PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's and Vets

Boz330
06-26-2013, 05:54 PM
I stopped by the local Cabela's today to see if they had a Pedersoli Sharps that was on sale. I didn't figure they would have one in stock but thought I would check. It turned out they did have one and since I had a pile of points on my credit card decided to pull the trigger on the deal. When I finished the paperwork the clerk asked if I was a vet and I said yes and pointed out the veterans designation on my drivers license. He told me that they had just started a deal in the retail stores today to give a discount to Vets, and first responders. I didn't argue a bit when they knocked another $164 off of the rifle.
I have always like Cabela's goods since it is usually top shelf and they never give any trouble on returns. I started buying from Cabela's when I was guiding since I seemed to get the best service from the boots and camos. When they offered me a CC with points back on purchases from them and anyone else I jumped on it.
Hats off to a retailer that recognizes Vets and First Responders. At least 2 other folks thanked me for my service while there as well which was kind of nice. I just did my time because I felt it was my duty like my dad before me. Never expected anything other than what it was. Pretty nice day all in all.:drinks:

Bob

BK7saum
06-26-2013, 05:59 PM
They do this once or twice a year. Did they mention how long it would be in effect. Sometime it is only a weekend or a week.

Bad Water Bill
06-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Lets keep this post going so all can see and say THANK YOU to a REAL American co.:drinks:

Lets hope it is a forever discount and not a once a year unannounced thing

Boz330
06-26-2013, 06:46 PM
I didn't get the impression it was a short term thing but didn't ask. He did say it was at the local stores though not on internet purchases. If you have anything big planed, might be a good time to jump on it if you have a store near you. Like I said in KY you can have Veteran added to your DL with your DD214 so if you don't have that option it might not be a bad idea to take one with you. BTW did I mention that I am a happy camper.

Bob

captbligh
06-26-2013, 07:28 PM
The Glendale AZ store has the employee discount for veterans, police, and EMTs today through Friday. I assume it's the same for all of the stores. Discount varies from 10 - 40% depending on the item.

10-x
06-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Will a VA ID card work?

MtGun44
06-26-2013, 07:52 PM
Heck of a deal! Great company.

Thank you for your service.

Bill

Boz330
06-27-2013, 08:16 AM
Will a VA ID card work?

I would sure hope so. It is on my license. I don't know if they would make you show anything or not. I was kind of surprised when the guy asked me as I was checking out and I just said yes and pointed it out since I had to show my DL for ID anyway. Of course I'm old and a significant number of my generation had to serve so that might have been why the guy asked.
If what Cpt Bligh said is correct you better jump on it.

Bob

LynC2
06-27-2013, 08:30 AM
That's good to hear! I have one of their cards that I use on a regular basis, I like their points I get on everyday purchases. I just wish they had a store local here. :(

10-x
06-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Veterans status is on Ga DL too. Heard a wild rumor that Cabela's is going to build a store near JAX Fl. ??!!!!!

Bad Water Bill
06-27-2013, 11:52 AM
You will know Cabelas is coming when you see 3 BRONZE deer on a BIG flatbed moving into your area.

Fantastic live fish,stuffed animal, and record species collections found no where else.

A real pleasure every time I visit there.

Now add in points for purchases, amazing display of products, knowledgeable courteous employees and now discounts, what is there not to like?

Buy on line and make your order ship to store for pickup and you save delivery fees.

quilbilly
06-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Wholesale Sports (now Sportsman's Wharehouse) in our area has had this deal every day for years and I take advantage of it regularly. I just show my retired military ID to get the discount.
Cabelas is staying competitive.

dragon813gt
06-27-2013, 01:19 PM
Home Depot and Lowe's have an armed services discount every day. I think it's ten percent.

horsesoldier
06-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Our local outpost has 5 or 10 percent off everyday for vets and first responders

Bad Water Bill
06-27-2013, 02:12 PM
I did get a vets discount ONCE at Lowes and neither Home Depot or Menards in my area admit any knowledge of a vet discount.

Might be a store managers call rather than a corporate policy.

Marvin S
06-27-2013, 05:40 PM
KC Cabelas has had mil discount for a long time. It is employee discount to vets right now so im going tomorrow for some fishing gear. Our Lowes, Home Depot and Southerlands give 10% all the time.

mrblue
06-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Thats about the only time i go to cabelas is for the discount. Any other time i feel they cant compete with online sources. But i see someone that isnt there for the deal. I always ask if they want in when i kake my purchase. Always nice to get a few bucks in your pocket. This deal does exclude ammo, powder, and firearms

Taylor
06-27-2013, 09:18 PM
Where is there a Cabelas in Ky?

dragon813gt
06-27-2013, 09:38 PM
I did get a vets discount ONCE at Lowes and neither Home Depot or Menards in my area admit any knowledge of a vet discount.

It's corporate policy as far as I know. A friend that used to work at HD was the one that told me about it. And the five Lowes that I visit all have it listed on a large sign above the customer service desk.

dale2242
06-27-2013, 10:26 PM
As a ODF&W certified Hunter Ed instructor, I received a free $50 gift card from Cabelas.
Great company. Very generous.....dale

Bad Water Bill
06-28-2013, 12:49 AM
For several years we had a program called BEGINNERS SHOOT.

The range master asked for donations from many gun stores in the area. We were going to provide certified training firearms ammo etc and you provided the beginners.

Yes the store mgr went to the headquarters for their OK.

Gabelas provided an all weather sign advertising the event. It was about 4' hi and 10' long,then they filled a shopping cart full of clay birds,shooting glasses 12&20 ga ammo,hats and much more.

After the first year they were calling us as to what they could donate for the next shoot.

Need I say more?

GaryN
06-28-2013, 01:46 AM
You will know Cabelas is coming when you see 3 BRONZE deer on a BIG flatbed moving into your area.

They didn't do the deer thing here. They brought in two bronze bull elk.

PS Paul
06-28-2013, 02:02 AM

kudos to ANY retail store manager who does this service to our veterans on his/her own. A lot of times these people are lumped in with the nameless and faceless corporate beauracrats who run these chains. Ain't necessarily so.

What a day, eh? Nice score!

elkhuntfever
06-28-2013, 05:27 AM
I have run into some Lowes and Home Depot that only have it on certain days.

elkhuntfever
06-28-2013, 05:30 AM
Where is there a Cabelas in Ky?

Yes, a new store just opened in Louisville this year.

Boz330
06-28-2013, 08:32 AM
It opened back in April. You couldn't get near the place for about 2 weeks. It isn't as big as a couple of the early stores back when it was family owned. I have been to the KC and Dundee MI stores and they are a lot bigger and really impressive.

Bob