PDA

View Full Version : Might be wrong bullet for this rifle

Jack Stanley
06-26-2013, 02:31 PM
I've used up almost all the bullets from my borrowed molds so now I'm beginning to work with bullets from my own molds . The first one I wanted to work with is the Lyman 225462 I wanted to use this bullet in this particular Savage model 110 because flat nosed bullets tend to hang-up during feeding from the magazine . First I found that with my bullets sized at .2253" (ish) the best overall length of loaded ammo is 2.057" . At 2.060 you can feel the bullets pushing into the rifling when chambering and accuracy is worse than when I seat them a little shorter . I also tried seating them to 2.040" and that went nowhere as well .

With bullets seated to 2.057" , no gas checks , tumble lubed and sized then light tumble with paste wax . I used pistol primers and three point three grains of Bullseye at thirty yards and got ten shot groups I could cover with a nickle . OK now to me THAT shoots , I'm trying to make the rifle do that with a powder that gets more velocity now . In the past with other bullets , eight grains of Unique and a pistol primer will shoot like that . Not with this 225462 bullet though , I backed off the charge and ran it up to eight point two and no joy . I backed off the charge and swtiched to small rifle primers ... nope ! I went from Javalina lube to LBT , and no real big difference . I changed crimp from light to none and even tried a LEE factory crimp and that didn't help .

What is frustraing is the last bullet I used was the RCBS 22-55-SP with the same eight grain charge , pistol primer , light crimp and it would almost go into the same hole . All the while with a velocity of about twenty-one hundred feet per second . Feeding wasn't positive but it shot great .

I'm thinking along the line of trying Hercules twenty-four hundred , in the past with the RCBS bullet it was reasonably accurate when used in an eleven grain charge . I went to using Unique because it left cases cleaner and had less of a velocity deviation . I wonder with the longer bearing surface of the 225462 if twenty-four hundred would burn a little better now . I have about forty bullets checked and lubed with LBT I could try and about fifty checked and lubed with Alox/paste wax .

Anybody got some insight about these Savage 110 rifles and the Lyman 225462 bullets ? I'd like to find a load I can make by the ammo can full using the Dillon So I'm staying away from fillers and such .

Jack

Bullshop
06-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Try gas checks.

HangFireW8
06-26-2013, 03:59 PM
What alloy are you using? Also what did the bore slug out to be?

Jack Stanley
06-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Alloy is wheel weights with a bit of linotype added , air cools to thirteen BHN or so . I got to wondering later this afternoon if perhaps the Unique is building enough pressure to rivet the lead that's in the powder space . . Gas checked or not that wouldn't be good for it .

The earlier tests using Bullseye as a propellant without a gas check on the bullet was very accurate so I'm sure at least the length is correct .

Hangfire , as I recall groove diameter was .224" ... the bullets as I am sizing them are a slip fit in the fired cases .

Jack

Jack Stanley
06-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Well it looks like 2400 is a flop for the time being , Unique still is a little better . I loaded a few more of the most consistant I've had with Unique . I swapped out the el cheapo scope even though I did get good groups with it I'm real tired now of fighting to see the target in some of the overcast days we've had here . Tomorrow may be better with a Leupold scope .

I may just scrap this project and go back to military surplus rifles for a while . The Mosin 91/59 has been calling to me every time I walk past it .

Jack