PDA

View Full Version : fuel is high

gunoil
06-25-2013, 02:34 PM
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/AF7F126A-1010-4351-B127-BAFB2D730713-17465-000012145CBB3350_zps41bcb46c.jpg

Parked it 4 years ago. Cranks up great. Bascially new engine and trans. Rockwell rear-ends, eaton 13 speed. I took sleeper off and put casterwheels on it. Its in my airplane hangar.

Found a 25ft box with lift gate, side door and rear roll-up. Fiberglass roof on it. Gonna install and build a sleeper/shower in it and use rear for garage. I go to airshows.

When i started trucking 2001 fuel was 92 cents. When i quit it was 5.25$.

harleykitplane.com (will update soon) It has transitioned drastic.

3006guns
06-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Sounds like a plan. Amazing how diesel went from cheaper than regular gas to higher than premium. It seemed to coincide years ago with the sudden public interest in diesel pick ups, but I'm sure I'm mistaken about that..........

I always wanted a big OLD red narrow nose Peterbuilt with a pick up box and the word "private" under the doors............just to drive our highway patrol a little nuts.

1Shirt
06-25-2013, 02:46 PM
What a shame! Truckers driven out of business due to the ego of a Solar powered bureaucrat in the white house.
1Shirt!

w5pv
06-25-2013, 03:47 PM
EPA,EPA,EPA had to get the sulphur out.

JeffinNZ
06-25-2013, 04:19 PM
EPA,EPA,EPA had to get the sulphur out.

Don't knock removing sulphur. Now we have a better grade of diesel the European/Jap/Korean engines can run here. Some amazing economy to be had from efficient little diesel engines and the get up and go is quite remarkable. I friend has a non turbo 2.0l diesel wagon. You'd think it was petrol powered the way it canters along.

Duckiller
06-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Duck hunting friend used to run a refinery. While waiting for ducks to arrive we had various discussions. One was the price and availability of fuel. When I went to school you only got so much gasoline out of a barrel of oil, same for kerosene, jet fuel, heating oil and other hydrocarbons. If you didn't take it off the cracking tower it went out the top and was burned. Dave informed me that time had passed me by. What else is new? Now the powers that be in the company would tell Dave what amount of gas they wanted from a barrel of oil and he would adjust his valves and other things on the tower and he would make lots of gasoline but not too much other things. That and taxes are a couple reasons why diesel is so expensive. Also the farther you are from the refinery the cheaper the cost of gas.Most expensive gas around is in L.A. County where they make gas. Gets cheaper when you truck it to Riverside and San Bernado Counties. Get a bunch cheaper when it gets to Arizonia.

3006guns
06-25-2013, 08:24 PM
I don't understand Duckiller.........doesn't the transport cost kick up the price?

gofastman
06-26-2013, 01:00 AM
What a shame! Truckers driven out of business due to the ego of a Solar powered bureaucrat in the white house.
1Shirt!
you cant be serious [smilie=b:

starmac
06-26-2013, 01:21 AM
What's not to be serious about. One of my trucks I bought while Clinton was pres, and he asked Opec to go up on the price, which they took him serious. That spike drove literally tens of thousands of truckers out of business, and bankrupted several large truck finance companies. While bush was pres it spiked a few times, but usually came back down. Bummer told us before he was elected he planned for it to go up and stay up, even though He knew some people would not be able to even afford to heat their homes. He has pretty much kept his word on energy, period.

Duckiller
06-26-2013, 01:39 AM
Trucking costs seem to lower prices. Where I grew up fuel came on a lake tanker. Once it was offloader and put in a truck and sent 60 miles to the south gas sold for 2-3 cents a galleon less. This was in the late 50s and early 60s. I have never understood pricing of gasoline. Right now Riverside is an average of .03/gal less than LA gas. Probably has something to do with capitalism and what the market will bear.

Hickory
06-26-2013, 01:46 AM

You wouldn't be one of those mixed-up countrymen of ours, who thinks everything the democrats or the government does is good for America, you're not one of them are you?

gofastman
06-26-2013, 10:26 AM
You wouldn't be one of those mixed-up countrymen of ours, who thinks everything the democrats or the government does is good for America, you're not one of them are you?

Assuredly NO, I just think Obama caused high gas prices like Bush caused global warming

Phoenix
06-26-2013, 11:32 AM
My experience is the commercial fuels (diesel) are higher because they know the businesses can/will/do pass on the increased costs to the shipper/receiver. They know the consumer (gasoline) will throw serious fits and government will be forced to act so they keep the gasoline prices down and jack up the diesel to make up for it. That is why gasoline never seems to meet diesel now. They will run diesel as high as they want but gasoline stays far more stable. Commerce just doesnt have near the political pull that 300 million consumers do. Ever notice when gas goes up 10% diesel goes up 20% I believe this is the reason. Just my experience through observation. I have both diesel and gas vehicles.

Bad Water Bill
06-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Lets face it. No one paid any attention to a single word B H O said. He constantly met challenges with "Under my plan" but not one question was raised as to what his plan was. He did say utility prices would double and gasoline would be around $6.00 a gallon. Green energy would replace coal and gas in providing electricity.

Well next time (if there is a next time) voters may pay a little more attention to what he says.

While Bush was president gas went thru the roof Sen Dickie Bird Durban DEMANDED a congressional investigation as to why Chit Kaga had the highest prices in the nation.

It was pointed out to him that Illinois collected .85 per gallon and Chit Kaga has ELEVEN different taxes on gas. He dropped his request. Big city big tax. small towns less greedy so less tax.

starmac
06-27-2013, 02:20 AM
I have been on a short run the last three weeks (420 miles a day). I started with the tanks full and stop every day and hand the lady 500 bucks. I haven't run any out on the ground yet, but they are staying nearly full. lol So It is costing me something just over a buck 19 a mile loaded and empty, and I am hauling OIL. lol

Duckiller
06-27-2013, 09:39 PM
Starmac how many gallons do you haul at one time? Just want to figure out what you are adding to the price of oil. That is just fuel cost! Does not include all other costs,insurance,maintenance, depreciation and replacing parts. Are you hauling to or away from the refinery?

starmac
06-28-2013, 02:54 AM
Duckhauler, what I am hauling is hot oil for asphalt out of the refinery to construction jobs. I haven't done the math, but haul from 46 to 50 tons a load and iirc it is 8.8 pounds per gallon.

Dale in Louisiana
06-28-2013, 01:28 PM
In the immortal words of Monica Lewinsky's boyfriend, "I feel your pain."

I live two miles from a huge refinery, ten from another, and within a sixty mile radius, there are several more.

I've seen gas higher here than it is a hundred miles north in central Louisiana. So let me get this straight: You transport gas three miles instead of a hundred, and the price goes UP?

What really tickles me is that I hear somebody talking 'brand loyalty' about gas, and I've worked at the bulk plant of the local refinery where they load trucks for distribution. The gasoline comes from the Citgo refinery to that bulk plant. And there in the fence of the bulk plant are several tanks labelled "Exxon additive", Chevron additive", etc.

dale in Louisiana

Bad Water Bill
06-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Not sure what the mix is today, but back in the 70s I was told 1 Five gal bucket of additive in a 10,000 gal tanker. An eye dropper would probably be to much per gallon.

jblee10
06-28-2013, 08:13 PM
A friend of mine told me he was sitting in first class next to a Chevron executive on a flight to Alaska. Around the time that Diesel prices past gasoline prices. He asked the exec why fuel for his new diesel pickup was now more expensive than gasoline. The exec told him if you can afford a diesel pickup, you can afford the fuel. So it certainly sounds like the prices are pushed to what ever the market can handle. My town in more expensive than others around us. And I've alway felt it was because we are at an intersection of state highways.

Blacksmith
06-28-2013, 09:51 PM
Well in Maryland starting Monday the first of several, already passed, gas tax increases takes effect and all the road and bridge/tunnel tolls in the state increase. :groner:

Bad Water Bill
06-29-2013, 05:44 AM
Well in Maryland starting Monday the first of several, already passed, gas tax increases takes effect and all the road and bridge/tunnel tolls in the state increase. :groner:

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Please do not mention new taxes.

If JELLO (our governor) reads of a NEW tax or way to create one or increase one we here will have it by next year.[smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

Lloyd Smale
06-29-2013, 07:24 AM
personaly i think jblee has the main reason. I live in a very rural area of upper michigan and we have high gas prices up here compared to most places and the town i live in is allway about 5 cents a gallon higher then any other town nearby. Why? because its a tourist town that has lots of traffic through it and the owners of those stations are gready. One station owner lives in a neighboring town and where he lives gas is allways the cheapest of any place in the area. Why because he lives there and would hear the complaining all the time. He makes up for it by raping us. If he raises his price 2 cents within a 1/2 hour every station in town joins him. Sure you could by gas in another town but with the price of gas just driving to another town ends up costing more then your going to save.

I never could figure it out. I worked for the power company all my life and whenever they got a rate increase they had to go to the public service commision and ask for a rate increase and justify why they needed it. Why dont they do the same with these gas companys. Even when i buy propane which changes in price alot i buy it with a contract for a set price for the year. If it goes up the company looses if it goes down i loose. Got to be some way to regulate these theives. Problem there lies in the fact that niether party wants it. The liberal democratics scream green and want all of us driving priuses and chev volts. They cant see why any of us cowboys need a pickup and figure high gas prices will drive them off the roads. The republicans on the other hand have historicaly been mixed up with big oil and stand to make big money off this gas so there in no hurry to change things and make there buddys angry.
A friend of mine told me he was sitting in first class next to a Chevron executive on a flight to Alaska. Around the time that Diesel prices past gasoline prices. He asked the exec why fuel for his new diesel pickup was now more expensive than gasoline. The exec told him if you can afford a diesel pickup, you can afford the fuel. So it certainly sounds like the prices are pushed to what ever the market can handle. My town in more expensive than others around us. And I've alway felt it was because we are at an intersection of state highways.

sparky45
06-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Gas just got cheaper here for some reason, maybe because the 4th isn't over a weekend. Anyhow, I paid $3.11 a gal yesterday, was $3.69 the first of the week.

Bad Water Bill
06-29-2013, 01:16 PM
Yes my gas dropped to $3.49 but diesel is still holding at $4.09

No break for truckers there.

starmac
06-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Yep our diesel dropped w whole nickle a week ago. We are now at a cheap 4.219 .

oneokie
06-29-2013, 03:09 PM

Thread drift; that applies to lots of things in life. Inlaws of the inlaws got a large insurance settlement. Built a mcmansion in an area where the property taxes rise 5% each and every year. Blew through the remainder of the money. Man went to the tax assessors office complaing about his taxes. Was told "if you can't afford to pay the taxes, you should sell to someone who can."

gunoil
06-30-2013, 08:54 AM
Woa, now back on point. This is about commercial trucking. EVERYTHING YOU TOUCH TODAY CAME ON A TRUCK! Remember, 01'fuel was 92 cents. This is where destruction and world order started tearing down america for those @ 60 and above can understand.

grumman581
06-30-2013, 09:14 AM
I just wish that they would quit contaminating our fuel supply with ethanol. I get 16 mpg with REAL gas and 12 mpg with gas that has been contaminated with ethanol. Doesn't make sense at all.

waksupi
06-30-2013, 11:57 AM
The EPA pushed through approval for E15 now. That is 5% more ethanol in the gas. It WILL destroy an engine. We are lucky that our local farm co-op has started carrying plain gasoline, no ethanol added. It's a dime more a gallon, but I get much better mileage with it.

grumman581
06-30-2013, 11:59 AM
The EPA pushed through approval for E15 now. That is 5% more ethanol in the gas. It WILL destroy an engine. We are lucky that our local farm co-op has started carrying plain gasoline, no ethanol added. It's a dime more a gallon, but I get much better mileage with it.

The only time ethanol should be put in a vehicle is on it's way to (via delivery truck) or from (via customer) the liquor store.