PDA

View Full Version : Rediscovering the hobby....

3006guns
09-29-2007, 12:52 PM
It all started with the innocent purchase of some plastic stacking bins at the local dollar store. Each one should hold two hundred rifle brass and maybe a thousand pistol. I began digging through all the boxes and coffee cans that had been sitting undisturbed in my garage for years...let's see, here's some .38 special, 357 magnum, 9mm, .45 auto, .45 colt.....uhh......6.5 Swede, Jap in both calibers, .30-40 Krag, lots of .30-06 (bins are now overflowing) .30 carbine, a bunch of .44 magums (don't even own the gun)....where's all my 7x57 and 8x57? Must be in a different spot........

Both tumblers are growling away, boxes all over the place and I need to send my wife back to the dollar store for more bins. "Wow", she said...."do you really need so much?" I gave her a tolerant look and told her that I haven't finished with the garage yet......then I'll start on the shed.

Of course this means building suitable shelving (for that organized look) with everything sorted and labeled for quick access. With my other interests the shop is getting far too small.

One way or another I'm going to convince her that we need to start SERIOUSLY planning a new house.....with a monster garage. My idea is to build a normal sized home on our three acres, but with a FIVE car garage...two spaces for vehicles, two for shop space and one walled off room for reloading. Since our county taxes only the living space OR separate structures, I think I can beat the assessor at his own game.[smilie=1:

Oh yeah...she gets a sewing room........:roll:

MGySgt
09-30-2007, 07:41 AM
Welcome Back to the madness - The more room we have the more "stuff" we collect.

Drew

Buckshot
10-04-2007, 02:19 AM
Welcome Back to the madness - The more room we have the more "stuff" we collect.

Drew

.............I believe that exactly true. My idea of the perfect house is a 3,000 sq ft shop with attached bathroom and kitchen. What else do you need anyway?

..............Buckshot

Jim
10-04-2007, 05:56 AM
Buckshot, with a little engineering, you can fit a "roll away" bed under the loading bench.

schutzen
10-04-2007, 08:30 AM
I really hate to bust your bubble, but a 5 car garage will not hold a really good reloading set up and two cars. Build a separate building, enjoy your hobby. The insanity keeps you sane!

45 2.1
10-04-2007, 08:41 AM
I really hate to bust your bubble, but a 5 car garage will not hold a really good reloading set up and two cars. Build a separate building, enjoy your hobby. The insanity keeps you sane!

Isn't that the truth, build it big enough to begin with.

Boz330
10-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Isn't that the truth, build it big enough to begin with.

Trust me there is no big enough. My basement is bigger than the house I used to live in and it's not big enough now. And BTW I still have stuff in the old house and moved out 18 years ago. Ditto for my business shop. It is almost twice as big as any other place I worked before and it is getting small now. I slowed the process a little by getting a storage bld. but you fill up what you have.

Bob

Scrounger
10-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Trust me there is no big enough. My basement is bigger than the house I used to live in and it's not big enough now. And BTW I still have stuff in the old house and moved out 18 years ago. Ditto for my business shop. It is almost twice as big as any other place I worked before and it is getting small now. I slowed the process a little by getting a storage bld. but you fill up what you have.

Bob

Nature abhors a vacuum...

MT Gianni
10-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Put a loft over the 5 car garage and a 1 bed apt upstairs. You can have a shooting bench with a rollup door, reloading room on the other side. Gianni