PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Kake-Kutter tube

Ohio Rusty
09-29-2007, 09:47 AM
I'm looking to make a tube that fits perfectly over a .358 boolet for cutting out boolets when pan lubing. Lyman used to make something called a Kake-Kutter. When the lube was poured into the pan around the boolets and the lube hardened, the cutter was pushed down around the boolet and 'cut' the boolet out of the lube like a plug. You then just pushed the boolet out of the cutter tube with a wooden dowel. I'm looking to do the same thing, but I want to find a rifle shell that would have a .359 or .360 I.D. after cutting off the neck and head. That would make the brass cutter tube. It can be a tapered shell also. If anyone can suggest what caliber would work, maybe I can scrounge around at a gun shop or a shooting range to find that rifle shell to try. I'd like to post the results here for future pan lubers to try.
Thanx in advance ....
Ohio Rusty

Jon K
09-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Fired case- drill out the primer pocket to dowel size for pushing out the lubed boolit.
I use this method to lube my BP Boolits.

Jon

Dale53
09-29-2007, 10:04 AM
I have pan lubed thousands of BPCR bullets by using 9" cake pans (got them at the thrift store for nearly nothing). After the lube has pulled away from the sides of the pan, but while the bullets and lube is still quite warm, I pop the lube cake with bullets out of the pie pan. I then set the bullet cake on a newspaper covered table with the first row of bullets sticking over the side of the table. I then push the bullets out with one hand (thumb) into my other hand waiting underneath. The bullets come out perfectly lubed with NO extra lube. It works perfectly and you need NO tools to get in the way.

If you are using pointed bullets or have office softened hands, you might want to make a "thumb stall" (leather or heavy cloth socket) to protect the thumb.

I use Emmert's Home Mix lube for both black powder and some smokeless loads (it works VERY well with Schuetzen loads - plain base lead bullet at up to 1500 fps with smokeless).

Dale53

JudgeBAC
09-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Does anyone know why Lee quit making the Kake Cutter?

Ohio Rusty
09-29-2007, 10:36 AM
I tried something similiar to that Dale, but the lube pulled out of the boolet grooves . Then I tried it cold and that was even worse. I thought the boolets would 'snap' out of the cold lube. So much for untried theory. Pan rolling works OK, I just want the grooves to be more full. The lube btw is a 50/50 mix of JPW and Beeswax.
Ohio Rusty

twotoescharlie
09-29-2007, 10:53 AM
check your local hobby shop, they have brass tubing in many different sizes

TTC

Dale53
09-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Ohio Rusty;
If you are interested, I have an article I wrote for the Single Shot Rifle Journal that is REAL specific on pan lubing with a specific lube that WORKS.

Just write me direct at my e-mail address.

Dale53

woody1
09-29-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm looking to do the same thing, but I want to find a rifle shell that would have a .359 or .360 I.D. after cutting off the neck and head. That would make the brass cutter tube. It can be a tapered shell also. If anyone can suggest what caliber would work, maybe I can scrounge around at a gun shop or a shooting range to find that rifle shell to try. I'd like to post the results here for future pan lubers to try.
Thanx in advance ....
Ohio Rusty

Don't cut off the neck and use most anything that shoots 35. Size the neck to whatever you want prior to removing the head. I use 35 Remington with a piece of hard plastic tubing attached. Seems as though I may have also used 30-06 with neck opened up also. HTH Regards, Woody

Scrounger
09-29-2007, 01:45 PM
You could just look at the cartridge case drawings in almost any loading manual for that but that is going farther than need be. A deprimed .357 Rem Max will work fine without any alteration. Also try this: Stuff it full of latex or foam rubber; cut out your bullet and the latex will do a pretty good job of ejecting it from the brass case without using a dowel.

Ohio Rusty
09-29-2007, 02:11 PM
Thanx Scrounger. The only reloading manual I have is the very first Lee reloading booklet they published ..... probably in the 50's. If I need any reloading data, I usually just search the internet. The data is up to date. I probably ought to buy a reloading manual someday, but with all the different ones out there, and all the differences and conflicting info between them all, it's hard to actually pick which is the right one. If I were to post that as a question, I bet I'd get 20 or more different answers on Books that people swear by!!. I only currently load for 2 different pistol calibers anyway.... 38/357 and 380. Those are the only two smokeless powder guns I own (not including the Jennings .22). (blackpowder long guns and pistols are a different story .....)
Ohio Rusty
Viva la flintlock .......

Scrounger
09-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Don't swear by any of them. I'll probably get criticized for this but I think you only need one because the only data you need from it is starting loads, you find the top load yourself. Problem is that no manual lists data with all the possible powders. It helps a lot that all the powder manufacturers have loading data on their website which you can get free, of course.

Ohio Rusty
09-29-2007, 10:51 PM
I have the answer to my dilemma ...... It's either a pen top or a pen body as a bullet cutter.... (the kind of pen you write with). They are perfectly round, thin and easily obtainable. I checked all the pens I had in the house, and either they were too small or too large. Some were close. I think I found pen i.d. sizes in everything from 17 caliber (cross pens) to 44 magnum (sharpie's) ...but no .358. I have tons of different pens at work so I'll try those. I'll come up with the perfect one soon. The inner diameter of a .30-30 case after the neck is removed is between .380 and .382.
Ohio Rusty

The Double D
09-30-2007, 12:41 AM
Rusty,

Up thread somene posted the very best kake kutter you can find.. A fired un sized cartridge case from the rifle you are shooting. Drill the head out for a dowel to eject the bullets after cutting.

castshooter-too
09-30-2007, 06:42 AM
Try the fired 35 rem. case works like a charm.

add the latex like you'll find on the bag gloves
just cut off a finger from glove and stuff into case
chamfer inside and out test on boolit of choice.
your done!:drinks:

BRUCE

testhop
09-30-2007, 08:17 AM
I Would Just Take A Fired Case 35cal Or Realey Any Case Close Make A Tabor Plug
360 Od To Fit Drive The Plug In To Open Thecase Mouth Up Drill Out Base For A Dow To Push Out Lubed Slug This Is Cheap So You Are Allowed Some Mistakes
3006 Is One To Look At You Just Lube The Neck Good No Need Worry To Much Lube Now Put The Proper Sheel Holder In The Loading Press Put What Ever Die Of The
In 358 Cal You Have On Hand .turn Down The Expanding Button Till You Can See It Sticking Out Of The Bottom Of The Die Run The Case In Till The Neck Is Expanded Then Use Your Tabor Rod This Worked For Me

Testhop

Hud
09-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Rusty,

I use a 30-30 case cut off 1.280" with the primer hole altered a little and a pop rivet pushed thru the inside of the case and an ink pen spring on the rivet shaft a attach top part of the rivet. It slides over the 357 bullet, cuts the bulletr from the lube and push the rivet and it pushes the bullet out of the case. Like a syringe, well kind of.

Hud

cattleskinner
09-30-2007, 08:32 PM
I had the same dilema a couple of months ago when I was looking for a cutter for 357 boolits. An old tapered shaft golf club works great...cut off a bit smaller than needed, and then use a grinder and take a little off at a time till it just clears, then taper the outside edges to have a sharp cutter to go through the lube easier. Cut off the other end, and the only boolits you have to push out are the last two when you are done with the pan, all the rest fall out of the top after you cut out 5-6. It takes less time to make one than it did for me to type how to do it.

~Amos

GSM
10-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Try these folks - looks like they would make any size cutter.

http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm

Scroll down about 1/2 the page.

hollow-point
10-05-2007, 07:21 AM
gsm, what a fantastic site for 310 fanciers! thank you,thank you,thank you.!!!!!! kake-cutters@ custom cast bullet sizing dies for 310 tools. once again this site delivers the goods!!!!!!!!!

Powderkeg
10-05-2007, 01:25 PM
ohio rusty,

Just go and get yourself an golf iron steel shaft. they are usually 36 inches long and tapered.
Then get a copper pipe cutter and you are in business.