevy with a 216 Six to work on and play with when I was a kid. (Then they had the 216 with a manual transmission, and 235 with Powerglide.) I'm sure from looking through the J.C. Whitney catalog parts lists that it still used babbited rods, and probably mains as well. I never got around to pulling it down that far, because it didn't need it.

When I was really young, my family had a 1954 Chevy sedan that my dad bought new. It was the first year that Chevy used chrome piston rings, and it was a huge oil hog. Pop took it back to them several times, with no success. Then finally the rings seated and the oil consumption stopped. I remember taking it to trade in on a brand new 1960 Buick LeSabre station wagon, which was the lemon of all lemons.

Lee
09-30-2007, 10:35 PM
Learned to drive on a '54 Chevy. Dad also had a '56 Chevy.

God, I miss those days.............................................. ............................Lee:wink:

fourarmed
10-01-2007, 02:52 PM
The '51 Chevy had babbit rod bearings. It was the last year IIR of dipper rod lubrication. One of the dippers on mine failed, and that journal was out of round. About every couple of hundred miles, I had to file a little off the rod cap. Once before a date I drained the oil, unbolted the steering gear, removed the pan, filed the cap, and put it all back together in quite a bit less than an hour

Ricochet
10-01-2007, 04:23 PM
...and avoided a breakdown on the date, which could have been convenient. :mrgreen:

fourarmed
10-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Oh, I had that anyway!