PDA

View Full Version : Candles galore

Jal5
06-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Yesterday was our annual town bulk trash day. I thought I had given up scrounging but walking our dog I spotted two lawn garbage bags full of plastic containers that were full of scented candles. Probably 5 gal. Buckets worth! My BOOLITS will be smelling good for a long time in the future!!

Mal Paso
06-25-2013, 11:27 PM
My kind of Aroma Therapy!

dsbock
06-25-2013, 11:30 PM
I was at a yard sale a few weeks ago and saw a box of beeswax candles for $2 each. As soon as I showed interest, they offered to take $3 for the whole box. When I got them home, I found that I had bought 7 candles that weighed 13 oz each. That should keep me in lube for a while.

David

mrblue
06-25-2013, 11:37 PM
Sweet. Great find. This time of year should be able to find some sweet deals at garage sales

warf73
06-26-2013, 05:51 AM
You will love that candle wax works well and if you mix small batches if you goof it up just set it to the side and start another batch. I use foo foo candle wax for my 480 ruger boolits, they smell pretty and the best part no leading.
I've used vasaline to cut it down to pan lube with, it works great but vasaline isn't cheap. I started using ATF to cut my wax with , it works just as good as vasaline but cheaper.

Good luck with your great find.

Warf

Dale in Louisiana
06-26-2013, 09:03 AM
Visit your local Goodwill or other 'thrift' store. The get scads of candles in from clearing out estates and such, and you can often buy a box of them for a couple of bucks. I bought five pounds of them for $2. Haven't had wax that cheap since my uncle stopped working at the plant up the road that made the stuff.

dale in Louisiana

bobthenailer
06-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Im lucky ! i use my wifes burnt down yankee candles for flux when smelting outside ! oh did i add they dont cost me anything , I THINK ???
a few months ago i bought 680 lbs assorted alloys from a old friend who quit casting, with the deal i got 22lbs of bees wax.

prsman23
06-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Im lucky ! i use my wifes burnt down yankee candles for flux when smelting outside ! oh did i add they ONLY cost me $1200

Fixed it for ya. Those Yankee candles aren't cheap.

JeffinNZ
06-26-2013, 06:31 PM
You'll be needing some of my Kiwi purple longjohns to go with the scented lube!

bobthenailer
06-27-2013, 09:19 AM
HAY those scented smelting candles are actually very nice to smell ! Ive even got postive comments from my neighbors.