PDA

View Full Version : Hornady 90 GR HBWC in Nagant revolver?

swheeler
08-15-2005, 12:24 PM
How is it that I can shoot the H 90 gr HBWC at over 1000 fps with no leading, but when I cast the 100 gr lee of pure lead it leads the barrel bad at just 800 fps, different loadings of the same powder, but pressures should be about equal. The only thing I can think of is the lube, the Hornady uses some kind of film lube on knurling. Anybody shoot some of these before?
Scooter

Willbird
08-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Could it be that the hollow base is expanding up to fit either the throats or the bore that may be larger than the Lee bullet ??

I know in Col Harrisons book on cast bullets they found out that the remington hbwc had just the right amount of a very good lube lube to be very accurate, adding 50/50 increased group size.

Bill

swheeler
08-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Willbird; I though about dia too, both are larger than groove diametr, the hornady is about .003 over and the lee a few tenths, as to throat I've never really figured that out for this Ruski design, the front of the cyl is about .334, and a round loaded with the wc is .333+ right on the crimp, nice slip fit with the .314wc, couple thou clearance with lee rn. This hbwc is turning in good accuracy, I just would like to be able to do it with my own boolits tho.

9.3X62AL
08-15-2005, 01:33 PM
The Hornady HBWC is NOT pure lead--they are pretty soft, but are alloyed some. I've never run them past 800 FPS, but in several 32 caliber revolvers they've never leaded my guns. Same story with the 32 caliber/90 grain SWC's and the 148 grain 38 caliber HBWC's--not a trace of leading, at all. The Hornadys shoot better than the Speers in my experience, too.

I would be careful with any hollow-based/skirted boolit to not get too intrepid--these designs have been known to have skirts separate and remain in the bore when over-driven.

swheeler
08-15-2005, 01:51 PM
I scratched one with a nail and seen how soft it was, just figured pure pb. I bought these to give a try at your recommend some time ago, had to slow them down just a little, but they shoot good! I killed my chrono a few weeks back so guessing at velocity. They are lubed so lightly you can barely tell there is anything on them, other than mica. This is one where the old rule of thumb didn't apply, lighter boolit- faster and it shoots higher, but not much.I didn't get any of the permits I applied for, moose, goat, ant, cow elk, not one. I will be buying several extra MD does tags, one will be just for this LITTLE round, but I would rather use the 100 gr boolit!

We shall see!
Scooter

carpetman
08-15-2005, 02:42 PM
SWWheeler---Scooter sorry you didnt get drawn on your tags,but maybe this is a good deal. Most people dont realize how truly delicious cat is. Besides tamales it makes all kinds of good stuff. The fur is also very soft--makes good coats underware etc. So maybe that unused freezer space(no elk or goat)can be used for cats and you don't need a tag. Kill a few and if you don't like the taste,you cooked it wrong,kill a bunch so you get plenty of practice.

Ed Barrett
08-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Carpetman;

Is it true that you are a professional market hunter for several west Texas Oriental eating establishments? You can't eat all those cats yourself!

swheeler
08-15-2005, 03:03 PM
Ray; hope it doesn't come down to that! I still will be able to hunt elk in my usual area, just will have to take a browtined bull, I usually see 50-100 cows for one bull. Just looked on FWP web site and surplus tags are plentiful, may have to hunt some new locations tho, about 800 extra cow tags, 11,000 deer, 6,000 pronghorn doe- fawn tags. Last year we got 1 cow elk, 5 deer, and 2 antelope, butchered two hogs- we are out of meat. I wonder how many cats it takes to equal an elk?

9.3X62AL
08-15-2005, 03:14 PM
Scooter--

I'll try the Lee 100 RN's on jackrabbits before advancing to larger species. The Lees didn't do too badly the other day, mostly a matter of Kentucky windage and elevation--then the rounds kept whacking the impact plate at 35 yards pretty regularly. Most Russian handguns are regulated very high when contrasted with domestic handguns, and this Nagant is no exception--a 6 o'clock hold about 6" low on the plate's bottom edge did the trick, roughly centering the hits on the 12" x 12" surface. Now, a target gun......it isn't. Fun--most definitely.

swheeler
08-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Agreed, no target gun, but I'm not a "target grade " shooter either! I do like to do things different tho, shoot gophers with a 300 mag, deer with 223, damn if I ever did get a moose permit I'd have to buy a 17 remington for the hunt.

Scrounger
08-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Scooter, I'll pass along one of CarpetMan's receipes he sent me. I haven't tried it but it sounds good.; I just can't get past eating a mouse catcher. I may try it with some other meat. But here's his version:

Cataroni Casserole

Cook 8 ounces of elbow macaroni
Shred 8 ounces of Cheddar cheese
Dice one small onion
Dice one small green pepper
Cut up one mild green Chile (pepper)
Dice or shred 1 pound of cat meat. Young Siamese are most tender, use whatever you catch.
Brown the meat, onion, & peppers in a skillet
Add one can of diced tomatoes
Add one half teaspoon each of salt, black pepper, and minced garlic
Simmer for thirty minutes
Grease a two quart casserole dish
Put half the cooked macaroni in the bottom of the dish and sprinkle half the cheese over it
Carefully spoon in the meat/pepper/ tomato mixture
Put remaining macaroni on top and sprinkle remaining cheese on it
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35 minutes

Bon Appetite!

9.3X62AL
08-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Awright, awright.......cat recipes, now? At risk of arousing the humaniac lunatic fringe, it should be noted that the famous soccer player Pele ate cat before each match, believing that to do so infused him with the lithe quickness of a cat. Perhaps this is what C-man seeks.

If the fur units are fed too well at home, they won't hunt gophers with the proper motivation and mindset. I hate it when that happens.

How this relates to Nagant revolver feeding I don't have a clue.