PDA

View Full Version : Pietta 1858 New Army questions

wyofool
06-24-2013, 11:05 PM
I just got one for Father's Day (is life great or what?)
So I ordered an extra cylinder and loading stand for the cylinder and also one for the revolver from Cabela's. I've read and the manuals state that you should fire a cap(or two) through each empty cylinder before re-loading. Can something else be done? How can you do this with the extra cylinder with out putting it in the frame then taking it off? Can compressed air be used? Canned air with the little hose?

Next: The Cabela's book that came with it says use .454 balls and the Pietta book say use .451? so which is it?? or does it really matter?

In all of the safety stuff (there's lots of it) Says load only 5 cylinders, if you are at the range and loading and shooting does it really matter?? There is a notch of the hammer to rest between the nipples.

As you can probably tell this is my first black powder.
I am sure there will be other question. So I'll be back.

slim1836
06-24-2013, 11:24 PM
.454 &.451 can be used, just make sure you are shaving a small ring off the ball as you seat it.
If you can see through the nipple it is clear and you don't need to fire a cap through it, although I do run a wire through it just to make sure it's clear.
Loading 5 is what I do, your mileage may vary due to the situation.

Hope this helps,

Slim

7of7
06-24-2013, 11:45 PM
I load all 6 cylinders on mine, just rest the hammer on the notch between cylinders.. Be sure and give the caps a squeeze to make them slightly oval, otherwise, with the first shot, they might all come off... (had that happen this last weekend.. laughed my butt off about it, and put more caps on) 454 balls are good.. I dont do anything between firings... Just dump more powder in and throw another ball on top... or powder, wad, ball... This is what works for me..

bigted
06-24-2013, 11:58 PM
in todays legal beagle times the company's have to warn about every contingency. however if carrying it loaded in rough country or for a prolonged period of time ... I never load 6...instead I load 5 and rest the hammer on the 6th for safety so it don't get mauled and I wind up shooting my leg like a pard of mine did.

it is time to slug the barrel and also the cylinder chambers. this will tell what to use for diameter on the balls. also use only pure lead that is nice n soft so the lever don't get overworked trying to push in harder balls. when you slug the barrel then you will know what the cylinder SHOULD be. if your barrel measures...{for EXAMPLE} .451 inch ... then the cylinder chambers should be of a .452 or better to cut or swage into the chamber and still have a nice fit into the barrel at the ignition time.

on the blowing a cap thru the nipples ... another way to ensure that the cylinder chambers will fire is to initially cap and pop the chambers but that is just to burn the remaining oil out so it will not contaminate the powder. from then on ... unless you clean up with very moist swabbing ... all that is needed is a nipple pick. after loading ... run the pick into the nipple from the rear to ensure that it is open...[similarly to using a pick on a flintlock system in the touch hole] ... then cap and shoot or be ready to shoot.

make sure you have enough powder in the cylinder for the ball to slightly compress the powder when it is seated...run the pick into the compressed powder slightly ... cap ... shoot ... and wipe that silly grin off yer ugly mug...:drinks:

have a ball friend...this is very fun and addictive.

Mike 56
06-25-2013, 12:23 AM
Larger balls shoot better in my cap guns. I shoot .454 or .457 balls in my Pietta 58 and Walker Colt perfering .457 balls. My Pietta 58 likes a 45 ACP case of FFF powder with no wad and a little bit of Cisco or Blue and Gray pistol patch over the balls. i have a few childrens medicine syringes that i use for putting the Cisco over the balls. I don't fire caps before loading anymore. I swab the chambers with alcohol before load to remove any oil that is in the chambers. I don't want to wast the caps.

wyofool
06-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Thank you everyone for your input.
Got the caps yesterday and should have the proper powder (in my haste I ordered 2F with the caps) tomorrow. Balls from fleabay both sizes to see what works best. Making my own patches and lube. So by the weekend I should be ready to give it a try.

junkpile
06-28-2013, 12:22 AM
I shoot 2F in my '51. It's all that was available at the time. Once I run out, I'll probably switch to 3F, but the 2F works for now. Probably different where you're at, but for me, it was either 2F or don't shoot.

What are you going to do with the patches? Just smear some Crisco over the front of the cylinder. Works fine. Others will probably have special formulas. Those felt chamber cover deals are nice, but they don't sell them at the grocery store, so when mine ran out, that was the end of it.

One thing you should look at, though, is the rifling. I only have a 51 (have a few others on my "want" list, though), but mine came with extremely sharp rifling. The first patch I ran through it got shredded. Patch leftovers were visible throughout the bore. It's taking a lot of time and a lot of careful cleaning.

mazo kid
06-28-2013, 10:56 AM
.....(in my haste I ordered 2F with the caps) tomorrow. Balls from fleabay both sizes to see what works best. Making my own patches and lube. So by the weekend I should be ready to give it a try.
Patches are not used in the cylinders, only for cleaning. If ffg is the only powder you have, just shoot it up. It will work great, maybe foul a little more but that's minor. Have fun!

wyofool
06-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Patches are not used in the cylinders, only for cleaning. If ffg is the only powder you have, just shoot it up. It will work great, maybe foul a little more but that's minor. Have fun!
Opps, I meant "wads" instead of "patches". I know I can shoot without them and may just do that this weekend. I did just get in 3 lbs of fffg today from Graf & Sons. Ordered on the 25th and got it today. So great fun this weekend:D

Outpost75
06-28-2013, 11:58 PM
Only limiting factor is that you must use doft, nearly pure lead, for balls, so that you don't breakthe loadinf lever in seating. Alloy not harder than 1:40 tin lead, in as-cast diameter. ot to exceed. 457" works best.

Sergeant Earthworm
06-29-2013, 02:08 PM
"Capping off" (firing a cap on each cylinder before loading) is not a bad idea but I don't usually do it just because I know my revolver and can count the number of misfires I have had on one hand, always due to not seating the cap properly. If you want to cap off your spare cylinder, put it the gun, cap off, then remove and load it (but don't cap it until after you put it in the gun and are ready to fire).

I have used .451 and .454 RBs with virtually identical accuracy. In some revolvers it does make a difference and is worth trying both just to see which is better in your gun. You could also try .457 RBs if your accuracy isn't good with the smaller balls.

In my estimation, loading only 5 cylinders is a product liability thing. I always load all six with no issues. If you decide to load only five, I would suggest putting a cap on #6 to prevent the hammer falling on a non-capped nipple. As long as you shave a ring of lead from the ball and use the right size caps chain fire is actually a very rare occurrence. To help prevent leading the bore and provide lubrication for the ball, I use a lubed over powder wad and lubricate over the ball with bore butter, wonder lube, or crisco. The wad and lube are also additional insurance against chain fire.

Be warned, your face may hurt after firing due to all the smiling you will be doing 8-). Stay safe and have fun.